Parents Order in meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I believe you that it is different where you are, but that is how it is at the 3 years of meets we have been to in our state.

I wasn't saying any one else was wrong and I'm sure it is a regional thing as I said up thread.

I was just clarifying. We rarely get a meet program that has the rotations, much less the names of the gymnasts. Usually know where they are starting as they head to that event.

i have no clue! lol. this is dd's 3rd real year of competing and i swear it's different each year. she's lvl 6 this year and we have 12 girls on the team so we tend to be split up. the coach splits them according to vault settings and then after that, it's anyone's guess who goes when. when she was level 3, the best in each event went last. and it was like that last year. it's still like that a bit this year but not always.
in lvl 4 when they needed to be split, they put the strongest girls in one group. it was really obvious.

Our coaches determine the order the girls compete in at the majority of our meets, generally saving the routines that will likely score the best for last. At state championships, the order is determined randomly in advance.

At our meets the coach decides the order. Usually they put the girls weakest to strongest on a particular event. Today, though, they switched things up on floor and DD surprised us with a big score. :)
congrats to your dd!

The rotation is determined by the meet director. At state meets and above its determined by a draw. The gymnasts must go in the order on the sheet. In many meets, especially with the new iPad score pads, the rotation is entered into the electronic scorer. If the go out of order, they get a warning and it can result in a penalty (although I've never seen that happen). The only exception is bar settings, and that is for the time constraints. At state meets and above, even bar settings don't matter--they go in the order listed. In 14 years I've only attended 1 meet that used cards that the coaches arranged in the order they wanted for each event, then handed the cards to the judges. In 14 years, whether a small, 1-session meet in a local gym;, or a large multi-competition-floor, 3-day meet in a convention center--in several states and regions.

In 5 years of meets we have never not had cards. Interesting how fpdifferent things are

Sometimes the meet decides.
Sometimes the coaches decide. There are many ways in which they decide including equipment setting, height, skills, who is expected to have a solid routine, stay on the beam, etc.
Sometimes the gymnasts decided.
And sometimes it is completely random because the coaches don't want it to always be the same order and no one gets to control it at state meet, so they want to make girls get used to it being out of their control.

For us it is the meet director. But generally when a coach submits the list of names the meet director just types it in in the order the coach says, they don't know who the kids are and are just following a list.

At our meets there is the same order fo all apparatus, but the first apparatus goes Dow. The list, then the 2nd apparatus starts from the second person on the list so the person who went first on the first apparatus gets to go last. Then the 3rd apparatus goes from the 3rd person and so on.

It sounds like things can really vary from meet to meet depending on the host, the state, etc.

There have been times our coaches have asked who wanted to go first, etc. and other times where an order was already set.

Yes. this. It doesnt happen every meet. The smaller ones, coaches determine based on vault height/springs, pbar settings, etc. (for the boys). For this meet, that we are at now, each session, each flight, each rotation was predetermined by the meet organizers. Randomly. No specific order. Coaches did not have input. In some cases, the best kid is up first, others, in the middle, maybe even last. That is irrelevant. It is done completely randomly.

At some meets the judges will let the coaches change the order at the beginning of a rotation. For bars and vault the order may depend on equipment settings, so that they can minimize the number of times the equipment has to be changed. Also, what SurpriseGymMom said. Falls can be contagious, especially with the younger kids. So some coaches like to put some of their stronger gymnasts first.

This is all very meet-dependent.

Tinker Bell's coaches set the order on each event and usually get to determine the groupings as well (they are typically split into two squads). This year they have been doing an "A" group and a "B" group. They line the kids up by expected score, from lowest to highest, based on how they've been doing in practice leading up to the meet. Even with electronic scoring, I always see the coaches shuffling scorecards and handing them to the judges before each rotation.

I am somewhat skeptical as to how much the order helps the kids later in the rotation score higher. The relative scores often don't correspond that closely to the order, especially for the girls who are close in ability. Sometimes I think Tink has benefited from being early in the lineup because the judges are surprised to see a strong routine after several weaker ones, and at other times I've thought being late in the lineup might have hurt her because the other girls' perfect straight legs at the end of the lineup make her knees look even more bent.

California - Invitationals coaches set competition order, using cards handed to judges in order(most meets now have the iPads with gymnasts listed in an order but don't have to go by that, just enter gymnast number and score as they compete). State championships have random order set by draw, so no cards needed, go by order listed in iPad scoring system or paper rotation schedule list if using older scoring system. Gymnasts must compete in that order.

This is my daughter's first year, level 3, and every meet the coaches have slips of paper or cards with the kids names on them that they put into order before each event, then hand to the judges. I don't personally know the rhyme or reason of how they put them in order, but I'm sure it's intentional.

One reason coaches sometimes go in order of weakest to strongest, or something similar is because, theoretically, a judge isn't going to start a rotation off with a stellar high score, because...what if someone does a better routine? Where do you go now? Obviously, the scores should be based on just what a judge observes, but it makes sense that they would be more conservative at the start.
This was from my experience as a gymnast and from what our coach told us.

All that being said, at my kids' meets, I have only seen cards and the coach puts them in the order he/she wants and hands them to the judge. These are lower level meets.

One reason coaches sometimes go in order of weakest to strongest, or something similar is because, theoretically, a judge isn't going to start a rotation off with a stellar high score, because...what if someone does a better routine? Where do you go now? Obviously, the scores should be based on just what a judge observes, but it makes sense that they would be more conservative at the start.
This was from my experience as a gymnast and from what our coach told us.

All that being said, at my kids' meets, I have only seen cards and the coach puts them in the order he/she wants and hands them to the judge. These are lower level meets.

Judges judge what they see, there's no "room" left, this isn't ice skating. [emoji6] Last year the first vault at level 3 state was amazing, she got a 9.8, and she won the event.

I've only ever seen cards at one meet. We use rotation sheets and we must follow them, even at the smallest meets.

Every meet my DD has done has had rotation sheets with the order assigned. (Level 8 in Fl). And since I do a lot of the meet entries, I know the coach doesn't get to decide the line up.

Now they have been known to switch the lineup on certain events, depending on settings I guess. You have to pay attention because it's easy to miss your kid when you think she follows Susie the whole meet and then goes first!

Judges judge what they see, there's no "room" left, this isn't ice skating. [emoji6] Last year the first vault at level 3 state was amazing, she got a 9.8, and she won the event.

I've only ever seen cards at one meet. We use rotation sheets and we must follow them, even at the smallest meets.

Many deductions are subjective. 'Up to' .3 deduction, stuff like that. I think it makes sense for a judge to give a more conservative score towards the start.
If the 'worst girl' on the team gets an 8.0, then theoretically the better girls HAVE to score higher (assuming everyone performs exactly as expected, and we all know often that happens[emoji849])
So if a judge is 'kind' and gives girl number one a 9.0, then she has to squeeze a lot of girls into that last point.

Many deductions are subjective. 'Up to' .3 deduction, stuff like that. I think it makes sense for a judge to give a more conservative score towards the start.
If the 'worst girl' on the team gets an 8.0, then theoretically the better girls HAVE to score higher (assuming everyone performs exactly as expected, and we all know often that happens[emoji849])
So if a judge is 'kind' and gives girl number one a 9.0, then she has to squeeze a lot of girls into that last point.
Yes - I have been a volunteer at a meet at a judges table and witnessed just this: judges liked a routine, took a note of the score and when another great routine was performed later in the session, they discussed which one was better and made sure the one they liked best had the higher score. The subjectivity in this sport drives me batty sometimes!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back