Parents Not sure what to do with my daughter

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

twinmomma

Proud Parent
Two years ago my daughter switched from JO 4 to T&T. She's done well, but this year's been a bit of a struggle. Losing a coach right before nationals, who honestly checked out a long time before that. Girl drama over the summer with gym friends.

She's qualified for nationals both years, and I think with the right coaching, she could hit elite by high school (she's a level 8 right now, and 12 years old). She told me yesterday she doesn't really want to do any bigger skills and doesn't want to be doing T&T when she's 18 like some of her current role models. She's starting talking about college and medical school and some other lifelong goals.

In the meantime, she's back to showing an interest in acro. It's an option at our gym with coaches who aren't going anywhere and who she knows well and trusts. It's a growing team and they are in the middle of tryouts. I told her I'd take her, and of course it's at the same exact time as the T&T practice she normally would be at, which caused her pause. I'm just having a hard time getting her to identify her true intent and whether she really wants to try acro or if she just wants to give up T&T and gym altogether. Thoughts?

Ugh-I’m so sorry she is struggling. I agree that I would take her to the Acro tryouts. Tell her she can decide afterwards if she wants to do Acro or T and T or neither. It might help her to remember she can still do trampoline at open gym and can always come back to it in the future if she decides to do that. Also, if she is turning her sights more towards college, Acro might have an additional draw since many colleges are starting acrobatics and tumbling teams. I hope she decides she loves it (or it renews her love for T and T) and the decision is clear after doing the tryouts.

I'd take her to the acro tryouts. In doing so she might figure out what she really wants and so will you. ;-) Good luck!

She's going tonight. We watched some acro videos. We figure if there's a good partner or trio for her she'd be a level 8. So we'll see how today goes. Interestingly, Acro tryouts are at the same time as T&T practice, so she'll be at acro with all her T&T friends at practice too. It'll be interesting to see how she handles that spotlight. I did touch base with one of our jr. elite acro girl's mom and she had told her daughter mine would be there tonight and she said she'd welcome her under her wing essentially. So that should help.

I’m glad she is going-I hope she loves it and it is a good environment for her! Let us know how it goes.

She had a blast. There was a bit of a moment with the current T&T sub coach that I wont' go into, but DD will be attending acro on Friday as well. She's all but made up her mind, but I want the shiny to wear off a bit and see how she feels Friday to be sure.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back