Parents Opinions or Real Situations on Gymnastics in College

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

KipNurse

Proud Parent
How many of you parents/coaches/whoever have seen girls that go all the way to level 10, and receive a gymnastics college scholarship WHILE going to regular public school. Meaning...not online courses, not modified schedules, but full on \, regular old-fashioned 830-330 public school.
I know the whole deal: Gotta be a STRONG level 8 by 6th grade, 5th grade preferably (poor little washed up 6th grade level 8s..please hear the sarcasm:rolleyes::p:D), level 9 by 6th, and a level 10 by ...well you've all seen it. And qualify for Easterns, Nationals...etc etc. I get all that.
But how many of these kids, percentage wise, do you all think or know that have done it while having a normal high school life? Not homeschool.
I'm truly curious.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'd wager that even if they have a normal high school schedule they do not have a normal high school life.
Yes. I definitely didn't think that. Most haven't had "normal" social/school life for a while leading up to that point I'd guess.

From what I understand, this kid is in public school: http://www.gym-style.com/sophiabutler/news.htm
Great example! I guess I just wonder if schools work with kids at all...modify schedules? I guess its hard to tell you know? Like I've heard of some getting to opt out of PE, some getting a study hall built in and leaving early. Taking some classes online. But yes, it appears as though this kiddo does it. Impressive. 6th grader committed to Florida. Wow.

How many of you parents/coaches/whoever have seen girls that go all the way to level 10, and receive a gymnastics college scholarship WHILE going to regular public school. Meaning...not online courses, not modified schedules, but full on \, regular old-fashioned 830-330 public school.
I know the whole deal: Gotta be a STRONG level 8 by 6th grade, 5th grade preferably (poor little washed up 6th grade level 8s..please hear the sarcasm:rolleyes::p:D), level 9 by 6th, and a level 10 by ...well you've all seen it. And qualify for Easterns, Nationals...etc etc. I get all that.
But how many of these kids, percentage wise, do you all think or know that have done it while having a normal high school life? Not homeschool.
I'm truly curious.

Great example! I guess I just wonder if schools work with kids at all...modify schedules? I guess its hard to tell you know? Like I've heard of some getting to opt out of PE, some getting a study hall built in and leaving early. Taking some classes online. But yes, it appears as though this kiddo does it. Impressive. 6th grader committed to Florida. Wow.

I'm confused. In the first post you said regular school with no modified scheduled/online etc, but in the second you said you wonder if schools work with kids at all including modified/online. At dd's gym this past year, I think 4 of the 5 seniors graduated from public high schools and got D1 scholarships. However, they did not attend their high schools in a regular, old-fashioned 8:30-3:30 type way. I don't know the exact details, but they were at the gym at 11:30 every day and I believe they attended 2 classes at school and did the other 2 online (schools here have a block schedule so only 4 classes a day).

ETA: They do have only a daytime training group for current levels 9 and 10. I think many (most?) of those girls are now in homeschool/virtual school. I honestly don't know if level 10's attending actual public high schools will continue or if things are changing at her gym. I'm hoping it's still an option, because I really do want my dd to attend regular school.

I'm confused. In the first post you said regular school with no modified scheduled/online etc, but in the second you said you wonder if schools work with kids at all including modified/online. At dd's gym this past year, I think 4 of the 5 seniors graduated from public high schools and got D1 scholarships. However, they did not attend their high schools in a regular, old-fashioned 8:30-3:30 type way. I don't know the exact details, but they were at the gym at 11:30 every day and I believe they attended 2 classes at school and did the other 2 online (schools here have a block schedule so only 4 classes a day).

ETA: They do have only a daytime training group for current levels 9 and 10. I think many (most?) of those girls are now in homeschool/virtual school. I honestly don't know if level 10's attending actual public high schools will continue or if things are changing at her gym. I'm hoping it's still an option, because I really do want my dd to attend regular school.
My first post meant any kids with regular public school, no modifications. I responded to a person who posted the girl who appeared to have public school, and I was just pondering if this was still, in fact "regular' hours, or modified schedule. Or more like what you just mentioned...girls who went to public school, but clearly had modifications. Our school system is very strict, and I don't see that happening, and was just curious.
I guess just to clarify (and you kind of helped me do exactly that with your post): Any kids getting D1 full gymnastics scholarships going to good old fashioned 830-330 school. No online, not able to go to gym in the middle of the day. Just M-F public school all day, then practice all evening. One guy above said yes.
Sorry for the confusion....Sounds like the school system your gym is in offers modifications. Ours, so far...absolutely not.

