Parents Opinions or Real Situations on Gymnastics in College

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yep. We don't even have daytime gym classes. As far as I know, all our high schoolers attend regular high school. They may have a free period (I really don't know, but that's open to everyone, not just gymnasts).
And these are full-ride D1 gymnasts.

To be quite honest, I really don't understand the "need" for so many gym families to home school, unless their athletes are seriously in the running for elite. I am not knocking the choice to homeschool in general, for personal reasons only (don't get me started how public school is lacking and has completely failed to evolve) but it has always been crazy to me to think that it would be considered rational just for a sport, even for successful athletes. It kind of drives me bonkers that some gyms have school programs built into their gyms and seem to encourage it. I KNOW gymnastics is "different" but it's possibly to be good without practicing more than a full time job. I don't think you see quite the same push in other sports, even in elite sports. Most other sports work around the reality that is public school. We are always making jokes about how people think our kids are going to the Olympics when they can do a BHS, but I think a lot of us buy into the idea a little more than we admit when our kids get started, and the culture seems to encourage it (at the same time telling us parents to stay out of it, lol).

Just because there isn't a homeschool program at the gym doesn't mean the girls all attend normal public school.
Possibly, but the gym is not open during the day. Opens at 3:30. I am sure some girls home school bit that would be for parents preference not gym preference.

Possibly, but the gym is not open during the day. Opens at 3:30. I am sure some girls home school bit that would be for parents preference not gym preference.
Again, that's presumptive. It may not be because of gym schedule but still because of gym. Training 20-30+ hours a week and still wanting a life of any sort leads some families to choose homeschooling who otherwise wouldn't. We've seen it personally. Is it for THE gym? No, but it is for gym in general.

Again, that's presumptive. It may not be because of gym schedule but still because of gym. Training 20-30+ hours a week and still wanting a life of any sort leads some families to choose homeschooling who otherwise wouldn't. We've seen it personally. Is it for THE gym? No, but it is for gym in general.
I really have no idea why you want to argue with me. I know the girls and family's at my DD's gym. I know their circumstances.

Furthermore you said the samething that I did parent or family preference. We have visited gyms that require level 8 and above to homeschool.

Sorry to hijack OP's thread.

Most gyms in our area expect that their upper level optionals home school, and I feel like this is largely driven by logistics. If they have the team start early during the day, they can fit in more rec classes in the evenings. Most often in this area, the gym's upper level optionals schedule is set to begin during regular school hours.

To be quite honest, I really don't understand the "need" for so many gym families to home school, unless their athletes are seriously in the running for elite. I am not knocking the choice to homeschool in general, for personal reasons only (don't get me started how public school is lacking and has completely failed to evolve) but it has always been crazy to me to think that it would be considered rational just for a sport, even for successful athletes. It kind of drives me bonkers that some gyms have school programs built into their gyms and seem to encourage it. I KNOW gymnastics is "different" but it's possibly to be good without practicing more than a full time job. I don't think you see quite the same push in other sports, even in elite sports. Most other sports work around the reality that is public school. We are always making jokes about how people think our kids are going to the Olympics when they can do a BHS, but I think a lot of us buy into the idea a little more than we admit when our kids get started, and the culture seems to encourage it (at the same time telling us parents to stay out of it, lol).

A club swim program and a club diving program (separate programs and locations) both have homeschool programs for their upper level athletes. Even DD's ballet school has a daytime program for their "pre-professional" dancers and, by looking at the schedule, I can tell that it would be impossible not to homeschool and meet the class requirements of the pre-professional program. My friend had her son in a homeschool program for a year because of his soccer team. But it sounds like that is pretty rare for that sport, his team traveled internationally.

When DD started elementary school, I was surprised to hear that so many children had modified schedules to accommodate various things outside of school (acting, modeling, dance, sports, music). But then again, my child also goes to a charter school so I probably live in a bubble.

Public school, level 10 and D1 is completely possible. We have several girls who have done just that and one was not level 10 until 11th grade. Now she was an amazing first year level 10. Our area was fairly void of homeschool programs for gymnastics, but we have seen a trend of more and more gyms implementing some homeschool options. Most offer extra morning hours in addition to the regular afternoon/evening practices.

We've always homeschooled so perhaps I'm not the best person to comment since my original intent was not gym related, but most upper level optionals at our gym do homeschool.

Homeschooling (or online public school) just makes life easier. Regardless of level or where you think the child could go in the sport, it's nice to have more flexibility for traveling, therapy appointments, allowing them to rest more when needed. Not to mention that they do their schooling with a great group of kids that are their best friends. All of the stress and drama from public school is eliminated. I can't imagine participating in this crazy sport while going to regular school. Kudos to anyone who can manage it.

