MAG OMG, nationals!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
Oh, I know it makes sense not to have Modi on the team, but it is still really a letdown to go from "will he be doing AA?" to this. I wish he had not had such a bad case of the pommel yuks. It's all about maximizing medal possibilities, and he is more of an AA guy than someone who can be counted upon to make event finals.

Mikulak on pbars? I don't know. That would be doubling the number of landings he needs to work on between now and October. I think what he does will tell us a lot about what he thinks his prospects are of making it to another Olympics. If he wants to go to Tokyo, I expect to see him only on horse and high bar. Modi would have been the third pbars guy, but now I don't know what they do. I guess maybe Kimble, but that event has been a real problem for him. No one else showed a routine. So maybe it does have to be Mikulak.

Here's my best guess for lineups, which looks a lot like Skschlag's.

Moldauer AA

FX: Whittenburg, Penev
PH: Naddour, Mikulak
SR: Whittenburg, Kimble
PB: Whittenburg, Mr. X
HB: Kimble, Mikulak

I can't see putting Whittenburg in AA when you have Mikulak in the mix. I will say, though, that Whittenburg's PH on day two was the best routine I have ever seen him do.

Oh, I know it makes sense not to have Modi on the team, but it is still really a letdown to go from "will he be doing AA?" to this. I wish he had not had such a bad case of the pommel yuks. It's all about maximizing medal possibilities, and he is more of an AA guy than someone who can be counted upon to make event finals.

Mikulak on pbars? I don't know. That would be doubling the number of landings he needs to work on between now and October. I think what he does will tell us a lot about what he thinks his prospects are of making it to another Olympics. If he wants to go to Tokyo, I expect to see him only on horse and high bar. Modi would have been the third pbars guy, but now I don't know what they do. I guess maybe Kimble, but that event has been a real problem for him. No one else showed a routine. So maybe it does have to be Mikulak.

Here's my best guess for lineups, which looks a lot like Skschlag's.

Moldauer AA

FX: Whittenburg, Penev
PH: Naddour, Mikulak
SR: Whittenburg, Kimble
PB: Whittenburg, Mr. X
HB: Kimble, Mikulak

I can't see putting Whittenburg in AA when you have Mikulak in the mix. I will say, though, that Whittenburg's PH on day two was the best routine I have ever seen him do.
It will be Kimble on PB if Sam not ready. He has a 6.3 D score(tied with Donnell for highest on team). Inconsistency isn't such an issue when going for event medals versus team score. Potential to score big is a better gamble than consistency when no team competition.

I am curious what making the Junior national team means in terms of changes to training? Meets ahead? etc. Anyone know?

Also I missed it but my boys told me that Brett McClure is using some kind of Money Ball type method for choosing team USA?

Reactions: sce
Also I missed it but my boys told me that Brett McClure is using some kind of Money Ball type method for choosing team USA?

All of the gymnast fill out a form every Morning and evening about their health and how they feel to prevent injury (that is what i heard at least). Is that what you mean?

I am curious what making the Junior national team means in terms of changes to training? Meets ahead? etc. Anyone know?

We had a guy on Junior National Team last year (and he made it again this year, but I don't know what's in store for this year). He got to compete in one of the international competitions, and he (and our head coach) had some additional training opportunities come from it.

Kevin Penev and Brody Malone are apparently going to the Japan Junior meet next month. I'm not sure how many other opportunities there are for the junior guys.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back