Nutrition & Eating with Long hrs of training

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jumeriah

Proud Parent
I am a new Gym mum, as in my child started gym at the beginning of term 2 this year. She currently does 9.5hrs a week training. We just received notification that she is progressing to a higher level and her new hours will be 18hrs. She finishes school at 315pm and has to be at gym from 4pm-830pm.

My concern is how does she eat dinner? My friend said feed her before she goes to gym and then make her a milkshake when you pick her up.

What do you feed your gymnast for dinner on the run etc?

mine starts at 5 but we have a 30 min car ride to get there. I make a big bowl of pasta for her (usually with cheese) before she goes, and she has a tuna or chicken sandwich and a hot chocolate in the car on the way home, plus a bun/cake. She has a packed lunch at school.

I do exactly as your friend suggested. I feed dd on the way to gym and give her a milkshake plus flapjack or nuts or something when she gets out.

dd has a packed lunch for school so I try and give her a non sandwich based pack-up. I use those thermal 'cups' and make noodles, or pasta, or even sausages, baked beans and chunks of potato. I try and vary the other items - yoghurts, fruit, cheese chunks etc. She doesn't like to feel too full before gym and I've been known to check her flask and threaten not to let her do gym if she hasn't eaten enough!

I give mine a substantial snack after school (3:00 to 3:30) while she does homework. We leave for gym about 3:45 so she can get there and change and be ready for her 4:30 practice. She gets a 5-10 minute break half way through practice and eats a lighter snack then.

she is done at 8:30 which gets us home around 9. She has dinner then and then off to bed. Not ideal to eat so late and immediately get to bed but I don't know a better way for our situation. Dinner before practice wouldn't work for us.

also my dd is a grazer who eats handfuls several times a day rather than a child who will sit down and finish a plateful of food.

mine starts at 5 but we have a 30 min car ride to get there. I make a big bowl of pasta for her (usually with cheese) before she goes, and she has a tuna or chicken sandwich and a hot chocolate in the car on the way home, plus a bun/cake. She has a packed lunch at school.

We do this too. I try to do carbs and fruit on the way with maybe a cheese stick or yogart and protein for on the way home. Best wishes on her new training group :)

we head straight to the gym from school. Two days per week one of my kids doesn't get out until 8:30 (I have 3 kids doing team). Before I pick them up from school I pack their "snack". It consists of enough food to have a good after school snack, a quick during practice snack, then dinner to eat on the way home. Some days they run through that and I have to scramble to come up with something else; but that is pretty rare. I try to over pack rather than under pack, figuring anything not eaten can be used another day.

Things that I pack include sandwiches, yogurt, chocolate milk, gold fish crackers, string cheese, sliced cucumbers, sliced bell peppers, apples, apple sauce, other fruit, bagels, sandwich wraps, peanut butter with apple slices (this is one that they eat in the car, just in case anyone at the gym is allergic), soup in a thermos, carrots...

I'm sorry, I just realized this was a country forum. It doesn't show that information on the mobile version. I hope I didn't intrude.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back