You make some good points about gyms promoting/forcing homeschooling. In general, I think the "need" comes from the family's desire to have a somewhat normal family life. We have homeschooled from the beginning but it was for our family, not for sports. I will say though that being homeschooled allows our family the ability to eat meals together daily, spend time in the evening after practices are over, planning getaways during offpeak times, saving money and crowds.

I do think other sports are different in that most promote playing for their high school teams - That's how they are recruited. Gymnastics is not like that. Most other sports also do not require the amount of hours that gymnastics does, not year round either.

We are from a pretty much working class area
You make some good points about gyms promoting/forcing homeschooling. In general, I think the "need" comes from the family's desire to have a somewhat normal family life.

I do think other sports are different in that most promote playing for their high school teams - That's how they are recruited. Gymnastics is not like that. Most other sports also do not require the amount of hours that gymnastics does, not year round either.

Both good points, for sure. I hope it didn't come across judgy. I just don't like how it's pushed and parents feel like if they don't, their gymnast will never reach their goals. But you do make a point about high school sports. To me school is necessarily more important but equally so and it feels like some programs don't understand that.

Both good points, for sure. I hope it didn't come across judgy. I just don't like how it's pushed and parents feel like if they don't, their gymnast will never reach their goals. But you do make a point about high school sports. To me school is necessarily more important but equally so and it feels like some programs don't understand that.
Not at all judgemental. I knew where you were coming from when asking it. no worries. I agree. There has to be balance and often times the homeschool programs place more importance on the gym than on the schooling.

We are in a program that doesn't push it at all so I've never really seen that side of it. It's more just another option if you want it and isn't tied to being any special group for super talented kids like I'm sure some gyms try to make it out to be.

I think another part of why online/homeschool is so popular is that you can get such a great education in a non-traditional way in today's world. The opportunities for education have grown so rapidly and people like to have control over their child's education. The possibilities are endless. In contrast with your local public school you get what they offer and you have to live with it.

How many of you parents/coaches/whoever have seen girls that go all the way to level 10, and receive a gymnastics college scholarship WHILE going to regular public school. Meaning...not online courses, not modified schedules, but full on \, regular old-fashioned 830-330 public school.
I know the whole deal: Gotta be a STRONG level 8 by 6th grade, 5th grade preferably (poor little washed up 6th grade level 8s..please hear the sarcasm:rolleyes::p:D), level 9 by 6th, and a level 10 by ...well you've all seen it. And qualify for Easterns, Nationals...etc etc. I get all that.
But how many of these kids, percentage wise, do you all think or know that have done it while having a normal high school life? Not homeschool.
I'm truly curious.

I am entering my 12th season (6th at level 10) as a competitive gym mom, with multiple gymnasts in our family. Most of the girls I know who have received D1-full ride have been in brick and mortar "old-fashioned" school through most of their high school years. I have no idea about percentages... but yes, gymnasts can go to "regular public school" and still get full athletic scholarships. (I have never heard anything about being a STRONG level 8 by 5th or 6th grade being indicative of a future college scholarship....lol. In all my years in this sport I have seen many of the "winners" at level 8 quit before reaching level 9)

As a side note, I like that my daughter has multiple things that she does including school. It lessens the impact of peer pressure, clique stuff.

I find by her having different things and sets of friends it lessens the impact of a bad day, week time at any one place.

Gym particularly challenging. She has school and her other activity to prevent her from it being all bad.

Kids at school being pills, she has her gymmie friends and practice to keep her from dwelling on school.

No one place is her be all end all.

In fact it's a way to help, "bullyproof" them.

As a side note, I like that my daughter has multiple things that she does including school. It lessens the impact of peer pressure, clique stuff.

I find by her having different things and sets of friends it lessens the impact of a bad day, week time at any one place.

Gym particularly challenging. She has school and her other activity to prevent her from it being all bad.

Kids at school being pills, she has her gymmie friends and practice to keep her from dwelling on school.

Yep - so much this ^^^
My dd has school friends, gym friends and family friends. I think she stays out of a lot of drama because of this. If something is going poorly at school, she can escape to the gym and be around people that know nothing about it. If gym is rough, she's got family friends that are not part of that world and so they don't even talk about it. It really has been a great source of balance for her.

You do realize that kids who do online school can also feel good about school right? They don't have to go in a building to feel accomplished.

You do realize that kids who do online school can also feel good about school right? They don't have to go in a building to feel accomplished.
Because you got defensive about homeschooling. You missed the point. The point was having different sets of friends and spaces, school being just one of them, gym, another, there are also a couple of other things thrown in for my particular kid.

But it is about having more then just gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back