Parents OMG I can't believe it

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

cher062

Ok I know meets need to be paid for in advance etc. But I got the "bill" today for the rest of the meet and its due on the 15th of this month for the rest of the season a whopping $586!! I've already paid $200 for some of the meets so that is $786 not including the sectionals and state meet.

Its the due in a week that is the hard part!! because we also owe the tuition on the 15th that is $356 on top of the $586 all due on the 15th!!! a total of $942
icon9.gif

Yikes!! I don't know how we are going to pay that all at once I guess its off to grandma's to see if we can get her to pay for some if not all of this, hit the reserve credit or credit cards or sell a kidney!

If I had known how much they would want all at once back at the begining of the summer I could have put away some money each month so I would have it. Guess I'll know better for next year. Guess that is one of the things we deal with when changing gyms they all have something that will shock you.

Can you bake 942 cupcakes fast!? No seriously, when my older daughter's did gymnastics, They wanted $800.00 per child for comp. fees right when they made the team so I can relate.

Yikes! I can't believe they expect you to pay that much money with no notice! Ouch! Our gym gives out a sheet with all the meets, meet fees, breakdown of expenses (including leos, etc) in July. The total is divided into three payments, September 15, October 15 and November 15. We know exactly how much is due and have a while to come up with it all. Maybe I should tell HC just how much I appreciate that. :eek:

Yikes! I can't believe they expect you to pay that much money with no notice! Ouch! Our gym gives out a sheet with all the meets, meet fees, breakdown of expenses (including leos, etc) in July. The total is divided into three payments, September 15, October 15 and November 15. We know exactly how much is due and have a while to come up with it all. Maybe I should tell HC just how much I appreciate that. :eek:

This is how our gym does it too. Not exact payment dates, LOL, but breaking it down into monthly payments. I believe the team started paying in late August on a monthly basis for meet fees. I'm getting my information from the flyers on the information board.

:eek: thats a lot to have come due at once!

We pay and extra $100 a month for the 7 months of our competitive seasons (we have 2 right now) and at the end might have a small bill of under $100 leftover to pay.

We also do some fundraisers with the $$ each girl earns going into their own account..it helps out a lot!

I sympathize and relate. We were supposed to pay $100/month but then some meets were changed and we got whacked with $400 due in a week after just paying for choreography and leos, also $400. At least it was between tuition payments.:crackup:

My dd's meet/coaches fees are all due at the same time also, BUT they let us know months in advance what the estimate is and we have the opportunity to build money through fundraising all year. SO, the leo-warm-up order was due a few weeks ago and then in a few weeks the $1400 meet/coaches fees are due, but luckily I won't pay much out of pocket b/c of the $ built up in her booster account :). YEAH to boosters!

(btw- we get a detailed list of where the $went in the spring to let us know the breakdown of where it was all spent [exactly how much ea meet entry fee was, and how much was spent to pay for lodging for coaches, etc] which is very nice and keeps the parents from feeling ripped off. I've been at gym where the management liked to tack on extra "handling" fees and assume that the parents wouldn't know it....recipe for lots of distrust and they lost quite a few parents due to mistrust. So I really appreciate the breakdown :)).

Man! I can't imagine having to come up with that much money on such short notice. Glad we have a booster club that is successful enough to pay for meet fees for all meets.

wowza!:eek: I'd be in shock if I were you, too. Our gym spreads the meet fees out from September through January...we have about $100 due every 2 weeks from now until January 1. It is kinda like having your wages garnished...:pbut I still think it's a little easier to take than the big amount all at once. Sorry!! But you will know to plan ahead for next season! (by the way, our fees work out to be about the same as yours, just spread out a little more).

:eek: seriously? that's crazy! we pay meet by meet - probably adds up to the same but it's less painful and we get to live in a nice delusional state never really taking the time to do the math . . .

Now, my older daughter just joined dance team. Costume payments are all due at once . . . in full . . . I'm sure that will cause me to cry / hyperventilate . . . can't hide from reality when it's on a piece of paper and due all at once.

sigh

on a side note - my parents NEVER would have done this for me and my sister. Is it our generation? have we all just gone mad?

:eek: seriously? that's crazy! we pay meet by meet - probably adds up to the same but it's less painful and we get to live in a nice delusional state never really taking the time to do the math . . .

