Parents open gyms

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

L

laurameer

Hi all, I was wondering do you have any of your kids going to extra non-class training, like an open gym? Have you seen any benefit? My DD's coach says she needs a couple skills to advance to the next level and is otherwise more than ready. She offered privates but said having her come to an open gym where there are several coaches available would probably be just as good at this point and less costly. Any thoughts??

I have seen huge increases in my students that attend open gym on a regular basis. I don't ever order them to do anything at open gym (I do suggest sometimes)...open gym is their time to have fun and do the stuff they really want to. Kids will naturally practice skills they need work on because they want to learn them. Open gym is positive, fun, and great exercise for a low price...you can't beat that.

We don't have open gym either. Not sure if they just don't have the time or don't want to spend the money to pay coaches to be in there.

Open gym at the gym where i competed was run differently than my gym in TX. In pittsburgh, my coach would hold open workout each saturday and charge $5 for 2 hours--we were free to do anything we wanted and he would be there to help us; it was open strictly to team memebers. In my gym here, open gym is open to the public, costs $5 for 2 hours, and there are multiple coaches available.

I was at every single open gym because I loved the fact that I could work on anything I wanted and I was free to stop anytime i wanted. I think it allows the gymnasts to take iniative and be motivated about working on a skill they want to get.

Thanks for the input. We're going to check it out Sat. Seems like a good way to practice, especially since we don't have bars at home! :p

They offer a Parent's Night Out at our gym about once a month also. It's $20 for 4 hrs, but obviously not all the time is for practice. They do snack, games etc... I was thinking for her, Sat might be better. She's pretty tired on Fri evenings after a week of school.

Thanks for the input. We're going to check it out Sat. Seems like a good way to practice, especially since we don't have bars at home! :p

They offer a Parent's Night Out at our gym about once a month also. It's $20 for 4 hrs, but obviously not all the time is for practice. They do snack, games etc... I was thinking for her, Sat might be better. She's pretty tired on Fri evenings after a week of school.

PNO is an excuse for you to get out of the house...not practice for the gymnasts. You really can't beat 4 hours of fun for $20. We charge $30 for 3.5 hours at my gym...and it's packed. I can't wait until my girls are old enough to go. My wife and I will take advantage of it...if I'm not working it.:(

My daughters gym has open gym as well, every Friday night. For kids who are not on the team, it's 10 bucks. Team kids are only 2.00 bucks! Can't beat that from 7-9pm. She goes, for social reasons. She also has learned level 6 and 7 floor routines.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back