Parents Not-so-great days at practice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

Deleted member 26368

My DD was a bit "off her game" today at practice, per her coach (and the look on DD's face after practice, LOL) . Kind of sluggish and not putting in 100% effort, which is unusual for her. However, I know that DD was tired and probably didn't eat as much as I would like before practice. I'm not concerned at all, but I'm curious how other parents help their kids bounce back from less-than-stellar days at the gym?

It's not a bad thing to have good days and bad days. It helps develop resilience, of course too many bad days can have a negative compounding effect, but every now and again its great to just be able to be okay with not being as good as we had hoped.

Keeping a training journal can help, and when there is a bad day it can help identify what might have caused it being hungry, tired, frustrated about not getting a skill etc. So she can identify things to do in the future to reduce these bad days,

As a coach, sometimes the team has a bad day, because it can be catching. In these circumstances I try to make sure we end on a high note. Perhaps by doing something fun, or I teach them, new skill not a hard one but just one they don't usually do as its not what we focus on in the curriculum.

It usually goes like this:

- I ask her if she wants to talk about it
- she gets mad, huffs and says no
- I ask her if she’d like something to eat (since she’s always hungry, and now I’ve made her hangry)
- she says yes and begrudgingly asks for some junk food id usually nix
- I remind her that not every day needs to go great, good or even remotely decent. Sometimes even your best event can Have an off day. It’s cool, you’re there 5 days a week, every day is just a new chance to try again
- she grumbles that she knows
- if she’s not mad at herself but is actually physically hurt or emotionally upset, she’ll usually bring it up at this point
- if she’s just mad at herself, I Google some really stupid fun fact to tell, like about Horse zebra donkey hybrids. She’s 9 so this seems like a suitable distraction

I let her know this is normal. Fix what she has control over, example better food choices and move on.

I Google some really stupid fun fact to tell, like about Horse zebra donkey hybrids. She’s 9 so this seems like a suitable distraction
We go to a private (Company Owned) lake a few times every year. There is this one farm along the way that had both a zorse and a zonkey ... and they are half-siblings (same zebra daddy). We stopped at the farm once when OG was 9 and YG was 6. We got to talk to the family that lived there. It was interesting.

I hadn't either until we stopped and talked to the farm family. We just thought they had funny looking zebras ;)
All those National Geographic and PBS nature shows did not prepare me for this. Mind blown!

We go to a private (Company Owned) lake a few times every year. There is this one farm along the way that had both a zorse and a zonkey ... and they are half-siblings (same zebra daddy). We stopped at the farm once when OG was 9 and YG was 6. We got to talk to the family that lived there. It was interesting.
I love Zonkeys lol - there’s also Zonys (zebra pony). We were at a zoo that had all 3!

Had plenty of these days! Usually just mad at themselves, maybe they didn't make a skill today they found easy yesterday or something. Depends on the kid but usually watching something funny on TV, calling a friend or some extra mum-time does the trick. If there is any concrete reason for them to have a bad day they would tell me.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back