Now, my older daughter just joined dance team. Costume payments are all due at once . . . in full . . . I'm sure that will cause me to cry / hyperventilate . . . can't hide from reality when it's on a piece of paper and due all at once.

sigh

on a side note - my parents NEVER would have done this for me and my sister. Is it our generation? have we all just gone mad?

lol! I'm not sure but I know my parents were worse than I am. All my (4) brothers played football, basketball and baseball. I grew up a gymnast, cheerleader and diver. My mom sent me to cheer & diving camp every summer. As nice as it is to be exposed to different elements as a child I cannot imagine putting my kids through what we all went through.

My oldest son was on his HS swim team but quit this year. My youngest son ran on his Jr HS track team but isn't sure if he wants to do it now that he's in HS. He wants to try out for the Rugby team. Pixie was briefly in dance but hated it. And I'll continue to foot the outrageous gymnastics bills as long as she is having fun and wants to do it.

I think the difference here is that my children are allowed to make their choices. So as long as we don't fall into my mother's camp, I don't think we are crazy at all :D

That is crazy to have all of that due at one time. YIKES!!

We get a meet list and then next to each meet is the amount (anywhere from $150-$190 per) and when the fee is due. It seems like we pay one meet fee a month starting in October. It probably adds up to the same amount but it makes it seem better with them being spread out. :)

We get a meet list and then next to each meet is the amount (anywhere from $150-$190 per) and when the fee is due. It seems like we pay one meet fee a month starting in October. It probably adds up to the same amount but it makes it seem better with them being spread out. :)
This is exactly the same for us as well.
Except we haven't gotten the schedule yet this year. grrr....

It's nice not getting stuck with the entry fees all in one pop. But, I can imagine billing for all the entry fees at once makes things so much easier for the gym not to have to worry about waiting to send in the payment for registration for each meet when there are a few stragglers who haven't paid yet.

Pixie's gym sends out so many reminders through emails and notices being sent home with the girls. I would assume they'd love not to have to hassle with all of that.

Still, if they're gonna hit you with it all at once they should at least warn ya. Or let you make payments over the summer. Something. There has to be a better solution than what they offered you.

Holy cow, we pay $45 a meet for regional and $55 a meet for civile and $100 for national level meets. We do about 3 a year. There is NO WAY I'd pay those prices.

What on earth do you get for your money?:eek::confused:

We always get brand new gymnova equipment in a facility with two sets of equipment, one for warm up and one for the competition. There is a resto, photographer and leos for sale. We DO NOT get charged entrance fees to watch.

SOmeone is making buckets of money on those meets!

Holy cow, we pay $45 a meet for regional and $55 a meet for civile and $100 for national level meets. We do about 3 a year. There is NO WAY I'd pay those prices.

What on earth do you get for your money?:eek::confused:

We always get brand new gymnova equipment in a facility with two sets of equipment, one for warm up and one for the competition. There is a resto, photographer and leos for sale. We DO NOT get charged entrance fees to watch.

SOmeone is making buckets of money on those meets!

Yeah, Tell me about it. I am sure that there is a VERY nice profit being made. (although they deny that) Now, those fees also include the coaches fees but still...............

We only do the big invitational meets and there are photographers and Leos and a host of other things for sale but you know, that just costs me even more money. LOL!

Yeah, Tell me about it. I am sure that there is a VERY nice profit being made. (although they deny that) Now, those fees also include the coaches fees but still...............

Who do you refer to as 'they'? Most of the meets that we attend, and the yearly meet that we put on, are hosted by the gym's booster club, and the profits go into the club's general fund. In many cases a meet is the largest fundraiser of the year for a booster club.

Who do you refer to as 'they'? Most of the meets that we attend, and the yearly meet that we put on, are hosted by the gym's booster club, and the profits go into the club's general fund. In many cases a meet is the largest fundraiser of the year for a booster club.

Gymdad2, when your gym hosts a meet, how many gymnasts, on average attend, and how much profit is made?

When you say the booster club runs them, do they then get to dictate how the money is spent? Booster clubs do not exist in Canada, we all just pay the bills.

Sorry, I am referrng to our Gym making a profit from the meet fees that they charge us.
I am in no way referring to the Gym who is hosting the meet. When you see a entrance fee of say $50 per gymnast for a meet and OUR Gym is charging us $190, well, you can see my point.

I didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers as my statement was meant only in reference to our gym. :eek:

Ah, so the meet fees are $50 and then the gym is adding their own fees on top! Still that is a lot when a whole team is going, those coaches must be having a PARTY!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back