Parents Online flexibility one on one coaching

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Kolabola29

Proud Parent
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anybody had suggestions for flexibility coaches who offer private coaching sessions remotely. Thanks!

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anybody had suggestions for flexibility coaches who offer private coaching sessions remotely. Thanks!

Are you sure you need online lessons for flex? Not that it wouldn’t help some kids… but it can probably be done without one on one.

It’s a very interesting request… you have me wondering now.

Are you sure you need online lessons for flex? Not that it wouldn’t help some kids… but it can probably be done without one on one.

My contortion coach was an amazing online teacher! I did some of his virtual classes during covid times and it was so fun and so productive. I had left formal contortion training and performing by that point, but had enjoyed using my covid times to re-gain some flexibility and strength. Definitely can't replace hands on forever, but it was really good quality. I agree that I don't know that gymnastics would really require that type of training/instruction though.

Reactions: JBS

It’s easy to do flexibility incorrectly when following YouTube or general classes in a way that defeats the purpose of the exercise. And when flexibility improvements (in hips, shoulders, etc.) are needed to prevent injury (in addition to reducing deductions), some lessons could be helpful at the outset.

It’s easy to do flexibility incorrectly when following YouTube or general classes in a way that defeats the purpose of the exercise. And when flexibility improvements (in hips, shoulders, etc.) are needed to prevent injury (in addition to reducing deductions), some lessons could be helpful at the outset.

I would think it would be pretty easy to do stretches incorrectly in any sort of online setting.

Googling it I found this though...

Here is another one...

@Kolabola29 If you end up doing anything like this... let us know how it goes. I'm still very interested in how this would work.

I'd be weary about this kind of flexibility coaching and make sure a parent is there at all times. Something about the online nature of it doesn't sit right with me

Just linking another thread in here...

@Kolabola29 If you end up doing anything like this... let us know how it goes. I'm still very interested in how this would work.
We've been working with Dani Winks (a flexibility and contortion coach), and it's been going really well. My daughter has two thirty-minute sessions a week via Zoom (and Dani has her change her move/turn to make sure she can see the relevant angles to make sure she's doing it properly), and then she has exercises she does on her own time as well (I often do those with her because it helps my own flexibility and it's more fun for my daughter that way). There's actually more strength than stretching, which surprised me about flexibility--but turns out that a lot of supposed flexibility issues actually have to do with lacking the right *kind* of strength (the right kind of ankle strength for toepoint, hip strength or using the right muscles for getting legs up in jumps, certain aspects of core strength for getting the right compression when lifting legs), not to mention sciatic nerve and other issues that can manifest in a way that looks like it's a lack of flexibility but it's really not. I had very unpleasant email interactions with Stacey Nemour and didn't end up going with her, but Dani is fantastic, and my daughter is definitely seeing improvement.

We've been working with Dani Winks (a flexibility and contortion coach), and it's been going really well. My daughter has two thirty-minute sessions a week via Zoom (and Dani has her change her move/turn to make sure she can see the relevant angles to make sure she's doing it properly), and then she has exercises she does on her own time as well (I often do those with her because it helps my own flexibility and it's more fun for my daughter that way). There's actually more strength than stretching, which surprised me about flexibility--but turns out that a lot of supposed flexibility issues actually have to do with lacking the right *kind* of strength (the right kind of ankle strength for toepoint, hip strength or using the right muscles for getting legs up in jumps, certain aspects of core strength for getting the right compression when lifting legs), not to mention sciatic nerve and other issues that can manifest in a way that looks like it's a lack of flexibility but it's really not. I had very unpleasant email interactions with Stacey Nemour and didn't end up going with her, but Dani is fantastic, and my daughter is definitely seeing improvement.
I am.glad to hear you say she's being taught that flexibility is a lot of strength! When I started training contortion, I learned about so many muscles I didn't know I had or could use like that. Sounds like you found a good coach for your daughter.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back