Olympic hopeful training?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Around us, many of the schools have a morning zoom or Microsoft teams meeting for 30 to 90 min and the rest of the day is at their own pace and schedule. For us with a 2nd and 4th grader ( with 3 year old little brother) we do school from 8-10:30 and 12:30 until 2 or 3. Some of the high schools are the same way.
We sent out a survey. Only one of our gymnast had a set time that she had to be online. All of the others just had to get on at some point during the day. That makes it much easier to schedule workouts.

My gymnast has to be online for school the same hours as she was physically in school before the shut down. I'm not sure if all schools in my area are working this way, and I'm worried that her gym might schedule her practices during times she's in school, which would be very disappointing for her.

As for the talk of who practice is more important for, or the comments that it's just a sport, I just wanted to add that the reason that I can't wait to see my daughter back at gym (of course only when my area is allowing this, and only when I feel that it's safe for our family and the community) is that it's her favorite place in the entire world, and all of her friends are there and she misses it so much. I know that all or most of the gymnasts do. In other words I'm not as concerned with her progress, level, etc as I am with her just being able to get in there and do her thing with her best friends. So I don't necessarily think level should dictate who goes back first, and I also don't think that those who are anxious to get their kid back to gym are thinking only of the skills they are losing, progress not made, etc.

I am so surprised at the schools that require the kids to be online that much. We send out assignments, and then schedule live events. It is just too much to expect the kids to sit there on a computer that much. Even my junior in high school just does his work. As a teacher, I cannot imagine engaging that much online all day. That is exhausting!

I am so surprised at the schools that require the kids to be online that much. We send out assignments, and then schedule live events. It is just too much to expect the kids to sit there on a computer that much. Even my junior in high school just does his work. As a teacher, I cannot imagine engaging that much online all day. That is exhausting!

I am also a teacher (college) and agree that online teaching is exhausting and happy that my classes don't run all day long. I don't think most of my daughter's teachers are teaching ALL day either and if they are it's a different class (different group of kids) each hour. My DD is in 7th (so Jr. high). And they follow their classes just as they would a usual schedule. Often the online class doesn't last for the entire period and they are given an in-class assignment to do for the rest of the period -but either way they still need to be on the computer to log on to the next class in the next class period throughout the day. For me it's difficult to understand how this could be done any other way, as without the teacher presenting/explaining/teaching for part of the class period aren't the just doing independent assignments, almost like homework all day?

I am also a teacher (college) and agree that online teaching is exhausting and happy that my classes don't run all day long. I don't think most of my daughter's teachers are teaching ALL day either and if they are it's a different class (different group of kids) each hour. My DD is in 7th (so Jr. high). And they follow their classes just as they would a usual schedule. Often the online class doesn't last for the entire period and they are given an in-class assignment to do for the rest of the period -but either way they still need to be on the computer to log on to the next class in the next class period throughout the day. For me it's difficult to understand how this could be done any other way, as without the teacher presenting/explaining/teaching for part of the class period aren't the just doing independent assignments, almost like homework all day?

I have a junior in high school and a sophomore in college. The sophomore is a japanense/linguistics major and has to log into the japanese class 4 days a week. Other than that, teachers are recording lessons, uploading videos that teach, assigning readings, and giving work. They do about 1-3 hours a day of work.

THe reason being exactly what was explained before. We are not allowed to require the kids to be online at certain times because it creates inequities in access. Some families have 3 kids and 1 device. Who gets to be online? Some families have spotty internet or no internet. Some families are not in a place to access this. I have 2 families where the dad is a nurse and the mom is also still working full time and for them, trying to figure out when and where to do the school work is near impossible. Even in our family, where we all have a device and decent internet, there are times where we struggle. If my husband is on a video call, and I am on a video call, and the kids get on video calls, the service gets spotty.

So teachers record lectures and put them up for kids to watch when they can. They put out notes for kids to take notes on or for kids to read. They do assignments and turn them in. Teachers are available for support in live office hours as needed. So the kids are not on their own, they just have the flexibility to do their work when it works for them and their family.

I have a junior in high school and a sophomore in college. The sophomore is a japanense/linguistics major and has to log into the japanese class 4 days a week. Other than that, teachers are recording lessons, uploading videos that teach, assigning readings, and giving work. They do about 1-3 hours a day of work.

THe reason being exactly what was explained before. We are not allowed to require the kids to be online at certain times because it creates inequities in access. Some families have 3 kids and 1 device. Who gets to be online? Some families have spotty internet or no internet. Some families are not in a place to access this. I have 2 families where the dad is a nurse and the mom is also still working full time and for them, trying to figure out when and where to do the school work is near impossible. Even in our family, where we all have a device and decent internet, there are times where we struggle. If my husband is on a video call, and I am on a video call, and the kids get on video calls, the service gets spotty.

So teachers record lectures and put them up for kids to watch when they can. They put out notes for kids to take notes on or for kids to read. They do assignments and turn them in. Teachers are available for support in live office hours as needed. So the kids are not on their own, they just have the flexibility to do their work when it works for them and their family.

