Parents Not moving up levels due to other sports

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We do have a level 10 that has managed to do ballet at a high level and gym, but as a rule of thumb our girls just do one sport once they get to the upper levels. Not sure if its a rule, but it does seem there is only so much one kid can do with the training required of our upper levels.

After reading all responses I guess I understand why we are at the Y. We have gone back and forth and all around with the decision, but for now and for her this is the best place for her. When she was young I resisted her only doing gymnastics. I wanted her to experience the other sports and team atmospheres. I told myself that as she got older she could decide. Secretly I did not want her to lose the flexibility to play a school sport in high school, but I realized if she chose that path, at that point it would be hers to choose - I just didn't want to make that decision for her at a young age. Mainly it has to do with her older brothers who played soccer through tout middle and high school (one now D1 player and other may follow same path). It was such a great high school experience for the, that I could lt imagine her not following that path. At this point it could go either way, but she played field hockey and track for middle school. Not sure what she will decide for higschool.

so I have mixed thoughts on that rule. I get it, but I don't. Not every level 8 9 or 10 is destined for elitE or college gymnastics. My daughter has friends at private gyms who are level 8s and out of the 4 or 5 only 1 seems even interested in college and making it to level 10. The others? They do dabble in school sports and activities, and in their case very wisely. Part of me thinks that the girl who really really wants to strive for collegiate or elite already knows the dedication to their sport that is needed, so chances are the greater percentage of them are not going to play soccer for school. But the others may either not be interested, not be interested in what it will take to get there, but they want to do the best they can at gymnastics too. Will they naturally Peter out at level 8? Perhaps they will and there is nothing wrong with that - but if a gymnast can progress to level 9 or 10 and play a school sport - I would encourage that girl (if she was my daughter) to fine a gym that will work with her.

I guess this is why there is a different path for everyone, and it.s good that there are gyms around to accommodate different paths.

I think it is important for kids to be well rounded and many want to try other sports. Our gym allows it, even at higher levels as long as it does not interfere with gymnastics

And it has definitely changed how my daughter thinks of her coaches as they have told the girls they only want girls who want to be college gymnasts by level 8 or they should quit.

I like the rule because it sets a standard for the kids who want to have a chance at doing something more than participate, like qualifying for regionals and realistic hopes of going beyong. There's too much of a chance for kids to look back and say something like "Why did I work so hard to get so little" because the hard woork they put in was lumped together with other sports and activities.

I genuinely feel multiple activites are great for a kid unless they want to go beyond L8, because L9 and L10 have skill requirements that put kids, and their coaches, that dabble at a distinct disadvantage. Injuries are another concern for multi sport kids. We all know how hard it is to recover from an injury, and it doesn't matter which sport it's from. What does matter is the increased risk of injury because the multi sport kids aren't totally into every specific sport's conditioning and training.

I'm surprised the coaches chose to use college as a yardstick for success. I've trained kids that went on to compete in college, and kids that did not. No matter what their fortunes, with respect to college, almost every child felt the rewards of their hard work and dedication. So I guess my statement would be that they can stay at L8 until they decide to do what it takes to train safely with a chance of "success" according to their goal to be an L9 or L10 gymnast.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back