Osgood-Schlatter disease

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Sometimes the pain is not bad to work with, but other times I just want to drop on the floor and never get up again!

In the past I have used bio-tape but it only seemed to help my right knee. I would like to know if there are any exercises for me to do that will possibly help my pain.

1) You SHOULD never continue on if the pain is that bad. Your coach should not allow you to.

2) For Osgoods you need to strengthen your Quads...your thigh muscles to help support the knee

I feel for you, but there isn't a whole lot you can do.

Osgood's has nothing to do with gymnastics...it's a physiological thing (and a girl "thing" to some degree as well).

Gymnastics is one of the main sports that encourages Osgoods, and also it is more common in boys or people with rapid skeletal growth.
The pounding or jumping motion is what contributes to it. The pull of the Quadricep group of muscles can place tension on the Patellar tendon that connects the knee to the tibia. The Tendon may begin to pull away from the raised area on the tibia (just below knee cap), where it attaches at the Tibial Tuberosity, resulting in pain and swelling.

For treatment:

• It normally gets better without formal treatment - by REST

• All exercise should stop to allow the healing process to take place. Except swimming

• Non steroidal anti inflammatories can be taken to give relief from pain and reduce local inflammation around the knee (don't know what the names are of the anti inflams in the States!)

• Apply ice on the area for 20 minutes every 2 - 4 hours, so aim for 3 times a day.

• As said above, if you must continue to train, ice before and after training is essential

• Bathe in Epsom salts

• A knee immobilizer for a few days may help with improvement in more severe cases. Also pads and strapping can be used for support

• Activities that place repeated stress on the top of the tibia where the Patellar Tendon inserts.

If anyone would like any mor einformation please feel free to get in touch with me. I'm a qualified sports injury therapist, coach and have suffered from Osgoods myself.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back