I see, that makes sense. My kids go to a private school, so the assumption is that everyone has internet access. Any kid who does not own their own device borrowed one from the school on the day before the closure. Thankfully our signal seems to be strong enough for all 5 of us to be on calls/using internet simultaneously. At the college that I teach at some of the students have issues with connectivity and I've had to find ways for them to continue without coming to class, which works but is of course not ideal. I think there's a good chance that DD's gym won't be open in any way until summer break, and then scheduling practice during the day won't be an issue for her.

Reactions: sce
I see, that makes sense. My kids go to a private school, so the assumption is that everyone has internet access. Any kid who does not own their own device borrowed one from the school on the day before the closure. Thankfully our signal seems to be strong enough for all 5 of us to be on calls/using internet simultaneously. At the college that I teach at some of the students have issues with connectivity and I've had to find ways for them to continue without coming to class, which works but is of course not ideal. I think there's a good chance that DD's gym won't be open in any way until summer break, and then scheduling practice during the day won't be an issue for her.

That definitely makes a difference. My college student has had a couple of times where she was unable to access the internet for a class. Just 2 I think. But it happens.

I teach in a school with a >50% free and reduced rate and almost 20% special education. And I teach students with more severe disabilities. So this has been a challenge in many, many ways.

Our public school district put issue of equity first when developing the online curriculum (in 3 days). It's not just internet access, but kids having to look after siblings, not having devices, coming from families that are struggling, etc. Nobody needs the added aggravation of being in a Zoom meeting all day long I seriously doubt those students are learning more anyway. My kids have made the most of having more time to read, write draw, and PLAY OUTSIDE. It's a luxury that we have a yard, but they are taking full advantage of their freedom.

Even at the elite private college where I work, they have discouraged synchronous learning because students are scattered around the world and might just have a phone to be working off us.

Even at the elite private college where I work, they have discouraged synchronous learning because students are scattered around the world and might just have a phone to be working off us.
At my daughter’s college it is all synchronized work at home- which means that some of her friends around the world are in class in the middle of the night. The school has offered to work with individual students as needed, but her friends have chosen to adjust their sleep/wake schedule. Live discussions in small classes are the hallmark of her school.

At my daughter’s college it is all synchronized work at home- which means that some of her friends around the world are in class in the middle of the night. The school has offered to work with individual students as needed, but her friends have chosen to adjust their sleep/wake schedule. Live discussions in small classes are the hallmark of her school.
That's awesome. I agree about the importance of community. I cannot imagine sending kids off to online college in the fall. No thanks. I wonder if small liberal arts colleges will have an easier time ramping back up to get ready since they already don't have any big classes to rethink.

That's awesome. I agree about the importance of community. I cannot imagine sending kids off to online college in the fall. No thanks. I wonder if small liberal arts colleges will have an easier time ramping back up to get ready since they already don't have any big classes to rethink.
Quite possibly. My daughter’s biggest class is 12 people. I think the biggest lecture in the whole school is 40 people, with smaller breakout groups for labs. With 1200 students and almost all of them (and the professors) living on campus, they plan to come back in fall even if it means limiting people’s ability to leave campus during the semester.

Quite possibly. My daughter’s biggest class is 12 people. I think the biggest lecture in the whole school is 40 people, with smaller breakout groups for labs. With 1200 students and almost all of them (and the professors) living on campus, they plan to come back in fall even if it means limiting people’s ability to leave campus during the semester.
That's exactly what I would want for my child. Live your life at college knowing they will take care of you.

I really, really hope they can go to college in the fall. My 16 year-old was admitted to an amazing program at a state university that allows the kids to attend college classes, live in the dorm, etc...for their last two years of high school! And it’s completely free!! He worked so hard to get in, and I will just he sad for him if he cannot go. Ok, selfish rant over.

I really, really hope they can go to college in the fall. My 16 year-old was admitted to an amazing program at a state university that allows the kids to attend college classes, live in the dorm, etc...for their last two years of high school! And it’s completely free!! He worked so hard to get in, and I will just he sad for him if he cannot go. Ok, selfish rant over.
Not selfish at all. My daughter had an amazing internship lined up this summer working with Upwards Bound. She had to jump through hoops to get approval from 3 different teachers and administrators, she needs it to graduate, and she had 2 jobs lined up on and off campus. And now she doesn’t. she is really sad about it and I’m sad for her. So much has been lost on so many levels for so many people.

Not selfish at all. My daughter had an amazing internship lined up this summer working with Upwards Bound. She had to jump through hoops to get approval from 3 different teachers and administrators, she needs it to graduate, and she had 2 jobs lined up on and off campus. And now she doesn’t. she is really sad about it and I’m sad for her. So much has been lost on so many levels for so many people.
Thank you! I’m sorry for her! Hell, for all of them!

Wow, that's so interesting that they might be able to run the college by limiting ability to leave during the semester. I really feel sorry for the college kids right now -having to leave their entire lives at school and do classwork from home.

Well, despite earlier statements, our governor didn’t even include gyms of any sort in phase 1, so looks like at least 3 more weeks for us.
I am super disappointed that gyms weren’t include. I am a coach and I miss my girls so much. I do agree with the plan. It is a good idea to open some things and then wait 18 days to see if it safe to open more things up.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back