Coaches Observing other gyms?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gym-and-Tacos

Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
Hi y'all! I've been thinking for a while about possibly asking other gyms if I could come observe a day of classes as I like to see how different people/gyms have stations, run a class, teach/breakdown skills, keep it fun for the kids, etc.. I do watch many other gyms online but for me its not quite the same as in person, I'm very much a "In person" learner.
I know this sounds like an odd request I'm just wondering if its an appropriate thing to ask and has anyone else ever done this?
I've coached other sports and most have no problem letting someone observe for a day, However the gymnastics world seems different in that aspect.

(also at my gym we aren't taught how to spot more than basic skills, anything more you have to either find a spotting clinic or use the internet)
(we are a small gym)

Are there other coaches at your gym (or in the area) who would be interested in observing? I'm thinking the best way to approach the scenario is offer to pay "whatever the price" for an [N] hour observation with [X] local coaches. If the price is right, you can split the bill with everyone who wants to come.

My guess is that most gyms wont charge you if you honestly communicate your goals, credentials, and connections.

I think if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't pay more than $100 (USD) for a 3-hour observation session. If they are charging you more, they probably don't want you to come in.

Yes, we have done it.

We changed the way we were doing one of our programs so we got in touch with another gym that was doing something similar and asked if one of our coaches could come and observe.

They happily invited us to come and do so (definitely did not charge us any money).

In Australia it’s common for gyms to do this sort of thing.

Are there other coaches at your gym (or in the area) who would be interested in observing? I'm thinking the best way to approach the scenario is offer to pay "whatever the price" for an [N] hour observation with [X] local coaches. If the price is right, you can split the bill with everyone who wants to come.

My guess is that most gyms wont charge you if you honestly communicate your goals, credentials, and connections.

I think if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't pay more than $100 (USD) for a 3-hour observation session. If they are charging you more, they probably don't want you to come in.
Possibly, I can ask my coworkers but most are planning on leaving soon for other gyms. I was able to contact a semi local gym about doing an observation and they seemed willing to let me come in since I'm not "competition" (my gym is a bit away from theirs). So we'll see how that works out. :)

Yes, we have done it.

We changed the way we were doing one of our programs so we got in touch with another gym that was doing something similar and asked if one of our coaches could come and observe.

They happily invited us to come and do so (definitely did not charge us any money).

In Australia it’s common for gyms to do this sort of thing.
Thank you, I contacted a gym that is a bit away from ours and they agreed on letting me come in to observe since I'm not considered "competition" for their gym. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back