WAG Not Allowed to Repeat Levels

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

TumbleTimes4

Proud Parent
Why do certain gyms not allow a gymnast to repeat a level? I know of a gym that does not allow their gymnasts to repeat levels 5 or 6. If they can’t make it out of 5 or 6 within a year, they tell the girls they are moving them to Xcel. What is the possible reasoning behind this?

Age. They believe its only worth training a gymnast to Level 10 if they make it there by 13. If not they are worthless and may as well do xcel

One gym in our area like this. Many gymnasts who wanted to repeat and continue JO moved to our gym. And our gym has a much higher D1 recruiting rate than that gym. That gym has made a few elites but most burn out, get injured or fed up before they reach college

OD didn't make Level 10 by age 12. According to this she's worthless:)
My DD is 12 and currently a level 7 working towards level 8. She is just starting 7th grade, so has PLENTY of time to get to level 10, yet at our old gym, there was a race to get to level 10 (You're the youngest level 10 I have ever had! You can be level 10 by 10!) This was the common refrain from the HC. There was only value in you if you are young and willing to put in tons of extra hours (morning practices, privates, on top of 5 days a week or more of scheduled practices in the evening. If you, as a parent, were not willing to pay for private lessons, pull your kid out of traditional school your athlete didn't get spotted, didn't get offered extra drills, got no feedback in the moment. Your athlete would get "assignments" and spend the entire practice with their squad of teammates while the coaches rotated with the superstars. There was the occasional shout across the gym to "fix it!" but nothing helpful to actually make corrections. My DD is likely repeating 7 this year, but that sounds better than chucking 8 skills she had to learn on her own without any coaching, feedback, or proper training.

And yes, my daughter felt worthless which is why we left.

My DD is 12 and currently a level 7 working towards level 8. She is just starting 7th grade, so has PLENTY of time to get to level 10, yet at our old gym, there was a race to get to level 10 (You're the youngest level 10 I have ever had! You can be level 10 by 10!) This was the common refrain from the HC. There was only value in you if you are young and willing to put in tons of extra hours (morning practices, privates, on top of 5 days a week or more of scheduled practices in the evening. If you, as a parent, were not willing to pay for private lessons, pull your kid out of traditional school your athlete didn't get spotted, didn't get offered extra drills, got no feedback in the moment. Your athlete would get "assignments" and spend the entire practice with their squad of teammates while the coaches rotated with the superstars. There was the occasional shout across the gym to "fix it!" but nothing helpful to actually make corrections. My DD is likely repeating 7 this year, but that sounds better than chucking 8 skills she had to learn on her own without any coaching, feedback, or proper training.

And yes, my daughter felt worthless which is why we left.
That gym sounds awful! Hope she is happy in her new gym and progresses at her pace.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back