Parents Optionals skills question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Sam'sMom

Proud Parent
This is my DD'S 1st year in optionals. I've seen a lot about "A", "B", and "C" skills but haven't found anywhere that spells out what skill is in each group; is there such a place?

Sam'sMom -

Welcome to the crazy world of optional gymnastics!

For each of the optional levels, there are specific skill requirements and prohibited skills on each event. These skills are categorized by the letters you referenced. The skills are all documented in the JO Code of Points, which can be purchased from USAG. However, as an experienced gym parent, my advice to you is to leave this area to the gymnast and the coach. Honestly, what the skills are and what thier value is just isn't something for a parent to bother themselves with. We have enought to worry about being the support system and the provider of ice, ibuprofen and tape.

Good Luck.

While meet director is correct that you don't need to concern yourself with these values and let the coach/gymnast deal with them, There are many parents who like to be in the know - I am a very analytical person and I like knowing the value of skills, the requirements of routines. It makes my time at meets more enjoyable, knowing more about the sport. Not all parents are like this but some of us are.

You can find several sites that have examples of each - including the one posted above but be careful because the values can change year to year and the sites don't always keep up with the changes. Also, if you aren't careful, you may be looking at the FIG values which are often different than the JO values.

You can be REALLY anal retentive and purchase the JO optional code of points as a ebook. It's downloadable to your iPad and only $40. Then you will be full of knowledge. Or full of something, I don't know what , but something !

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back