WAG Our first team competition

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymisforeveryone

Coach
Judge
I'm heading to a big meet this weekend and it will be my gymnasts' first team competition experience. I'm a little nervous since I know that the other clubs have much stronger teams and their gymnasts have way more experience on this field, but I'm also very excited. We chose our 5 strongest level C girls from our club and they all happen to be my gymnasts. We need to select 4 gymnasts for every event and the best 3 routines count in the team competition.

The girls have done very well at practice, they stay on the beam 90 % of the time and hit other events most of the time. The hardest parts are the high bar kip, front handsprings on the floor, beam cartwheel to straight jump dismount and the vault steps - when they are nervous they usually mess up their vault steps or don't run fast enough when they worry about their steps and ugly vaults happen OFTEN. I think that the vault is our worst event.

I just wanted to share my own little panic attack :oops::D I think that my girls will be just fine and I'm more nervous than they are. I have tried to make sure that they don't have too high expectations since I know that they won't be that competitive when most of their competitors practice twice as much as they do. I just wish that they will hit their routines and not get deducted to death.

We have to start from somewhere I guess. Wish us luck! I'll spend Friday and Saturday judging optionals and my girls will have their go on Sunday. So it will be a long weekend :confused:

It's gonna go great! Of course since it's their first team competition there will be a lot of weirdness and nerves, but it's all part of the experience. It should be exciting to compete, regardless of the placements! Like you said, since it's their first team competition, there's no need to focus on placements - just having fun and making sure they do the best they can!

Good luck to your girls! I hope they all enjoy the experience and do their best.

Yay, we are home now! It was a super fun weekend and it started by team bronze in the level F competition and we were all so surprised and happy! The optionals did so well!

Our competition was yesterday and even if the girls were nervous they managed to do very well. We started on beam and we were the first team to go so it couldn't have been worse but all the girls did stay on the beam!! However, our third gymnasts had a serious black out on the beam, she did her first skill (a leap) and then FROZE. She stood there, covered her face horrified and then watched us (we stood pretty far from the beam behind her back) and she couldn't remember the next skill. I realized that I have to step in and tell her the next skill but I was so bummed that it took me at least 3 seconds to remember the next skill :confused: BUT when I finally remembered and yelled the skill to her she continued and did rest of the skills perfectly, like never before! She didn't remember her choreography AT ALL but thank God she did all the important skills. After she finished she ran to me and cried like crazy, she's a perfectionist that has started her competitive career this fall so it was only her third competition ever (she scored out of the level B and won that competition and then competed once in level C). I tried to comfort her for a while and then I said that it's time to stop crying and cheer for the others. She still had her score in 8s which is considered a very good score in here (we have harsher deductions here).

The other events went very well! Two 9s on the vault and all! And the bars was great also, 3/4 did their best routines ever!

I was super happy afterwards and the girls seemed to have a good time together, competing in a big meet and they even had a chance to watch the national team competitions in the highest levels on Saturday.

We ended up placing 11th which was better than I expected! There were still 4 team behind us.

Thanks for the likes and comments! :)

Yay! You guys did it and did great! First one is always the hardest. I think I held my breath the whole time. :)

congrats! that's great. i've never heard of team competitions before so this is new to me. can someone explain this to me and what part of the country it's done in? or are the competitions all over and the coaches can opt to do them. i don't think we have them in MA

congrats! that's great. i've never heard of team competitions before so this is new to me. can someone explain this to me and what part of the country it's done in? or are the competitions all over and the coaches can opt to do them. i don't think we have them in MA

@gymisforeveryone is in Finland, so a bit far to travel for you lol

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back