Out of the 14 girls at my daughter's gym that are committed right now, have already been on a college team, or are starting this fall on a college team, 8 of them had normal, traditional high school. 3 of them graduated early by taking all AP classes or extra classes. Most of them are at DI schools. 4 of the 8 weren't level 10 until 9th or 10th grade; 3 never went to Level 10 Nationals; 1 was level 9 and didn't even compete her senior year due to injury. The road to college is not the same as the road to elite, although it can be.

Homeschooling makes it easier because there is no homework, there is a flexible schedule, but there is nothing about a regular high school schedule and an evening practice schedule that would prevent a talented gymnast from obtaining that level of gymnastics needed for a scholarship.

Out of the 14 girls at my daughter's gym that are committed right now, have already been on a college team, or are starting this fall on a college team, 8 of them had normal, traditional high school. 3 of them graduated early by taking all AP classes or extra classes. Most of them are at DI schools. 4 of the 8 weren't level 10 until 9th or 10th grade; 3 never went to Level 10 Nationals; 1 was level 9 and didn't even compete her senior year due to injury. The road to college is not the same as the road to elite, although it can be.
Wow! This is a great post and great news for the girls at your gym. Thanks for the info!

We have a girl in the gym commit last year as a 9th grader to a div 1 school. She attends school on the regular schedule and doesn't do any of the extra training offered in the morning. I don't believe she has ever done any type of modified schedule at school
Of course she misses for meets when necessary

My first post meant any kids with regular public school, no modifications. I responded to a person who posted the girl who appeared to have public school, and I was just pondering if this was still, in fact "regular' hours, or modified schedule. Or more like what you just mentioned...girls who went to public school, but clearly had modifications. Our school system is very strict, and I don't see that happening, and was just curious.
I guess just to clarify (and you kind of helped me do exactly that with your post): Any kids getting D1 full gymnastics scholarships going to good old fashioned 830-330 school. No online, not able to go to gym in the middle of the day. Just M-F public school all day, then practice all evening. One guy above said yes.
Sorry for the confusion....Sounds like the school system your gym is in offers modifications. Ours, so far...absolutely not.

That makes sense. Sorry for being confused. :) Fwiw, I think the girls at dd's gym could have easily done it with afternoon/evening training only if it was offered. I think they only go 20-24 hours a week on average. It's just that the head coaches/owners have young children and don't want to be at the gym every evening.

My dd does regular public school, and always has. She started gym at age 7. She is going into 11th grade and this will be her 4th season of L10 (made NIT 8th grade, and JOs last two years 9th/10th) and just committed D1 this past spring (Mid-ranked school). She did do morning practices before school when she was in 5th grade and doing TOPS, she went before school for an hour then she'd go to school and go to practice after. She was a level 8 then, and only did it two days a week for about 5 months. Now that she's in HS, she's up at 6, school 7:15 - 2:20, practice after at 3:30. Does homework after. Sleeps. Repeat, lol. She doesn't have a lot of time during the school year but she manages by getting a lot done in class and on off days, and by not procrastinating. She still find times for hobbies here and there. Our optionals only practice about 20 hrs a week during the school year which is helpful. She has managed to keep up but I never had the option to homeschool anyway so she (we) just got used to it. It's totally doable depending on the gym. We know four other girls in the past two years who have scholarships and done regular school. Rough estimate I'd say it's about 70/30 regular school/homeschool with the upper optionals we know...not unusual at all.

I'm truly curious.
yes plenty. Including some of my own kids.

Yes, our gym has had girls graduate with full scholarships to D1 schools while attending regular school with no accommodations. We practice 16-18 hours/week in the evenings and on weekends.

We have had girls get scholarships while graduating from public school. The schools around here are also notoriously inflexible about modifying schedules and developing workarounds for club athletes. My kids' gym does not produce the 8th graders who get letters of intent. It produces the ones who look good enough in 11th grade that colleges pick them up to fill out their rosters at the point where it's reality rather than potential.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back