WAG Open Gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnast_Tor

Gymnast
Hey, guys! My gym does not have open gyms, but since I have so few hours of practice a week, I want more practice time. They DO have parent's night outs, and they last 3 and a half hours, BUT I'll probably be the only one older than 10 there. (And I'm 16.) I'm trying to get to level 3 before summer and level 4 by fall, so I need the practice time.

Are there any teen rec classes you can join? Any other local gyms that do do open gym?

If you really want to practice then don't worry about being older than the other kids at the parent's night outs (what a great idea!!) just go when they have one and do what you want to do, ignoring all the little kids mucking up around you. Remember your goals and focus. You might actually make some of the younger kids focus more!

Make the most of them (btw I want to move my kids to your gym, lol) - if you are there working hard I'm sure the coaches will also happily give you some extra tips as I imagine a lot of the kids would use that time as fun gym time.
Just remember you are there to work and reach your goals and don't worry that you are older. Just go in with your plan of what you want to do and accomplish and get on with it.
Good luck. Don't let your age stop you reaching your goals.

I think, a lot of gymnastics training is geared towards building strength. You could do conditioning exercises at home. Many coaches here may direct you to the right exercises (i.e., push ups, chin ups, leg lifts, you can work on your splits, do some jumping exercises, stretches, do handstands against a wall, heel raises, etc.). Do you have a floor beam or a handstand bar? Make sure you have enough room and don't break anything at home. I could be talking out of my hat here, but joining a gym, crossfit, anything that can improve your physical shape should help.

Make the most of them (btw I want to move my kids to your gym, lol) - if you are there working hard I'm sure the coaches will also happily give you some extra tips as I imagine a lot of the kids would use that time as fun gym time.
Just remember you are there to work and reach your goals and don't worry that you are older. Just go in with your plan of what you want to do and accomplish and get on with it.
Good luck. Don't let your age stop you reaching your goals.

Haha! Maybe if to moved here you could give me more advice. I'm going to try going to one, and see if it helps. I don't have a floor beam or handstand bar, but I have a pull up bar and I've been doing exercises everyday and have taught myself new skills at home.

I've worked at several PNO's, and have seen a pattern that fits about 4 of 5 kids...... kids come in, kids go crazy, kids run out of steam. They slow down a lot after that, and watch a video, build a fort with mats and blocks, and hang out with friends they've made. If you show up about 20-30 minutes late you'll be able to warm-up and do flexibility work until the "slow down" happens. Shortly after the slowdown you should be able to snag a coach who's just waiting for something to do, and will gladly spend a few minutes helping you as they keep an eye on the rest of the group. If you're lucky you may end up with as much as an hour of one on one through the rest of the night.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back