Offshoot from the gym opening suggestions thread

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I doubt concerts and sports will be done for years. Too much money in them. The almighty dollar speaks very loudly, and when everyone is fed up with unconstitutional mandates; and loss of income, homes, cars, and civil liberties; you can bet they will resume, either with litigation or with common sense.

Once mandates are lifted, attendance to theaters concerts and sporting events will shoot right back up to 100% of what it was?

Consider movie theaters, which have basically no assets and operate on thin profit margins (and I suspect the same is true of many sports and concert venues). Do you think that, the day mandates are lifted, everybody will suddenly decide they feel comfortable and safe to go out to the movies, and theaters will immediately have the same level of attendance they normally do? Do you think everybody will see a trip to the movies as a justifiable expense when a lot of them have been jobless for months? Do you think the people that do go will be as enthusiastic about buying drinks and popcorn?
Suppose attendance the first month or so after quarantine is at 50% what they normally would get, and gradually increases from there (and for this thought experiment, we're boldly assuming there won't be a second wave that requires further stay-at-home mandates). Do you think theaters will be able to operate at that decreased capacity for months at a time without going under?

Same question for concert/sports venues. Sporting events that broadcast games might be able to make it by, but smaller venues will likely close up shop. And same question for gyms.

By the way, if we DO bounce back to full attendance of everything immediately, you can likely expect a second covid wave, much like occurred with the 1918 flu pandemic. Which either means more people dying, or a return to isolation measures, or (most likely) both.

Our favorite movie theatre chain sent a survey today. They say that with diminished capacity, they only have the options of requiring a person to buy multiple seats or requiring food/beverage purchases in order to make ends meet. I don’t think movies are looking too good right now, sadly. It’s my favorite pastime, actually, but I won’t be hurrying back anytime soon.

Our favorite movie theatre chain sent a survey today. They say that with diminished capacity, they only have the options of requiring a person to buy multiple seats or requiring food/beverage purchases in order to make ends meet. I don’t think movies are looking too good right now, sadly. It’s my favorite pastime, actually, but I won’t be hurrying back anytime soon.

Yeah. Our local drive in is open, but at 50%. They can do a bit more..

but...there are no movies being made right now either....that will add to this issue for the theaters....

Once mandates are lifted, attendance to theaters concerts and sporting events will shoot right back up to 100% of what it was?

Consider movie theaters, which have basically no assets and operate on thin profit margins (and I suspect the same is true of many sports and concert venues). Do you think that, the day mandates are lifted, everybody will suddenly decide they feel comfortable and safe to go out to the movies, and theaters will immediately have the same level of attendance they normally do? Do you think everybody will see a trip to the movies as a justifiable expense when a lot of them have been jobless for months? Do you think the people that do go will be as enthusiastic about buying drinks and popcorn?
Suppose attendance the first month or so after quarantine is at 50% what they normally would get, and gradually increases from there (and for this thought experiment, we're boldly assuming there won't be a second wave that requires further stay-at-home mandates). Do you think theaters will be able to operate at that decreased capacity for months at a time without going under?

Same question for concert/sports venues. Sporting events that broadcast games might be able to make it by, but smaller venues will likely close up shop. And same question for gyms.

By the way, if we DO bounce back to full attendance of everything immediately, you can likely expect a second covid wave, much like occurred with the 1918 flu pandemic. Which either means more people dying, or a return to isolation measures, or (most likely) both.
A second wave requiring another quarantine? Nope. The people won’t stand for it. This virus will be a yearly thing from here on out, and it will mutate and make its rounds just like the flu and every other virus out there. We have to adjust and move on with our lives.

I have been in and out of stores for almost 2 months now, just like normal. If they hadn’t taken away my jobs, I would have continued working them. I have not worn a mask even once, neither have my family members except the ones who work in the containment and restoration industry and were already wearing them at work before this. I go in the store, do my business, and then leave, practicing appropriate hygiene and cleansing. All these things they tell us to do? We’ve always done them, like washing our hands immediately after shopping, using hand sanitizer, not sharing drinks or utensions, no kissing the kids on the lips, staying home if we’re sick, taking vitamin C and D, etc.

