Parents Order in meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymmom826

Proud Parent
How is it determined what order the gymnasts go in at a meet? Does the coach decide or is it the meet director?

It is different here in the UK I know but just for your information.

Gymnasts compete on their first piece in the order they are entered on the entry by the coach. How the groups of gymnasts from different clubs are split and/or put together in each round is done by the competition organiser.
The gymnast up first then drops to the end of the group for the next piece. So first up on bars will be last up on beam.

Only time it is different here is for a team competition where the team manager decides what order gymnasts will compete on each piece. This usually has to be entered onto the judging system beforehand. This includes national finals where gymnasts are representing their region.

At all the meets we've been to, the coach decides.
Last year, the coach really did decide and they went the same order for every event, and rotated at each meet who went first (so first meet was Child A, B, C, D, E then next meet was B, C, D, E, A, and so on).
This year the coach lets the girls decide. There are only 4 of them so they each go first on one event, and they usually bargain it out between themselves.

Coach. Generally, they put the kid last that they think has the best scoring potential or who has the most experience. I have heard it is a tactic that infers to the judges that the scores should get higher as each member of the team competes.

I have no idea if it works, but I see coaches shuffling their score cards around for each event to shift the order!

It totally depends on the meet. Some meets it's decided for you, other meets we (coaches) get to decide. So much more goes into it other than "scoring potential" so try not to read too much into it from the parent side..! We can have girls that are anxious and need to go towards the beginning, we also like to put girls that are reliable and have a good chance of sticking their routine up front so the event starts off well for the group, etc. All sorts of stuff comes into play when we CAN set the order.

Most meets, coach. Big meets, like the one we are at now, order is printed on the rotation sheets. It tells you who goes first on each event and it goes down the list from there. My son has to start on Pbars today. He will go 4th on pommel, 3rd on rings, 2nd on vault 1st on pbars, 5th on high bar and 4th on floor in his rotation group. This was decided by the meet director.

I guess it really does depend on the meet/area.. I'm pretty sure all the meets dd has been to, the order is decided by the meet director. And the meets that she has been to, the order is determined prior to the session and is written in the program, so there is no changing it on the fly. And the same person doesn't go first on each event, but the order is the same. As a simple example if there are 8 gymnasts in a rotation and they start on beam than it will be like Beam: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H. Floor: C, D, E, F, G, H, A, B. Vault: E, F, G, H, A, B, C, D and Bars: G, H, A, B, C, D, E, F.

Just curious, are you sure the order is decided by the meet director or does the coach just have to submit the rotation a head of time??

Again, we have never been to a meet where the rotation was set prior to getting to the rotation.. Maybe it's a regional thing.

When we walk into a meet we are given Session sheets with rotations set.
We know the rotation order. So we know which gyms are where by the roster. Sometimes we don't even get a roster/rotation sheet. We do not know the order of the gymnasts. Our gym keeps the kids with the same bar/vault settings together. Then weakest to strongest per event. And the exact order may change based on how they have been practicing or even based on how warm up went. After warmup, they find out their order by event.

I have to say pretty much every meet we are at, no matter the gym. The best kids go last.

We know the rotation order. So we know which gyms are where by the roster. Sometimes we don't even get a roster/rotation sheet. We do not know the order of the gymnasts. Our gym keeps the kids with the same bar/vault settings together. Then weakest to strongest per event. And the exact order may change based on how they have been practicing or even based on how warm up went. After warmup, they find out their order by event.

I have to say pretty much every meet we are at, no matter the gym. The best kids go last.
What I meant is that we know the order of the gymnasts when we walk in the door.

What I meant is that we know the order of the gymnasts when we walk in the door.

Yes. this. It doesnt happen every meet. The smaller ones, coaches determine based on vault height/springs, pbar settings, etc. (for the boys). For this meet, that we are at now, each session, each flight, each rotation was predetermined by the meet organizers. Randomly. No specific order. Coaches did not have input. In some cases, the best kid is up first, others, in the middle, maybe even last. That is irrelevant. It is done completely randomly.

I am sure this is something that depends on the state. That is not how it is at the meets we have attended. We receive a sheet, usually weeks before the meet, but sometimes the day of the meet, with the names and the exact order they go in. I can not 100% say that the coaches don't have impact into the starting order on the first event, but like I said the starting gymnast changes but the order doesn't as they rotate the events, so I don't really see the advantage anyway.

I believe you that it is different where you are, but that is how it is at the 3 years of meets we have been to in our state.

We've been to both. More often the coach decides, but we went to states one year and it was my dd and kids from another team, she kept getting inserted somewhere in the middle of the other team (and it was different for each event).

For my level 2 kids, I never went worst to best, I always put a sold kid up first (someone guaranteed not to fall), followed by everyone pretty much randomly with input from kids who wanted to go earlier/later and then I would put the very best kid last. Not sure it ever mattered, but I had one kid who was really good and I didn't want the others to get stuck following her.

We just went to a meet that the meet director decided the order. That was my first experience with that situation. Outside of that, I know settings for vault and bars plays into our coaches setting the order. For floor and beam, our coaches have been allowing the girls decide. My DD is outscoring her teammates on beam this season (knock on wood I didn't just jinx that) and she chooses to go first on that event each time. I know when our team was lower level and much larger, they did tend to put solid girls at the beginning and very end of the rotation.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back