Parents Not mature enough for level

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Dad1234

Proud Parent
Hi,
I need advice from all the experienced parents. My daughter is 7 and is training xcel gold for next season. I don’t think she is mature enough to safely throw some of the gold skills such as front tucks, back tucks, and jumping to the high bar. Physically, she can do those things, but I worry about her safety as she has no concept of getting hurt. She is absolutely fearless and will attempt to throw any skill, given the chance. She is the youngest on her team, training with kids age 9 and up with most of the team being 10 and up, so she isn’t going to be as mature as her teammates but mentally she needs to step it up and be as mature as her teammates in order to be safe. She absolutely wants to train for gold as that is where her friends are. She has come home with a couple of minor sprains since switching levels and it has me concerned. She would be heart broken if I moved her back to silver, as she worked hard to earn her spot on gold. Any suggestions on how to make her grasp the importance of safety in the gym? There is a good coach to athlete ratio but I know the coaches eyes can’t be on her every minute. We have talked about her being safe and focused. I’d love to hear suggestions on how to help her grasp the importance of being mature when practicing skills in order to prevent injury. Thanks.

I would recommend that you discuss this with the coaches. If they feel comfortable with her training that level and you trust the coaches, then I would let it be. Minor sprains are going to happen - fearless or not. Sometimes it is worse when they are cautious because the second guess themselves, bail out and get hurt.

Trust the coaches. They won’t let her do skills that they don’t think she’s capable of. If she can already physically do them, then there is no reason to hold her back.

Gym injuries don't always happen while the kids are actually doing gymnastics. My daughter and a handful of her teammates have sprained their ankles just walking around in the gym.

If you are concerned about safety, one thing to ask about is how much actual practice the kids get with techniques for safely falling or bailing out of skills. They should be drilled on safety rolls, etc. until they become second nature.

If you are worried about her goofing off and doing dangerous things behind the coaches' backs, I'd observe a practice (without her knowledge if possible) to see what's really going on, talk with the coaches, and temporarily pull her from gym as a consequence if necessary. Dropping her back a level won't make any difference if she is playing around.

Dad1234 -

Take this advice in the spirit it is intended from a dad of a now retired former L10 gymnast - TRUST THE COACHES to make this kind of decision. I have been where you are; you want to protect, shelter, and make the decisions for your dd. You must come to grips with the fact that in her gymnastics career, you are not the best decision-maker. If you trust her coaches, you must trust in the fact that they won't let her do something that she is not capable of doing. Get used to doing this now; if she ever makes the switch to JO and the upper optional levels, you are going to have to practice this skill very frequently. Gymnastics is your dd's sport, not yours. You are paying the coaches to coach; let them do their job.

Good Luck (and hang in there)

Maturity is not the same as being able to throw skills.

Her coaches are responsible for deeming her being able to do a skill safely.

ypu Seem to think, being scared would make her safer. I’d venture to say it makes them less sage…

And gymnastics is a scary sport as a parent. Flips on the air…… on a 4 inch beam……. Above and from bar to bar…… will always scare you as a parent. ALWAYS

My kid has had 5 injuries during he gymnastics career. 3 on the simplest moves. One not even in gym, 1 from overuse doing a simple (in gymnastics terms) skill.

I think it's more about if she's comfortable being around all the older kids because it might feel uncomfortable. If shes already ing gold at level 7 than she could go really far. The coaches won't let her do something she's not capable of.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back