Common sense approach goes further than panic-driven solutions like slamming the doors of businesses shut and forcing people into unemployment and house arrest and tanking the country’s economy. People live with the flu all around them, even while it continues to kill 20,000-60,000 people every year (facts, not my opinion), and they continue to drive cars even though cars kill about 30,000 people per year and injure over 3 million people per year. Just being alive is a risk. Another shutdown will not be tolerated, and it boggles my mind that this one has gone on so long without violent protests (but I see them happening in the near future if things don’t change soon).

A second wave requiring another quarantine? Nope. The people won’t stand for it.

.... what, are you going to demand to speak to covid's manager and tell them that? It's a virus. It doesn't care what you will or won't stand for.

This virus will be a yearly thing from here on out, and it will mutate and make its rounds just like the flu and every other virus out there. We have to adjust and move on with our lives.

It's mortality rate in the US is, by current official numbers, just shy of 6% (though according to this article on the Economist, the number dead from covid may be significantly higher than the official numbers). For comparison, the flu has a 0.2% mortality rate.

I have been in and out of stores for almost 2 months now, just like normal. If they hadn’t taken away my jobs, I would have continued working them. I have not worn a mask even once, neither have my family members except the ones who work in the containment and restoration industry and were already wearing them at work before this.

Please reconsider this. At the very least, wear a mask. A recent model suggested that at least 80% of people need to be wearing masks in public, and that will be enough to get the transmission rate lower than 1. And all you need to do to be part of the solution (not the problem) is wear a mask when you're out in public. If you like, I can get you in touch with one of my friends who is making cloth masks.

The purpose of wearing a mask isn't to stop you from getting sick; it's to stop you from getting other people sick. And since covid has many asymptomatic carriers, and since even those with symptoms become contagious before they display any symptoms, this is an important step for all of us, whether we feel sick or not.

I go in the store, do my business, and then leave, practicing appropriate hygiene and cleansing. All these things they tell us to do? We’ve always done them, like washing our hands immediately after shopping, using hand sanitizer, not sharing drinks or utensions, no kissing the kids on the lips, staying home if we’re sick, taking vitamin C and D, etc.

Again, I urge you to reconsider your flippancy. To you, 6% mortality may just seem like an abstract number, but would you be cool with 6% of your family dying?

Forgive me if I seem a bit prickly about this, but my wife is immune compromised; if she catches it, her odds aren't great. And while I'm at it, her father has chronic respiratory issues, and my own parents are 72 and 64. And if everybody wore masks and tried to eliminate non-essential outings, all of them would be much safer; as is, every time I have to pick up groceries there's a chance I could get my wife killed just by breathing in the wrong place.
Because somebody who feels fine might be a carrier, and might have shown up to shop without a mask because they didn't realize they had it.

Common sense approach goes further than panic-driven solutions like slamming the doors of businesses shut and forcing people into unemployment and house arrest and tanking the country’s economy.

How many lives does your common sense say we should sacrifice for the economy? Or flipped another way, how much money should we be willing to sacrifice to keep people safe? For perspective, our current military budget is $700 billion; current projections suggest that the death rate could hit 3000 (roughly the number that died on 9/11/01) daily.

People live with the flu all around them, even while it continues to kill 20,000-60,000 people every year (facts, not my opinion),

Covid has killed that many in two months.

and they continue to drive cars even though cars kill about 30,000 people per year

Covid has killed more than that in April alone. Furthermore, we have very strict regulations on how people are permitted to use cars, and failure to abide by them can result in a revocation of driving rights even if nobody is injured. You are required by law to remain within certain speeds on public roads. You are required by law to wear a seatbelt on public roads. You are required by law to be uninhibited by alcohol or other substances while driving on public roads. You are required by law to drive in the correct lane. You are required by law to stop when told by an automated system (traffic lights) to stop. Etc, etc, etc.
We accept all of these laws because we recognize that they keep us and the people around us safer.
By comparison, having to wear a mask and maintain 6 feet of distance from other shoppers seems pretty minor.

As I have said many times before: the goal should be for it to feel like we overreacted. And honestly, we won't really even know how bad the problem really is, or how much of a risk there is with reopening, until testing catches up to actual infection numbers -- and right now it's not even close.

Just being alive is a risk. Another shutdown will not be tolerated, and it boggles my mind that this one has gone on so long without violent protests (but I see them happening in the near future if things don’t change soon).
Sadly, the violence already begun.

At any rate, you didn't really address the rest of my post. Do you think attendance at crowded events will spike right back up to 100% where it was before?

