WAG Not Improving despite practicing everyday

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I’m a recreational gymnast, around level 3-4. I did gymnastics when I was younger and then quit, but came back into it last year. I practice nearly everyday, have gym practice twice a week, do conditioning also everyday, and religiously stretch. Despite all this, I’m not seeing much improvement on any event except for maybe bars. I’ve been trying to get my front walkover for THREE MONTHS but have only failed as I can barely do a front limber. I can do a front handspring on the trampoline, which, pathetically, is there hardest skill I know. Should I practice more hours a week or just give it time?
tldr; I’m trying my hardest in gymnastics and not seeing improvement.

I’m a recreational gymnast, around level 3-4. I did gymnastics when I was younger and then quit, but came back into it last year. I practice nearly everyday, have gym practice twice a week, do conditioning also everyday, and religiously stretch. Despite all this, I’m not seeing much improvement on any event except for maybe bars. I’ve been trying to get my front walkover for THREE MONTHS but have only failed as I can barely do a front limber. I can do a front handspring on the trampoline, which, pathetically, is there hardest skill I know. Should I practice more hours a week or just give it time?
My guess is it is less of a form issue than strength or reps. Give it time and maybe ask your coach.

My guess is it is less of a form issue than strength or reps. Give it time and maybe ask your coach.
Might seem irrelevant but could height have anything to do with it? When I quit I was around 5 foot and now I’m nearly 5 foot 7 inches, and still getting taller. I could do a walkover before.

Might seem irrelevant but could height have anything to do with it? When I quit I was around 5 foot and now I’m nearly 5 foot 7 inches, and still getting taller. I could do a walkover before.
It could but so long as everything has grown proportionally it shouldn't. Maybe if you haven't gotten used to being taller. I'd say give it some time. I'm around 5 foot 2 inches but there are girls at my gym easily 6 foot 2 inches with no issues.

Two practices a week isn't much, especially if they're not incredibly dialed in. My daughter has a non-contiguous schedule (one day of practice, then a break, and then a bunch of days in a row) and the break in the middle is clearly somewhat disruptive. I think more days in the gym would do you well.

Also, people naturally lose skills, or struggle to maintain them, as they grow. My daughter grew an inch pretty fast and went from being able to make every kip to making 1/10 with bad form.

It’s probably a technique issue. Can you post a video?

Don’t over do the bridges, limbers, back bends etc. the back can’t take too many of them, especially past the age of about 10.

If you've grown quickly it may be a flexibility issue. How are your splits and your shoulder flexibility?
My shoulders are perpetually sore so I’m not sure about that, but for my splits my calf touches the ground but not my thighs yet. My middle splits are improving, however!

With your front walkover, try something new every time you try it, take your coaches corrections and think about them or ask your coach what you can do to get better! Your coach is there to help you succeed, so don't be scared to ask how you can improve!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back