Parents Oh boy!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

You could look at it from the opposite end of the spectrum as well, where if they fast track a kid too fast and their "mental/emotional maturity" is not able to handle the rigours of the advanced training they may eventually develop fear or mental block issues and end up quitting as well. It really depends on the child.

As my co-worker would say: "true dat!!" :yes:

Yup... Could happen. But again... lets not protect more then we encourage. Like you say, all kids are different and unique. So the best thing we can do is NOT compare, and let them try.

'Just because Timmy is a klutz and tripped over the step SHOULDN'T mean - remove the step.'

Regardless of what you call it (level 5, "fast track", etc), the bottom line is that my DD is doing gymnastics at a level that she is comfortable with and having tons of fun. Her coaches know what they're doing and are keeping her motivated and challenged. And that's good enough for me. Now if I can just get through the meets...

Now that's what I like to see! A mom who has found the right gym & has faith in DD's coaches!!! I know you searched a long time Shawn. When the "fit" is right you just know, don't you??? Glad things are going well for Boo.

Now that's what I like to see! A mom who has found the right gym & has faith in DD's coaches!!! I know you searched a long time Shawn. When the "fit" is right you just know, don't you??? Glad things are going well for Boo.

Thanks, gymjourneymom. I did agonize over this decision for a long time, didn't I? I guess you know you're at a good gym when you're comfortable leaving your child alone there, right? I used to stay with her at every practice. Now I only stay about once a week and I'm okay with that. Quite a change...

Good luck to her at her first level 5 meet !!! How exciting - I'm sure she will do absolutely wonderful :).

Thanks, gymjourneymom. I did agonize over this decision for a long time, didn't I? I guess you know you're at a good gym when you're comfortable leaving your child alone there, right? I used to stay with her at every practice. Now I only stay about once a week and I'm okay with that. Quite a change...
I think that's a very good sign!;)

I am so happy for Boo!!!! It sounds like she is in the perfect spot for her right now!! It is also nice to hear homeschooling is going so well. I can't wait to see how she does. I will be sending good vibes her way!:)

I am so happy for her! She must be so excited:) I hope she has a great meet and you stay calm;)

Congratulations little Boo!! Your daughter sounds like an amazing little gymnast. I bet you are so proud, as you should be. I'm sending good luck wished her way for the meet!

Shawn, can I ask you why you decided to homeschool? If it's not too personal.
It's just something that has crossed my mind for Pixie...

WOOHOO! Congrats to your DD, sounds like she's ready! She's so talented! My DD is also looking forward to L5, 2 years of L4 are just *boring* so you didn't miss too much, LOL

Good Luck!

Wellll...at least you don't have to wait and anticipate very long for her to compete L5!!!:D
She will do great, and yes, please post video!

Sounds like the plan we have in the future. We are doing some monthly privates since DD is too young to compete she is up training in her privates and the hopes are she does 5 for next year or 1/2 a year and can score out of 6 and go straight to 7. ( I think I have it right from what her coach and the HC has planned for her). Today DD did her standing back tuck on the floor just messing around without ever being officially taught in practice. earlier this week she was working front layouts in the pit. (I swear she is really making me nervous).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back