Old enough, too young?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hmm, I am going to disagree on this one. I would not send my 5 yr old to spend the night out with a mixed group of boys/girls in that wide an age range. Especially, if I did not know all of the kids family situations/personally. Five year olds, in my opinion, do not have the maturity, cognitive ability to "know" if they are in a situation that is not good for them. Yes, there will be chaperones/coaches there, but, as with all large groups it is hard to know what is going on all the time. There was a situation at a gym in our area where they had a halloween lock-in last year. Some inappropriate things happened between the teenagers and some of the "young rec coaches" resulting in several coaches losing their jobs. I am sure this situation is rare, but with a child this young I do not think it is prudent to chance it. There are plenty of sleepovers/lock-ins to attend as they get older no need to push it.

Thank you for trying to clarify your statement to me. I believe things may have gotten lost or twisted in translation between the several posts. It's often hard to understand somebody over the internet when you cannot hear tone or inflections.

Isn't that the truth!?!? :)

I would be horrified if my DD and her friends excluded someone just because of their age. They would NEVER do that, and if they did, DD would have some consequences to deal with for sure!

I had just thought, based on the original poster's comment, that you didn't want them to talk about normal teenagey kinds of things. I have to say, my obsessed DD has gotten ALL the girls at her gym to become similarly obsessed with that Justin Bieber kid. It's actually kind of funny and I figure as long as they're dreaming of HIM, they're not chasing the real ones at school, right?

Anyway, I hope your DD has a great time at the lock in!

Hmm, I am going to disagree on this one. I would not send my 5 yr old to spend the night out with a mixed group of boys/girls in that wide an age range. .

Unless I missed something, I have not seen anything about boys being on the team or allowed at the sleepover.

I would be skeptical of teen boys and girls spending the night in the gym together. It may be ok, but there also might be some temptation late at night.

Unless I missed something, I have not seen anything about boys being on the team or allowed at the sleepover.

I would be skeptical of teen boys and girls spending the night in the gym together. It may be ok, but there also might be some temptation late at night.

From op it looks like it is a big party that the gym throws 3-4 times a year. If this gym is like many gyms in our area the "lock-in" is open to both boys and girls. I did not get the impression from her post that it was a strictly team Halloween party, but maybe I missed something.
Maybe the OP can clarify?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you everyone for you input. It's truely interesting to see everyones points of view. I am currently mulling it all over in my mind..what little is left of it..lol.

Well to be honesy it is open to all boys and girls, rec and team. Only true requierment is that they are of school age.

That being said, sadly (not in this instance) there are NO boys above school age, rec or team. There are about 10 little boys total, all rec, and under school age. So that's not an issue in this case.

On the no boy note, my son loves gymnastics, and he gets an 1 hr session a week included in his preschool they have there. I wish they did have more boys, they have the equipment for the boys, the owner (well the husband of the owner) would be the male coach, but he has no one to teach. So he is currently the cheer and tumble coach. It's really kinda sad, because I would love to see the boys doing their thing too. Once my son is a little older, and in kindergarten i will talk to Coach Stevie and see if he wants to take my little man on..lol. Maybe once others see Buddy doing his thing in the gym more boys will join in to where they are actually using the boys equipment.

But on my original post, Im still going back and forth on it. She has had two sleepovers here in the last 4 months. One was with her sister. (19 yrs old from hubby's first marriage). And the other was with her best friend whos grandma literly lives right across the road from us. So both cases she could have easily come home. And in the case of her sister could have probably been easily soothed there. Both cases she had no problems..didnt mention wanting to go home. But in both places by 10 she was ready to go to bed, and in both cases she could with out being disturbed.

I am gonig to ask the HC on wednesday when i pick her up when the cut off time would be for those who want to come for a bit, but not for the night. And if she stays after that time if there will be an area set aside for those who do want to sleep can go, without all the noise, and so the other girls dont have to worry about being quiet. I dont want her to be a burden in anyway on anyone. And I dont want her stressed either. If there is no picking her up after i drop her off at 8 pm, which i really dont see them doing. I think if she wants to stay, and she has a melt down at 3am and wants to come home, they will not hesitate to call me. The kids being safe and happy is there number 1 priority. Anyway, back on track, if for whatever reason they say she cant be picked up once dropped off, then its a no go. Doesnt matter if they have an "quiet" area, or a later pick up time of say midnight.

Now that I've rambled on I've probably confused people even more...lol

Yeah there are no boys at our gym either. No way would DH let her stay if there were.:)

Monique

B 5 year old level 1 K 3 year old rec

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back