Last edited:
I have not worn a mask even once,

How do you get away with that?! I didn't wear a mask one day walking my dog and some guy in the neighborhood was like shaming me and telling me that I can get fined a $1000. That was literally the day after the new guideline and I hadn't even heard about it yet!

All over the neighborhood people are taking photos of others gathering and posting on social media to shame them. One neighbor said she called the police on some family members gathering and sharing chips and dip at the park, she even stuck around to take a photo to post on social media.

How do you get away with that?! I didn't wear a mask one day walking my dog and some guy in the neighborhood was like shaming me and telling me that I can get fined a $1000. That was literally the day after the new guideline and I hadn't even heard about it yet!

All over the neighborhood people are taking photos of others gathering and posting on social media to shame them. One neighbor said she called the police on some family members gathering and sharing chips and dip at the park, she even stuck around to take a photo to post on social media.
Wow, really? Most people don’t wear masks around here. When you go to the stores maybe 1 in 10 to 1 in 12 people are wearing masks. The people serving and working in the stores are not wearing them either. The only people I have seen consistently wearing them are doctors.

Where I live it is double required to wear a mask under certain conditions- not when you’re easily away from others outdoors, but any other time you’re in public. It’s required by the state but also by our base. No one is walking into any building on this base besides their own home ever without a mask- there are military police at building entrances enforcing it.

A second wave requiring another quarantine? Nope. The people won’t stand for it. This virus will be a yearly thing from here on out, and it will mutate and make its rounds just like the flu and every other virus out there. We have to adjust and move on with our lives.

I have been in and out of stores for almost 2 months now, just like normal. If they hadn’t taken away my jobs, I would have continued working them. I have not worn a mask even once, neither have my family members except the ones who work in the containment and restoration industry and were already wearing them at work before this. I go in the store, do my business, and then leave, practicing appropriate hygiene and cleansing. All these things they tell us to do? We’ve always done them, like washing our hands immediately after shopping, using hand sanitizer, not sharing drinks or utensions, no kissing the kids on the lips, staying home if we’re sick, taking vitamin C and D, etc.

Common sense approach goes further than panic-driven solutions like slamming the doors of businesses shut and forcing people into unemployment and house arrest and tanking the country’s economy. People live with the flu all around them, even while it continues to kill 20,000-60,000 people every year (facts, not my opinion), and they continue to drive cars even though cars kill about 30,000 people per year and injure over 3 million people per year. Just being alive is a risk. Another shutdown will not be tolerated, and it boggles my mind that this one has gone on so long without violent protests (but I see them happening in the near future if things don’t change soon).

This post is a perfect example of the phenomenon described here:

Wow, you cannot enter a grocery store on Long Island without a mask. People wear them out walking dogs, etc. It is required when you are in any store or when you cannot safely social distance.

I think it's important to note, if we are going to run with the 1918 pandemic comparison, that the virus that came with the 2nd wave had mutated due to wartime troop movement.

I don't wear one either, don't even own one. I'd say about 25% of people around me wear one (this includes shoppers and employees)

Well that doesn’t make me feel good about our upcoming move up there. MN is one of the few states with a current RO over 1. I would think that people would be trying to combat that.
It's very hit or miss. I go to target or the grocery store a few times each week and there are definitely more non-mask wearers than mask wearers. It's not even 100% of the employees.

@FlippinLilysMom thats helpful info if not hopeful. We are trying to get approved to push our move back to August.
Our death count is rising but over 80% of the deaths have occurred at assisted living and nursing homes, with the average age being 88. The # of positive tests has also increased but that was expected with the increased testing.

Wow, really? Most people don’t wear masks around here. When you go to the stores maybe 1 in 10 to 1 in 12 people are wearing masks. The people serving and working in the stores are not wearing them either. The only people I have seen consistently wearing them are doctors.

You are supposed to wear it in public. My husband's work requires them to wear it at the office, the moment you get out of the car. Granted, not everyone complies but most do.

Specific requirements -- and whether it's a suggestion or a mandate -- to wear a mask in public vary from place to place. Also, individual businesses (should) have a constitutionally-protected right not to let you in without a mask, regardless of any local ordinances.

But at this point, I think whether it's required or not, it's the socially-responsible thing to do. I mean, if you can decrease the spread and possibly save lives, and all it costs is the minor inconvenience of a mask (side note, I think some masks look kinda awesome), then why wouldn't you?

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back