WAG Options for summer training

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

F

Fliptwisttumble

I'm wondering what options are out there for summer training, while DD's gym is closed for summer break.

this year, she went to IGC for two weeks. She loved it, but thought the first week she wasn't placed correctly (put in a different group the second week which fit her better). I think she is looking for a more "intense" experience, if I could explain it that way - somewhere she would be pushed, learn from different sets of eyes, etc. to use a phrase I've seen here..... She's "all in".

She finds the three weeks our gym is closed too much, so asks to go to "camp". I'm wondering what other types of options might be available in the US (or here in Canada) than the typical commercial camps, where she could get that more "intense" type of experience.

any suggestions?

Thx.

Geddart's or Carter's camp are no BS camps while most of the commercial camps are. So you'll have to look for a camp like that.

Another option is to just go to another gym to train at and have her stay with family or go with her and rent a hotel room. That's basically what most campers who go to Carter's do. There are some evening events but it's mostly about serious training.

I had heard IGC is good but that is the problem about placement. I've seen some kids crushed when they got placed a level lower than they were in their gym.

Another option is to just go to another gym to train at and have her stay with family or go with her and rent a hotel room. That's basically what most campers who go to Carter's do. There are some evening events but it's mostly about serious training.
P

Oh, that's a nice idea. We need to have a "chalk bucket exchange program" or something! I know DD would think it was great fun to have someone from Canada come stay with us and go to gym with her. Not sure how you, as a parent, could monitor that to avoid putting your kid in a bad situation... set it up through a gym or something, but it's worth thinking about.

Thank you both. Great ideas. I had looked at Geddart's (driveable in a day), but until you get a recommendation, it's hard to know. Just looked at Carter's, and it looks great.

Mary, I Wouldn't quite be ready for an "exchange", I'm happy to travel with her. But certainly visiting a new gym would be a great experience. We don't have too much of that at our gym, other than a visiting team once or twice a year.

I had heard IGC is good but that is the problem about placement. I've seen some kids crushed when they got placed a level lower than they were in their gym.

she DID love it there, but they place based on floor and bars. For her, she is miles ahead on beam, and really wanted to work on things she wasn't able to touch that week. The second week, they didn't let her assess again, and placed her based on the first week. They obviously saw something in her, as she was placed higher, so it was a better fit. Still/overall it results with one out of two weeks of "goofing around" - her words not mine.

A little too expensive an experiment if even your 8 year old says they didn't get much accomplished. She loved it for the "camp" experience.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back