Other than physical ....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

cher062

The "Making Daughter Quit..." thread really had me going back through some of the documents I have obtained over the years and it got me thinking about all the benifits besides physical ones or "being the winnner" or "showing improvement" etc that come with gymnastics that make it worth it for my children.

This was from somthing given to me by a gym when my kids were young that I still think is very true today. So what other benifits do you see in your child that they obtain from being part of the gymnastic community?

NON-PHYSICAL BENENFITS:

School – yes school!

Recent studies suggest physical activity helps to build connections in the brain. Gymnastics is a sport that requires focus, concentration, an understanding of the skill being attempted, body-awareness, and a variety of other thinking processes. Gymnasts are not just exercising their bodies – they are exercising their minds!

Focus, discipline, determination, and problem-solving are all part of the gymnastics experience, and each of these skills are incredibly useful in a classroom setting as well.

Many of our gymnasts are straight A students, even with the sometimes lengthy hours they spend in the gym. The lessons learned at the gym serve them well.

Social Benefits:

In addition to learning to practice and work with others in the gym, gymnasts also learn how to encourage each other. From the pre-schooler learning to take turns, receive and follow instructions from someone who is ‘not the Mommy’, and follow a simple series of steps, to the competitive gymnast who is learning how to practice good sportsmanship, learn from his or her own mistakes and triumphs as well as those of other members of the team, encourage team members, and work with teammates even and especially when the going gets tough… social lessons are everywhere in the gym! Each of these lessons translates to the world in general and gives our children skills that will serve them well as they grow into responsible, successful adults.

Confidence:

Nothing builds confidence quite like wondering if we can do something, and finding out we can. The harder we work for it, the more meaningful and lasting the feeling of success. Gymnastics offers repeated opportunities to succeed at a higher and higher level, constantly challenging the athlete, and constantly rewarding those who rise to the challenge. With coaches dedicated to assisting your child in facing each challenge as it comes,
we are in the confidence-building business!

Reduced Risky Behavior:

Fact is, gymnasts are busy! They just don't have time to spend too many hours in front of the TV, computer, or video games, or to allow boredom to dictate their decision-making. Not only that, physically active kids are far less likely to use tobacco, alcohol, or other drugs. Having a positive, constructive outlet for their energies helps children greatly in making the right choices at the right times to achieve the dreams and goals they hold for themselves.

Character:

You may have noticed the Character signs around the gym, and the motivational posters. They are more than decoration. Character education is part of every class. At every age, we emphasize responsibility, caring,
respect, trustworthiness, citizenship, and fairness. We also teach children how to work hard, and how wonderful the reward is for it.

We show them how to pick themselves up when they fall, and teach them that their very best effort is its own reward. Children learn that perfectionism can bring them to a frozen stand-still, but a willingness and eagerness to learn and try their hardest will take them farther than they ever imagined. We show children dreams are more than the stuff of Disney – they are real and possible when you conceive them, and then have the willingness to work for them. We teach them that we do not achieve anything alone, but with the input, support, and love of others. In short, yes we are in the business of building healthy bodies, and excellent gymnasts… but we are also very much in the business of building strong, healthy, confident, people with amazing tools to carry them wherever they choose to go in life. What greater benefit could there possibly be?

Close your eyes Dunno, and this I guess counts as physical, but delayed puberty! I'm hoping now my daughter won't be one of those girls entering puberty before she enters middle school!

cher062, this is a great thread idea!

I think the biggest thing gymnastics has given me is a sense of absolute passion and pride in who I am. It's always the highlight of my week, and I love being a part of something I can be proud of. The satisfaction of finishing a brutal conditioning session, the euphoria of finally conquering a fear, the look of respect when people find out I'm a gymnast, the knowledge that I can push myself mentally and physically, and the sense of being strong, confident and (at the risk of sounding like a cliche) so empowered by what I do is unparalleled in anything that I've done.

Someone somewhere said 'Passion takes your heart, and makes it fly' and that's what gymnastics feels like to me.

That could just be the endorphins and the chalk addiction speaking though ;)

Close your eyes Dunno, and this I guess counts as physical, but delayed puberty! I'm hoping now my daughter won't be one of those girls entering puberty before she enters middle school!

Middle school? I'm shooting for 18. I don't think it's too much to ask that all this gymnastics delays puberty until my daughter is 18. MAYBE by then, I'll be ready. Maybe.

I love this thread! My DD has gained alot from gymnastics, especially confidence. Even if she only competes for a very short time, what she gains from this sport will be well worth the price we have paid.

It's the "Reduced Risky Behavior" that I really see as a tremendous benefit. I remember when Pickle was 6 and just starting on team and the financial/time commitment seemed so great to me. But then I'd look around at the high school girls on team and think "I'd love it if she turned out like this."

Sure, it's expensive, but so is unplanned teenaged pregnancy, drug addiction, and dropping out of school. I'm not saying that those things would occur without gymnastics, but I do see our support of her gymnastics career as an investment against risky behaviors.

And she's having fun.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back