Parents Oh Boy - Just when things were looking up.. Something has to come down!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The old saying is what comes up must come down? Beetle's skills were up up and away the last couple weeks, she got that great flight. Connected Gainer BHS BHS with no mats on low beam. She has been doing her Toe Shoots even put her double backs on Bars again!

Soo.. what comes down? Today - it was Beetle's ankle.. at school she stepped wrong on the last stair and rolled her ankle.

After 4 hours in the pediatrician and orthopedist office, a splint and crutches later.. She has a fractured ankle and a broken spirit.

She has what they call a Salter Harris Fracture (She pulled her growth plate a part more than it should be)

The good news, there is no ligament or tendon damage. She is expected to have a full recovery. She will be casted (on Friday assuming the swelling is down.. it was the size of a grapefruit earlier) for 3 weeks then in a boot for another couple weeks.

Of course she didnt cry over the pain, but sobbed over missing practice. She is supposed to go the Region IV Training camp in 2 weeks. She can't believe she will miss it. But I told her to look on the bright side. she is 4 months away from her first meet. She will have 2 1/2 months to get her skills up to par for the first meet. I guess it is a good thing that she was planning on competing L8 again, right?

Ouch!!! This sort of thing happens all the time. I'm just glad that she injury is recoverable. Wish her luck and a rapid return.

I'm sorry your DD got hurt! It seems that more gymnasts get hurt outside of gym than during practice/meets!! It's a good thing she has a lot of time to heal and train. Hoping for a speedy recovery!

Oh the poor thing, that totally bites. As you say great that she was planning on repeating, but playing catch up is hard on the soul.

It always amazes me that they can do such seemingly dangerous stuff in the gym and be fine, but walking anywhere outside of gym can be lethal.

Tell her we are sending our fast healing karma.

Oh no. That's terrible news. Nothing hurts as much as a broken spirit:(

I'm relieved to hear that not only will she make a full recovery, but she'll be back to full training with plenty of time, so as not to miss a meet.

We went through it last year with Bean (twice! so that silly boot paid for itself!) I know she's discouraged, but our silver lining was that once the swelling came down, she was able to really work her bars, which was exactly what she needed.

Let her know we'll be praying for a speedy recovery.

Oh, no! Poor Beetle! At least the timing isn't too bad. As canadiangymmon said, there will be positives. I hope that she'll eventually see those herself! Sending prayers for quick, complete healing . . .

Oh no, I can only imagine how heartbroken she must be. I am glad it will fully heal. Sending both of you hugs and her lots of healing vibes.

What terrible news, I feel very bad for Beetle. Funny how these things usually happen outside the gym. The good thing is that she didn't fracture it on a skill in the gym, so there should be no mental blocks when she comes back. Another good thing, she should be able to work double time on bars soon. Also, like you said her first meet is a few months away, so she will have time to get back to herself before that first meet.

Bummer about not being able to go to the camp, but she'll recover!!! Maybe go out to dinner or something else special that weekend instead. ;)

((((HUGS)))) for Beatle. The broken heart is the worst, I had to watch my DD cry as she did turns on floor beam with her arm in a cast because it was all she was allowed. My heart breaks for her.

She should be able to work most of her bars skills and condition.

Healing heart and spirit fairy en-route.

Oh, gosh darn it!! :mad: So sorry this happened to Beetle! It was great to read that she was really humming along there for a bit. Well, I guess she gets a forced vacation from most of her gym training for a bit. I wish her speedy healing, and sanity for you while you support her thru it! :eek:

Oh no! So sorry to hear this :( I know how dissapointed she must be to miss the training camp! Thank goodness that her meet season is still far off. My step daughter broke her collar bone (for the second time) at the school playground last December and had to be out for about 6 weeks. She ended up missing the first few meets. There had been talk about moving her and my daughter up to level 5 for last season but the coaches decided to keep them at 4 another year. Thank goodness for that because she wouldn't have been able to compete level 5 because of missing out on so much practice - sort of like the whole level 8 repeat for you all.

Big hugs to you all!

Oh poor kid! Hope her ankle heals quickly and she's back in top form by competition season.

That really stinks. So sorry to hear about her ankle. Doesn't that just figure she did it outside of the gym? I'm sure she'll be in the gym doing conditioning and that will keep her spirits up a bit. Tell her her Chalk Bucket 'moms' are thinking about her!:rolleyes:

I agree that it just plain stinks!! So, sorry for Beetle---and you. I'm sure part of the broken spirit is due to her thinking about what a silly way to get hurt. My gymmie has been tripping up the steps at school this year!

As others have said she should be able to do some basic bar work with a coach working with her and conditioning. Tell her those 3 weeks in the cast will fly by and we're all pulling for a well healed Beetle come meet seaon.

I am so sorry to hear about Beetle's ankle! It really rots that she will have to miss the camp. I hope she heals up quickly and uses the time to work on her bars! Thank goodness she will have plenty of time to get back in shape before competition starts.

Meg

Ohhhh poor Beetle! Poor thing, isn't it crazy when they hurt themselves out of the gym? All of my DD's injuries have never been as a result of her doing actually gymnastics. It is so hard to be going full steam ahead and doing so well only to come to a complete halt! Based on my DD's heel fracture last Dec I can tell you this...be prepared for the first week no practice struggle. It will be really emotional and you both will be going bonkers and maybe shedding a few tears. Thank goodness is wasn't more seriouse & hope she has a speedy recovery. Before you know it she will be back at the gym flipping off the bars again! ((HUGS))

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back