Olympic hopeful training?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kimute

Proud Parent
Are Olympic hopefuls and/or elite gymnasts training at gyms or just making due with home conditioning like our mere mortal optionals?

In our country making do. Australia has required all indoor sports venue’s to close (as of two weeks ago). It is now illegal for them to train in a gym. They were offering some outdoor boot camps, but as of a week ago those are now illegal too. The government has announced fed they expect these restrictions to last at least 6 months, so these Olympic hopefuls may not be able to set foot in a gym or see their coaches face to face for 6 months.

Simone Bile’s recent interview made it sound that she’s only conditioning at home.
Yes. My kid might have this wrong, but she said she was training in the gym right up until she found out the Olympics weren’t happening. She also heard about a few other elites training via the power of Instagram. I doubt they are still training now, but who knows.

Reactions: SMH
Yes. My kid might have this wrong, but she said she was training in the gym right up until she found out the Olympics weren’t happening. She also heard about a few other elites training via the power of Instagram. I doubt they are still training now, but who knows.

Yes, I was confused too. At her very first post she said she was at the gym training when she heard the news. But at a later interview she was saying how she is only doing conditioning these days.

Yes, I was confused too. At her very first post she said she was at the gym training when she heard the news. But at a later interview she was saying how she is only doing conditioning these days.
I think now that is what she is doing. Before it sounds like she was still training in the gym because olympics weren’t postponed yet

Harris County didn't have stay at home/shelter in place orders until midnight March 24th, so they were likely working out in small groups up until then, which was also the day the postponement was announced.

Reactions: sce
The last I hear MyKayla Skinner was still training at her home gym, however it did seem that she was the only one training at the gym altogether at this time. I'm not sure if she still is or if its allowed for her area.

The last I hear MyKayla Skinner was still training at her home gym, however it did seem that she was the only one training at the gym altogether at this time. I'm not sure if she still is or if its allowed for her area.

Arizona is under a "Stay at Home Order" - it is what it is...

In England from what I can tell from social media, they are all out of the gym now and just conditioning at home. I hope it doesn't last 6 months though :(

I find it infuriating that some of the 9 and 10 year olds training "HOPES" are continuing to very discreetly go into their gyms to continue training in small groups in areas with shelter in place orders to get a leg up and not lose skills. Until the Olympics were postponed, I can't get too fired up about elites going in individually or in very small groups to train. I can understand the need for that.

I find it infuriating that some of the 9 and 10 year olds training "HOPES" are continuing to very discreetly go into their gyms to continue training in small groups in areas with shelter in place orders to get a leg up and not lose skills. Until the Olympics were postponed, I can't get too fired up about elites going in individually or in very small groups to train. I can understand the need for that.
Yeah that’s really messed up, USAG sent an email saying that the Hopes championship got rescheduled till late August or Sep. my my daughter last day in the gym was March 6th. Things like this isn’t right That girls are still practicing, we have a meeting with the coaches tomorrow and I’m going to bring this up.

Last edited by a moderator:
... some of the 9 and 10 year olds training "HOPES" are continuing to very discreetly go into their gyms to continue training in small groups in areas with shelter in place orders to get a leg up and not lose skills.

....USAG sent an email saying that the Hopes championship got rescheduled till late August or Sep.

“A person's true nature is revealed at times of the greatest adversity.”
- (Daisaku Ikeda)

I humbly suggest that this applies to not only individuals, but also to organizations.

“What did you do during the COVID-19 pandemic?” is a fair question - for the rest of our lives.

Yeah that irritates the hell out of my kid too. Even though she gets this is wrong, she feels it isn’t fair. I have tried to explain to her that life isn’t fair. She gets that. But she is still way pissed off about it. Especially when some girls just happen to post stuff on their Instagrams. I would think they would be wiser and not do this, because if my kid (who gets hardly any screen time per day) is noticing it, you can bet others are too. But it is not her gym, and it is not our business. It’s like how some small business that aren’t essential are staying open in our neck of the woods. It’s their call. It is their business. But it’s very frustrating for those who are adhering to the rules and guidelines that they have been given.

“A person's true nature is revealed at times of the greatest adversity.”
- (Daisaku Ikeda)

I humbly suggest that this applies to not only individuals, but also to organizations.

“What did you do during the COVID-19 pandemic?” is a fair question - for the rest of our lives.
Exactly. And that’s exactly what I have told my child. She is living in a historic time with this, and we are trying to make the best of it and focus on the positives.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back