Olympic hopeful training?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Just my thoughts, but I think it should only be Hopes/elites and level 10’s until the end of June or maybe July. I feel so bad for the girls going into senior year that needed these last two years for college.

and boys. I have a 17 yo L10 junior......this has been tough. I mean, it is hard on everyone for sure!

Just my thoughts, but I think it should only be Hopes/elites and level 10’s until the end of June or maybe July. I feel so bad for the girls going into senior year that needed these last two years for college.
I think my level 9 would disagree. Why should she be out of the gym and a 10 year old kid training for HOPES who just finished level 8 be allowed in the gym? I'm just saying that this is where people will have differing opinions about all of this.
I also believe that Simone is in the gym training.

THis is true. Although I do expect that we will not be jumping right into our normal hours. Right now, I am continuing to pay tuition at a full rate. I anticipate practices being shorter, and maybe not every day, at least through the first couple of phases. SO I can see that my price per hour will actually be higher than during the usual times.
Us too. We paid full tuition because we want our gym to be open after all of this is over. I was surprised by the people complaining about paying tuition (optional parents) because I thought it was well known that rec brings in most of the money. I doubt rec people are paying. I worry we won't have a gym when this is over.

I didn’t s
I think my level 9 would disagree. Why should she be out of the gym and a 10 year old kid training for HOPES who just finished level 8 be allowed in the gym? I'm just saying that this is where people will have differing opinions about all of this.
I also believe that Simone is in the gym training.
I didn’t say anything about training hopes, and the only reason why I said hopes is because they still have championships that hasn’t been cancelled yet in November. Otherwise I would had said Elites and level 10s.

I am pretty sure they will bring our optionals back in several small groups of 5-6 to start. THat will happen for quite a while. I don't think they will go back to full hours either. I think it will be limited.

Good for her! Her parents own the gym, it's no different than if she were working out in her garage. I can guarantee if I owned a gym my daughter would be in there every day!

... but who is coaching her? If she's working out without a coach, or her parents are coaching her (but I don't think they are coaches), then I agree that it's the same as working out in her own garage, provided that the applicable stay-home order permits traveling to the gym.

I just want to say that I can't believe how well everyone is showing respect here. We all have opinions and our own ideas of how we would handle this situation. I love reading all the replies and opinions. I might not agree with them all, but this is a pat on the back to all of you for remaining respectful. My head is spinning at this time with my kids out of school for the remainder of the school year, my daughter that is training elite and at a tender age that can easily make or break those chances. Its important to realize that everyone will do what is best for their children and families in these crazy scary times. I for one will do what i think is best and not judge those who have a different opinion. I can say what I dislike most about this is the folks that pretend to not be socializing and in the gym and really are doing the exact opposite and i in fact know several of these people. If your child is training and has been don't post and say oh she misses gym so much..yuck. Anyway, i just want to thank everyone here for allowing for a great site to come and actually have REAL conversations without being disrespectful.

Anyway, i just want to thank everyone here for allowing for a great site to come and actually have REAL conversations without being disrespectful.

Yes... thank you to all.

This is exactly how it needs to be with the "groups" section shutting down. I will be posting more in the next few days about the future plans for the site... please... keep these great conversations going.

... but who is coaching her? If she's working out without a coach, or her parents are coaching her (but I don't think they are coaches), then I agree that it's the same as working out in her own garage, provided that the applicable stay-home order permits traveling to the gym.
Maybe no one is coaching her. No idea. Its simone, does she even need a coach at this point?!?

I would love to know who is still training. I can say with some certainty that no one is training in Minnesota, that includes the HOPES and elite girls.

Wisconsin is shut down as far as I know. We have access to a gym and coach 2 of our three kids personally and we are not going in right now.

I am pretty sure they will bring our optionals back in several small groups of 5-6 to start. THat will happen for quite a while. I don't think they will go back to full hours either. I think it will be limited.
That has been the tentative plan discussed for us as well, and I wonder if it will go into the fall.

Reopening the gym is going to be a much bigger problem for gyms than shutting the gym was. Shutting the gyms were hard with the loss of income and having to stand down coaches, but to have to reopen in bits a pieces means making very tough decisions.

It’s not just a questions for gyms, which kids to bring back first and which to leave behind (which may have a huge financial impact in the future). But also which staff to rehire first, which to rehire last and which not to rehire at all.

Many gyms were working on the idea that once their country reopens the kids will be back and they can continue as before. But many families will stay out until a vaccination is found, and a vaccination may not be found. In the months after reopening the financial figures will start to become more clear and that is when gyms may need to start shutting down.

There is a big difference between opening and returning to gyms and many other facilities like restaurants etc. That is the fact that gyms are mainly frequented by children.

Sure there is the issue that children don’t exist in a vacuum and interact with others who they can spread COVID to. But the research is that not only does the virus not tend to affect children as severely but it also does not spread at the same rapid rate. Many countries have kept their schools open throughout the pandemic and we have not seen mass outbreaks in schools anywhere in the world.

It's kind of funny (and I say that in the most sincere way possible, keeping us all honest here b/c it IS funny) the way some of us seem to think the kids who should get to start training first just happen to be the level/age of our/their own kids.... What exactly is the determining factor? Playing devil's advocate here, why not the kids who are most committed to keeping up their conditioning at home? Or the gymnasts who *need* to get back b/c breaks are harder for them? Or hey, why not the compulsory gymnasts b/c they don't require as many hours and their season starts sooner?

I guess I don’t understand why there has to be a choice?? Our gym has released plans to get back to training, and they are dividing all levels into groups of 10 or less, lowering hours, sanitizing in between, going in and out certain doors, no spotting, etc... Nowhere was it mentioned that only certain levels could train? I think gyms can make it work if they are creative.

I guess I don’t understand why there has to be a choice?? Our gym has released plans to get back to training, and they are dividing all levels into groups of 10 or less, lowering hours, sanitizing in between, going in and out certain doors, no spotting, etc... Nowhere was it mentioned that only certain levels could train? I think gyms can make it work if they are creative.

I agree. And I guarantee that owners and coaches are working out every safety precaution they can to get kids back training safely.

Agree with wanting to get everyone back, but I will admit that I struggle with rec. On the one hand, rec brings in a lot of revenue and seems important to the business model. On the other hand, it's A LOT of bodies coming through and will seemingly make it a lot more difficult to limit exposure. I'm not sure how that balance is going to be struck.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back