Parents Nutrition guidance

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

tortuga

Proud Parent
My gymmie is 10yo, 51", and 57# and solid muscle. Probably a lot like yours.

Mine eats like a bird. Well, a happy morning bird who likes two bowls of cereal or whole grain pancakes or whole grain egg-infused french toast but then barely pecks at anything much of the rest of the day, regardless of morning or evening workout. It's a bear to get her to eat. I cut back her morning meal amount to leave her hungrier at other times but she still pecks. She's healthy, performing well, sleeping well, but sometimes crabby, likely due to food needs.

She likes to understand the wheres and whys of everything so what I'd like to do it get me or her a book/webpage on nutritional guidance for young athletes. Most of what I see online is for teenage/highschool athletes. Does anyone have a pointer to a good young athlete nutrition guide whether geared to parent or child? She'd do better with numbers (you need 25g or protein) rather than vague "eat whole foods and sleep well."

Thanks!

It will be hard to find solid numbers as size and activity intensity varies so much.

Similar situation. DD is 49" tall, 49lbs and 9 yrs old. She'll eat cereal, PB&J, and fruit and some salad. Oh, and chicken strips from just about anywhere. I swear she's had chicken strips in 5 different states so far. Beyond that she's INSANELY picky. Last night DW made shredded pork tacos. Very mellow spice-wise. Both my kids turned up their noses. She will eat hard boiled egg whites and scrambled eggs, so I may have to work that in more often. But holy cow this kid drives me crazy. It must be punishment for my pickiness as a kid. LOL.

One point- let her eat in the morning. My DD has a nutritionist as part of her squad, DD had got into a cycle of not eating in the morning, picking throughout the day, going training, working up a huge energy deficit ( and not training efficiently to to lack of energy). Which meant she wanted to eat a lot after practice, which meant she wasn't hungry in the morning, picked until training.....

The nutritionist also told us to let her eat to appetite. It's impossible to work out the calorie needs of a child who is training, as you don't know what growth phase they're in. Focus on healthy, energy dense food like peanut/nut butter, avocado, etc.

When the hunger grumpiness hits I give mine a chocolate milkshake. Easy to drink and digest, especially if "not hungry". Lots of fat, protein and carbs, perfect post workout.

Set up a meeting with a nutritionist who works with children and athletes. Many insurances will cover the visit and the information and piece of mind you will get is very helpful. If you are in the NY/CT area, I know a great one!!

Reactions: sce
I printed some information from these links - she will like that they have gymnast-specific advice and not just "athlete." Maybe some post-workout dinner will yet be consumed.

I recall not wanting to eat right after a big workout, but I still ate! And clearly she is still doing alright most of the time, but I want good established habits now and self-awareness of nutritional need/value :)

My gymmie is the same way. 55 1 inches, 45 pounds, 10 years old and nothing but muscle. Like, she looks like a skeleton with muscle. It is not a good look. I try to get her to eat more, but she is happy to skip dinner after practice, if I let her. She would rather snack than eat a decent meal, even though I tell her the numbers and the whys (I am a bit of a nutrition numbers nut). She loves her carbs and would eat buttered noodles every meal. Drives me bonkers.

My gymmie is the same way. 55 1 inches, 45 pounds, 10 years old and nothing but muscle. Like, she looks like a skeleton with muscle. It is not a good look. I try to get her to eat more, but she is happy to skip dinner after practice, if I let her. She would rather snack than eat a decent meal, even though I tell her the numbers and the whys (I am a bit of a nutrition numbers nut). She loves her carbs and would eat buttered noodles every meal. Drives me bonkers.

Hey, I know who you are talking about! ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back