Offshoot from the gym opening suggestions thread

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Until there is more testing, opening is not an option. Asymptomatic is a large percentage of the covid-19 human to human spread....why do you think any of these rules will help?
We are in a state that has the ability to test 5,000-40,000 per day. And we have flattened the curve.

We are in NYC so all of this seems very impossible to us. I think the sharing of ideas is so great. Thank you all for posting. I do see issue,however, with a lot of this. I think respiratory droplets are a huge factor in sports. Being asymptomatic and spreading the illness that way is another major issue. Not being close to each other in gymnastics is hard. Our gyms in ny are ways smaller and configuration is prohibits social distancing. Rent is another issue. Also spotting is essential at some point to be safe. Are your kids going back to school too? What online options are people using?

I don't know when our gym might be opening, and I'm OK with that. Our gym just opened a second location, so that might help with limiting crowds, but that's two mortgage bills to pay...
I always thought that the real bread-and-butter of a gymnastics center was the rec kids, and I just don't know how you could maintain the level of students you need to keep things moving.
I've been happy with what our gym has been doing. We have two 2-hour online sessions each week for my son's level. I'm not sure if the girls and/or higher levels are doing more (My son was competing L6, and he was ready to quit, but has decided to drop down to JD, which is a boys level that has fewer hour requirements and routines are optional style.) It's mostly conditioning. Coaches made sure that all boys had equipment they might need to practice at home. So ours brought over a mushroom (how the boys learn/practice pommel if there are girl parents that don't know what it is) and one of those slider things for ab work. I think they also would have brought things like elastic bands, parallettes or something if you didn't already have them at home. I do not know if girls were provided with mini balance beams or something similar or if it was just the boys coach that had that idea. It's been about a month of these online lessons, and now the coaches has designed an upcoming "competition". It's going to consist of things that can safely be done at home, and they've designed a scoring system for them. It seems like it will be cool.
I can't even imagine how hard this must be for older gymnasts who were on their way to nationals and looking at colleges. It sucks. But I'd rather keep everyone safe...

We haven’t heard any plans yet from our gym. I’m sure they will open as soon as it’s legal for them though.

It’s blowing my mind that gyms are opening some places, I just don’t see how any of these measures help when they all grab the same bar, and flip on the same beam/floor. These things can’t be sanitized between each turn. And the HIGH percentage of asymptotic carriers they are finding means checking temps at the door is futile.

Realistically I don’t know that I’ll allow my daughter back in the gym in 2020. Which is heartbreaking to think about. I hope to god I’m wrong and it’s safe before then.my husband has diabetes and kidney disease, his health along with many many others is more important than a sport. :(

We are in NYC so all of this seems very impossible to us. I think the sharing of ideas is so great. Thank you all for posting. I do see issue,however, with a lot of this. I think respiratory droplets are a huge factor in sports. Being asymptomatic and spreading the illness that way is another major issue. Not being close to each other in gymnastics is hard. Our gyms in ny are ways smaller and configuration is prohibits social distancing. Rent is another issue. Also spotting is essential at some point to be safe. Are your kids going back to school too? What online options are people using?
Our gym is also in NY and I just cant see opening any time soon. If schools and businesses are closed how can gyms open when the team have no choice but to be in close proximity. How can the girls have an effective workout if they cant be spotted? I pray this all resolves soon. I am saddened for my daughter and all the other girls who have worked so hard and to missed out on states. I also fear that the longer the wait, the harder will be to get back into the game. But we really need to think safety here too.

We are in a state that has the ability to test 5,000-40,000 per day. And we have flattened the curve.
How large is your population if you answered 10,000 to 80,000 than yes you’ve flattened the curve. here in California that # is less than 1% of the population so it is unable to actually assess how many people have it. Unfortunately, good sanitation in a gym will not stop the spread unless every gymnast wears a n95 masks and wash hands after they touch anything.
until antibody test are here and every gymnast can be tested weekly, scientifically, gyms cannot be deemed safe.

Also in NY and I think we are more than a month out from any gymnastics facilities opening. But we have already heard that the plan is for smaller groups to allow for distancing. I think it's going to be very hard financially because the business model depends on having large classes and, for our gym, a very large Xcel team. In recent years it was already a difficult jigsaw puzzle to make sure all the team groups had the time they needed on equipment. With smaller groups and more need for cleaning, that gets even harder.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back