Parents One arm bending in back hand spring

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymMom2013

Proud Parent
Gymnast
My daughter (L4 training 5-6) has a great round off back hand spring and round off two back hand springs but whenever she does any back hand spring (standing or in series) her left arm bends. She is making all corrections and trying very hard but it keeps bending. Coaches aren’t worried but also say they don’t want to keep working on higher skills until it’s fixed. She has no problem with her arms on kips, in back walk overs, etc. Any tips? It’s really frustrating her!

I wonder if this could be more of an anatomical issue, something that her arm does (involuntarily) in relation to the impact from the BHS? Interested in the opinion of others, especially coaches. I'm a nerd for the body mechanics stuff.

Good luck to your DD!

Could the left arm be ever so slightly shorter than the right where it needs to compensate by bending so both hands hit the floor? Measure her arms.

Could she also be pushing off harder on one side and/or landing harder on the left?

Videotape the skill combination on slow mo and play it back slowly. See if she is fully squared on pushing off and landing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back