Off Topic On-The-Go Meal Ideas

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymbeam

Proud Parent
Sooooo, as if packing school lunches everyday wasn't enough, I'm realizing that there are about 1-2 nights a week that I really need to start packing dinner to avoid the fast food temptation or deli sandwich burnout.

Since we already do a lot of sandwiches and typical lighter lunch stuff for school, I am hoping for some dinner ideas that offer a little more "umpph"!

Like, individual frozen lasagnas that can be pulled out, thawed during the day and eaten at room temp., pasta salads with some protein, meatballs, that kind of thing. Stuff thats more dinner-y, but portable. I'd love specific recipes, if possible!

Anyone have some ideas to add to the list that perhaps you use to sustain your gymnasts on nights they practice? My daughter is 9 and having her wait to eat until we get home at 8:30 just doesn't work for her.

Mine likes pies of all descriptions - tonight she had quiche for her tea (she eats at gym on Fridays), Cornish Pasties of course, savory slices etc.

I mix up the salads a bit, pasta, couscous, we have a microwave at gym so jacket potatoes are possible. You could also do flask meals, so hearty soups and a roll, stews, curry and naan bread.

oh yes! flask meals i had not thought of…i need to find a brand that will actually keep it warm. too many do not.
would any of the pasties be palatable at room temp? if so, do you mind sharing a recipe? i'm not familiar with them at all.

are savory slices different from pizza?

Pasties are great at room temp. I have a wide neck food flask that is stainless steel, if I rinse it with hot water first to warm it up it keeps food hot for 6 hours, plus no glass to break.

Savory slices tend to be a puff pastry shell with a savory filling. Chicken tikka, minced beef and onion in gravy, bacon and cheese, etc

Does your gym have a microwave that can be used to heat food? I tend to cook extra dinner the night before and then DD can reheat it before we leave gym - she eats in the car.
Pasta with any type of sauce, curry with rice, soup with a crusty roll, shepherds pie, noodles, quiche and salad, cold meat and salad, meatballs in tomato sauce, fried rice with egg and some chicken or other protein added.
Pasta, soup and any casserole type dish can also be kept warm in a flask, I fill the flask with boiling water and leave for at least 15 mins to heat the flask before adding the food.
In a pinch if I am really unorganised DD will eat oatmeal, with sultanas and honey kept warm in a flask, with a banana and chocolate milk - not a typical dinner meal but I figure better than takeaway ;)

It sounds like you are wanting to pack this food in the AM and have her eat it before gym. I'd be concerned if it has to stay out of the fridge all day, even with ice packs etc. I could be misinterpreting you though. Is she going straight from school to gym? Do you drive her? Are you coming from work or home?

I am thinking, even if you leave work to pick her up and drive her. Could you have the food in the fridge at work and heat it up before leaving work? If you can do this, then it open up lots of possibilities.

I would be bringing it either from home or from my work when I pick her up from school to transport to gym. There will definitely be a refrigerator as an option, but not sure about a microwave at the gym (my work is probably too far for things to stay warm, although I guess some stuff could go in insulated containers.)

I would think heating it at work would be better than eating something that is just thawed as you suggested. You can heat things pretty hot and put the container in an insulated lunch box, which should keep it pretty warm.

Some things my kids like in these circumstances are pasta, potstickers and edamame, burritoes, chicken nuggets, quesadillas

Cold items that are filling: chicken salad or tuna salad and crackers, chinese chicken salad or caesar salad and chicken (add the dressing just prior to eating), bean salad, hard boiled eggs

One of my favourite things to make its pasta, with veggies( we usual put green pepper, celery, little bit if onion, red pepper) and then we usually cook up sausage or ground turkey and put that it in there. then instead of tomato sauce I use crushed/ stewed tomatoes. Put them in individual containers in the fridge and any of the kids can grab them before we head out the door. I usually make enough for 8-10 containers and that usually last us a week, and what ever doesn't get eaten I through in the freezer, but that rarely happens. Even my pickiest little girl who doesn't like a lot of foods eats everything in it, it's actually the one food she doesn't pick apart and only eat certain things.

My kids love quinoa, cous cous, and pasta salad, all mixed with a different variety of veggies and/or meats ( lean ground turkey or shredded chicken usually ) with a toss of a vinaigrette. These mixes are great hot or cold. Usually something with a citrus or balsamic base ( just their preference ) could be anything! Or a hearty soup in a thermos. It's hard sending them to school with lunch and snacks, and wanting something more dinner like on the go. I just try to balance out the overall intake, and keep it yummy!

I am a consultant for the pampered chef and I just started freezer meal workshops, in 2 hours you prep 10 meals that feed 4-6 people that can be cooked in your microwave, or crockpot. Has made my life so much easier... I do know there are lots of pampered chef consultants doing this concept, I can find one near you...

My dd loves all the meals so far, and the thrill of not going through a drive thru after practice is great

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back