WAG OCD on both elbows (radial head)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymcats

Proud Parent
Hello. My daughter has OCD on her both elbows. We are desperate for information and hope.

She is 10 year old, competed two years of L7 and had been preparing for L8 this coming season. Early April, she told me that her right elbow hurts sometimes. Took her to x-ray on April 20th and did MRI on 29th. The radiologist read the MRI that Osteochondritis Dissecans on radial head. The affected site is Salter-Harris Type IV fracture (but the growth plate is ok). It's been 10weeks not using the elbows. Meanwhile she tried some round-offs etc one day (after 8weeks x-ray since the doctor said she could try), but it was hurting. A few days ago, I took her to another doctor to show the past x-rays and MRI. He did x-ray for left elbow and we found out that left elbow has less but the same condition which proved the cause is overuse (not accident). He said we don't need a surgery just wait to heal, and it would take a year to heal hopefully. I knew it would take time, but we weren't ready to hear "a year". She had a nightmare that night and I had tears thinking what to do.

OCD usually occurs on capitellum, so radial head is rare case. I've spent so much time to research about it but not much studies have been done and it is hard to find information. I know some gymnasts wait several months to see a doctor to find out about the elbow pain. Then they undergo surgery to remove the loose body, and the recovery time is 6month. We caught it in 4-5 weeks since the onset of pain, and what we can do is just wait and it would take a year? Have you heard OCD on radial head? Will it heal? Is there any possibility to undergo surgery on this? One doctor said no casting/bracing necessary, another said let's do casting for 4 weeks. We are going to third doctor next week, trying to figure out what's the best. After shedding many tears, now we are ready to wait to heal them completely but we would like to know anything that would help healing . Any supplements?

Thank you very much for your time.

There is no loose body. The edge(?) of radial head is fractured. On June 2nd x-ray, it looked about the piece would fall off but it was there. The doctor said it is getting better on July 2nd but I could see the line well still. We went to two sport medicine doctors and neither mentioned Panner's disease. I would be relieved if it is not OCD. Panner's disease happens on radial heads?

There is no loose body. The edge(?) of radial head is fractured. On June 2nd x-ray, it looked about the piece would fall off but it was there. The doctor said it is getting better on July 2nd but I could see the line well still. We went to two sport medicine doctors and neither mentioned Panner's disease. I would be relieved if it is not OCD. Panner's disease happens on radial heads?

again, don't speculate. i sent you a PM.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back