Parents Open gym video with me teaching Madi backhandsprings, lol

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Great work! How old is Madi? Is she on pre-team? Will she be old enough for competition next year? She looks like she is really having a good time. That's what it is all about.
Imat3

Madi is 5 right now. She will be 6 on June 3rd:) So yes she will be old enough to compete as a level 4 next year but we are not there yet. We are hoping she will compete level 3 this next year at the new gym. She is on the miniteam at McCracken's and we are in the minigym at the new gym as we are transitioning over between both gyms right now since I am paid up for both right now till the end of the month anyway:)
Madi loves gymnastics:) She has advanced very quickly. I started her last June right when she turned 5 and we have been gaining skills rapidly:) Except bars that is... pesky bars, lol...
Thank you for watching and the compliments:)

Hey melmonette, I think you made a first, having a parent in a gym video!!!! Now we know who you are at last. Madi is such a little cutie and I see Em is getting used to the high bar.

Maybe we should start a new thread, putting the face to the name!

very cute !!! I think L3 is a great place to start competing. It gives them a chance to get used to doing routines in front of people / judges w/o having to pull off things like ROBHS!!!

Great video..I wish I was allowed to do open gym with my daughter. That would be cool. Our gym does not allow it.

Thank you ladies for watching:)
I love open gym for that reason Medic... I love to go in and spot my girls and have them try new stuff with me and take in just our dig camera and get some good videos or pictures too since I can be so close to them while they practice stuff unlike real practice, hee hee...Our new gym lets parents be in with the kids during it too.

Hee Hee Bog:) Good idea... I would love to see what the other moms/dads look like:) It is always great to put a face with a username:)

Last edited:
They are doing great. Nice to put a face with the name. Our gym also allows parents to go in during open gym. So tryically once a week we do a few hours and I work on spotting skills she is working on or struggling with. I did get yelled at last week for spotting a back handspring by her coach. Only because DD doesn't need it. Her coach swatted me and told DD to get busy and do it by herself. LOL.

DD loves when Mommy gets to be her coach for an afternoon. LOL

so cute! it must be fun to go in with them. when we have gone, my DD wants to just jump into the pit over and over from the vault or bars.

my DD is the opposite. floor is not her strong point, but she has the whole L4 bar routine now, with spots on the front hip and mill circle and a few extra casts before the shoot through, LOL. she loves bars. only likes "fun stuff" on the floor, which for her are back walkovers, kickovers, back/front limbers and working on her front walkover. she loves back handsprings as well, but is still needing a spot because she jumps up instead of back. she absolutely hates the handstand forward roll and back extension roll and says they aren't fun. she refuses to practice those at home, she'd rather work on the "fun stuff". she does like handstands, cartwheels and roundoffs, too. silly girl.

she loves vault and has her vault pretty good now (on the trampoline spring thing though, not the hard springboard). beam she does okay, but she is pretty cautious up there since she fell hard once when she was just turned 5.

Thanks again girls:)
I could never coach my daughter Emily. She gets really whiny with me and doesn't focus as much and wants to be babied more with me. She is totally different with her coaches. She listens and doesn't pull this I can't do it mom stuff she does with me.

Sounds like your dd is cruising along with those level 4 skills Mariosamama:) Emily hates back extensions too and only works on them if they are doing them in practice. Emily loves to do skills she can't do at practice such as round off back handsprings back tucks and punch fronts both of which she has but they don't work on them in practice because they are level 6 skills and many of the girls barely have their level 5 skills so level 6 skills are out of the question. She also loves to work on aerial cartwheels too. Oh and back handspring step outs on the low beam.... this is her newest obsession. Vault is usually off limits at open gym, most likely because of all the little kids just running around like crazy. Our Vaulting track and table is in the middle of the gym area....

how funny about the whining. my DD is that way at home and drives me nuts. "mom, help me." so i try and she cries and whines and drives me crazy. at the gym, she never does that at all. she is a totally different kid.

DD is also obsessed with aerial cartwheels. she has no need for the skill but wants to learn it and her coach helps her with them. she wants the big stuff. LOL. she doesn't get that you have to work your UP. :D

That is so awesome that your dd is learning aerials. They were my favorite thing to do when I was in gymnastics too. I loved doing two in a row without any running into them:) I also loved aerial front walkovers. I actually thought they were easier than regular front walkovers:) I did them on the low beam too. I could nail them there but never ventured to the high beam because I was afraid of them on the high beam:)

Yes, I think our own kids can be such babies for us and so good and strong for their coaches or teachers.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back