Parents On the road

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gym law mom

Proud Parent
Got our meet schedule for the optional girls. Wow, the girls are going to get some big time exposure and I may be able to meet a few of you at meets.
We start off doing 2 big in state invitationals in Jan----starting with a big invitational makes me a little nervous----what about those nice little 4 or 5 team meets at a regular gym??
In Feb., the teams hit the road. Go to WOGA Classic over Valentine/Presidents Day weekend. My gymmie is in heaven since that is "Nastia's gym." For that meet only the L8s and up get to go. If anyone has been to this meet, let me know what its like. 2 weeks later, all the optional girls head to...............Palm Beach,FL for the Palm Beach Invitational. MSL---isn't your gym co-hosting this???
Then they have to come back and settle for our gym doing a smaller optional meet and thats it. I never factor in states until she's qualified---a little paranoid I know:) This year, she'll need a 32AA to make states.

So, these girls will be quite busy come Jan and that means handling schoolwork and the travel.

Yikes. Now I see why a booster club must benefit the upper level gymnasts more than lower level. Travel to the meets, etc for coaches is covered by the gymnasts/booster club, right?

Anyway, that sounds like she will have a fun (and expensive) meet season and get to see lots of cool places. I hope she has a blast and that you can meet some fellow CBers. :D

Wow - she must feel really cool going to all those big time meets :D And of course if I see someone on the side of road collecting cans for the $.05 deposit there is probably a good chance it might just be you :p

Yikes. Now I see why a booster club must benefit the upper level gymnasts more than lower level. Travel to the meets, etc for coaches is covered by the gymnasts/booster club, right?

Anyway, that sounds like she will have a fun (and expensive) meet season and get to see lots of cool places. I hope she has a blast and that you can meet some fellow CBers. :D

This is why we drag ourselves to bingo one Friday night/month. The booster club makes enough from that to cover meet fees(which aren't cheap for these meets), coach expenses and they also pay for each girl's plane tickets and hotel. Parents have an option of going as a "team chaperone" and if you do that, you get everything paid for also. Ok, food is your own nickel. Parents just going to be with their dds have to pay for plane fare, hotel etc. although usually enough go so that you can at least split expenses on renting a car/hotel room.

I saw on the WOGA site that they have pre-order tshirts for $15. Usually gymmie isn't big on having to get all that stuff, but............................... Yeah, you may see me on the side of the road very soon with bag in hand.

Not all Booster Clubs pay for the coaches expenses. We have only been to 1 gym where the Booster Club did this. At the other gyms, the coaches cost is divided by the number of girls going to that meet.

My dd's gym does not have a booster club. She is competing 8 this yr and I am my own booster club and it very expensive, between meet fees, travel expenses, etc. We pay a monthly coaches fee which pays for the coaches expenses and stuff, but oye - she has 3 out of state meets, one requires flying and my money tree is losing it's dollar leaves..... ;)

Anyone going to Christmas on the Chesapeake; Northeast Invite (Jan) or Chicago Style Meet????

..Palm Beach,FL for the Palm Beach Invitational. MSL---isn't your gym co-hosting this???

Yay! Yes we are! How cool it will be to meet you!!! My dd will be doing Prep-Op at that meet, and I will most certainly be working my butt off behind the scenes somehwhere. But I love working at meets.

It's gonna be good, I heard we have M&M Gymnastics (Chellsie's gym) coming! We also got aksed to do Elite testing or Hopes testing or something like that, so I think we will get treated to some really cool gymnastics that weekend.

Can't wait to see your dd in action! :cool:

I think we are going to be at the Palm Beach meet. Its at the end of Feb, correct? :confused:

Yay! You too! See my post to gym law mom. Yes, the meet is Feb 28- March 1.

Can't wait to meet you & gym law mom, & your dd's. What level will your dd be competing? :)

Anyone going to Christmas on the Chesapeake; Northeast Invite (Jan) or Chicago Style Meet????[/quote]

We are going to Xmass on Chesapeake, but is is a local meet for us. My DD will be competing Level 5, which we hope is on Saturday because there is a football game in Baltimore on Sunday!

Ok, don't shoot me b/c this is my 4th reply here! But I wanted to chime-in about our Winter/Spring Season travel meets, to check if I'd see any of you CB-ers out there!

DD will be attending a few big/popular meets as a Prep-Op:

~NAWGJ National Judges Cup
~Sand Dollar Invitational
~Chicago Style Navy Pier (actually she has to do L6 at this meet since they will not have Prep-Op, I think I goofed-up in an earlier post)
~Palm Beach Invite (ours)

Will we see any of you out there (besides those I already posted to)? :cool:

Anyone going to Christmas on the Chesapeake; Northeast Invite (Jan) or Chicago Style Meet????

We are going to Xmass on Chesapeake, but is is a local meet for us. My DD will be competing Level 5, which we hope is on Saturday because there is a football game in Baltimore on Sunday![/quote]

Well, we live about 2.5 hours from Baltimore. I do have reservations at the Sheraton since we have no idea what day she will be competing. Last yr the levels 8 competed on Friday - hoping that is not the case this yr as I really don't want to have to take the day off of work - fingers crossed here too in hopes of a tentative schedule.

~Sand Dollar Invitational
~Chicago Style Navy Pier (actually she has to do L6 at this meet since they will not have Prep-Op, I think I goofed-up in an earlier post)

Will we see any of you out there (besides those I already posted to)? :cool:

DD will be competing L4 at both of these meets. Sand Dollar is optional for our gym, I am flying down with the kids from Thurs to Wed and making it a Disney vacation.

Her first meet is the Peppermint Twist in MN, will anyone be there??

Barb

DD will be competing L4 at both of these meets. Sand Dollar is optional for our gym, I am flying down with the kids from Thurs to Wed and making it a Disney vacation.

How fun, great idea! When these meets get closer, I will have to find out everyone's sessions and see if we can hook up! :cool:

Wow I am glad my dd is only L4 and all meets are 1hr away except states that will be 4hr.Gym Law Mom I think it is amazing how much money your booster club is racking in ,sounds like your dd is going to get to go to some amazing meets!

My dd has done the WOGA meet and will be doing it again. She is competing as a L7. It is a big meet and lots of other gyms come--lots of fun. I do know that you will want to go watch the Elite session which is usually on Sat. night. You have to purchase separate tickets for that---but well worth it. I also know that Nastia and Carly signed stuff last year. On a side note---the meet is at a convention center and not at the actual gym---bit I am sure you can drive by the gym and see it if you want to.

Should be fun...maybe we will see you there!

Our Level 8's will be "traveling' for the first time this yr. We are going to the Parkettes Invitational in Jan.

Seems that even though my Level 5 & 8 are competing the same season, they will be going to different meets!!! HELP!!

Our booster club does not pay for travel expenses for the coaches or girls. All costs for coachings are divided amongst the girls competing. The gymnasts pay their own way.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back