Parents Not feeling well

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Tootsmom

Proud Parent
Hi guys, hope someone can help me out here. DD had strep about a month ago (has been retested and is fine) ever since she gets a headache which leads to nausea during almost every practice. She stays for the whole practice (I only arrive with a few minutes left), but she looks like she is dragging and definitely not putting her best foot forward. She drinks plenty of water during. Any ideas? I will take her to the doctors next week if it continues. Thank you for any help or advice

Did they do a quick swab or send it to a lab to be cultured? The reason I ask is that my daughter had strep once and her only symptoms were a stomach ache, headache, and on/off low-grade fever. The quick throat swab was negative; there just wasn't enough bacteria in her throat. But when the doctor sent the sample to the lab it came back positive a few days later.

Another idea is that the antibiotics messed up her system. Is she taking probiotics?

Back to the doctor..................

many possibilities, flu, mono are the first 2 that come to mind.

Allergies (just presenting)

General malingering "creeping crud" aka common cold. Going around here like crazy.
Also our company due this weekend canceled. She had the honor of being the first official (as in actual positive flu test) flu case at her urgent care yesterday.

Reactions: sce
It possibily might be migraine triggered by a food sensitivity??

Some culprits I've heard of...
Processed meats, preservative put on packaged fruit such as apple slices, msg, pickles, citrus fruit..

No answers but my DD is going through something similar after having pneumonia this summer. I took her in for blood tests last weekend, pretty much all of which were either negative or inconclusive. She's still having a few follow-up tests. I'm wondering if her previous illness and the antibiotics she was on just made her more susceptible to other crud so that, what seems like one never-ending illness is actually several different things back-to-back. Definitely worth having her tested for mono and Lymes though. DD was feeling better yesterday so I'm hoping maybe things are looking up. Hopefully your DD will feel better soon too!

Thanks everyone. She is a terrible sleeper so she maybe be exhausted and we are always on the go. As far as mono (I had it as a kid don't know remember all the details) she feels fine other times of the day it's just during and after practice. A coach suggested drinking a little Gatorade so we are going to try that tonight

If she is otherwise entirely healthy but feeling ill only during and after practice I would be thinking about possible environmental issues at the gym. And/or that her symptoms are triggered by physical activity and what that might mean.

Could she be not eating enough before practice and her blood sugar is dropping? Snack before and Gatorade during might help. I'd still be inclined to talk to a doctor,

Maybe a sinus infection or just sinus congestion? Could be causing headache and I always get nauseous when too much mucus hits my tummy, which would happen during lots of activity. And dizzy would be caused by inner ear and/or sinus blockage moving around when she spins and turns.

Maybe have her checked for strep again? We had a problem a few years ago with strep where the initial, normal symptoms went away but found out later the strep didn't fully go away. Ended up with joint paint, etc. It was only found out with a blood test that the strep was still lingering in her body. Stronger meds and she recovered fine.

No answers but my DD is going through something similar after having pneumonia this summer. I took her in for blood tests last weekend, pretty much all of which were either negative or inconclusive. She's still having a few follow-up tests. I'm wondering if her previous illness and the antibiotics she was on just made her more susceptible to other crud so that, what seems like one never-ending illness is actually several different things back-to-back. Definitely worth having her tested for mono and Lymes though. DD was feeling better yesterday so I'm hoping maybe things are looking up. Hopefully your DD will feel better soon too!

How long ago did she have pneumonia? I had pneumonia and it literally took 6-8 weeks to feel even half way normal again. Can't imagine having to do what all these girls do while trying to recover too.

OP- My first thought is mono. Depending on throat culture vs swab, the doctor may have assumed or she did actually have strep but the worn down, headache, sounds like mono to me. Not that I'm an expert! Lol

Same symptoms with my dd. Just heard of two cases of mono of acquaintances kids who also live in our town and same age as DD. I thought it was just a bad cold, but taking DD to doc to check for mono.

My DD had something similar last fall. Started with a nasty cold and progressed. Suspected mono when we realized she'd been exposed, but tests were negative. It took my DD weeks to start to really feel normal again.

My DD also used to get headaches mid-practice for a stretch. We did Gatorade and a snack half way through and it helped a lot. She ALSO (unrelated) gets migraines with food triggers (nitrate/nitrites), so I completely agree with some above comments... It has to have an onset sometime. My DD was in 2nd grade.

Strep can be pretty rough on their bodies. She may genuinely still be recovering, but a trip to the doc is likely not a bad idea (test for mono and a CBC).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back