Parents Our L5 "Flu" meet report

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Blackie6

Proud Parent
DD came out of gym practice last Sat with a 102 temp that only got worse on Sunday. Wasn't too nervous since my boys had been sick the week before, until it hit almost 104. I ran her to my work (walk-in medical center) and she was seen and came up Flu A positive. So, it could have been just seasonal Flu or Swine, we have no idea. She was put on the Tamiflu which made her throw up first couple doses and was out of gym/school for the entire week! She was entered in a cute PJ themed meet today and we had told coach that were wouldn't be going, but she was feeling well enough (only really tired and still has a little cough) to go to practice a little Friday and Sat and coach said if she was up to it she might as well go. Scores didn't matter today, she is already qualified for States. So, off we go today...

Meet is an hour down South so we get up at 6:30am to leave at 7am. Up to now we have been spoiled! As a L5 we have not had to do an early meet yet like in our L4 years, and it's been nice since we are not morning people. DD is used to the sick schedule and sleeping in til 10:30am so she is already drowsy in the car. I put on the 24 hr Christmas music radio channel to get her going. Just us two, DH had to work and boys stayed home, they are not gymnastics fans. Almost run out of gas on the way down and since we are late I wasn't stopping & praying I had enough $$ for admission fee. So DD is in her PJ's and girls made cute little turkeys at last practice that are pipe cleaner attached to flip flops & really adorable to wear as they march in.

First up was floor. Was doing much better at last meet, but with being out of gym for a week there hasn;t been enough stretching, leaps and split jumps are not great and again she forgot something towards the very end of routine. Looked sloppy and got scored low 7.6

Next was bars and again she was really not full strength today and it showed, just not tight and kips didn't look as good, but scored 8.45

Vault is always "ify" but she has been doing better lately. Chalk this up to the lack of practice and confidence for a 8.2

Beam was last and right in front of parent section. History is for DD the closer the apparatus the more distraction. I got up and walked behind bleachers so she wouldn't see me. Team girls rock this event and posted some nice scores. Up til now, all scores pretty low all around for our team. We seem to be up against one really good gym at every meet we've gone to this season and saw 9's for all of them all day so it was nice to see some good scores for the whole team finally. DD had really good routine, held a handstand for so long we all thought she was going to fall over, but couple bobbles and wobbles for a 8.65 which compared to her L4 years just blows me away.

So, nothing spectacular, but proud of her doing her best when she wasn't feeling 100% and still finding some moments to WOW me! Team got 3rd place!

We are passing on the #2 sectional so next meet is not until the week before Christmas, yeah!

V 8.2
UB 8.45 (8th place)
BB 8.65(just missed place, boohoo)
FX 7.6
AA 32.90 (11th)

Nice meet for being sick and out of practice for the entire week! But, if it was me, I would have just skipped this meet :rolleyes:. If your dd was already qualified for States and scores didn't matter for this meet then why even bother doing the meet? Sounds like some R & R would have been better for her. And since she hadn't practiced the whole previous week due to illness, why would the coaches even allow her to compete??? That's great that she did well (for being sick), but I often wonder if it is really worth it, ya know?? I don't know--maybe it is just me.

Last edited:
I would have loved to skip it actually, and had already given the "no" but it was a fun meet and oferred some team bonding time which she needs. They spent practice yesterday making their special flip flops together & she would have gone anyway to support them if she didn't compete. Some of the girls just got their kips and were competing all 4 events this time & she was excited for them & a L6 was with them competing to score out. As you know we changed gyms with 5 other girls 4 months ago and it seems like there is a slight divison of "us" & "them" which I think as the season goes on it is turning into "our team" but it hasn't been easy to be the new girls! When you come into a gym bringing an entire team, not everyone has open arms if you know what I mean. With each meet though there is more sense of belonging for all, parents and girls. This was a fun meet, so once the pressure/stess of scores was taken out they could be more at ease with each other and just cheer each other and be supportive. And, in the stands we are all still trying to get to know each other too & whose daughter belongs to which parents too! She's going off to school tomorrow and once she is doing BHS in the house it is time to go back to the gym, LOL

Yeah--I hear ya on the team bonding--Dani's team is really close like sisters and sometimes I think that is the most fun part about gym for Dani. I reread your first post and didn't realize that she actually did start feeling better and did attend some practices. With all this swine flu going around I am a little wary of people who are sick ya know? LOL. I was annoyed at one gym parent that brought her sick kid (she had a fever of 100+) to a halloween party at the gym. There was a sign on the door that said "Please do not bring your kids in the gym if they have a fever".

I am glad that she is fitting in nicely at her new gym--that is so awesome! Two more weeks until Dani has her first meet--it feels like she hasn't competed in like forever!!!

Actually, I work in a dr's office so I called the gym right away Monday morning with info on symptoms, warnings, ect.. to inform all parents of the girls my DD practices with. And, I called all friends who DD was in contact with 72 hrs before fever to warn them as well. DD slept over BFF's house Friday night before and I told mom to call her Ped to check on preventative Tamiflu since she has resp problems. I notified the school w/the positive so they would also be aware & spoke to teacher. I am the complete opposite, I am very proactive, I would never send sick child anywhere & had I known she was even about to be sick she would not have been at gym last Sat, but it just came on so suddenly we had no warning.

And yes, with each meet we do feel like we are starting to fit in. I think I have finally met all parents too. The L5 team is big and has two practice groups so I was having trouble figuring out who was who. I think it's been hard because there was such a big group of us & they felt a little teritorial?? Not meaning this in a bad way really, but when you are at a gym for awhile you feel like it's yours and you get used to a certain group of parents and kids and then there is a swarm....of new girls and new parents...and I think it was a little overwhelming to some at first. It made their team alot bigger and many probably felt their DD's were getting less coaching because of it. But I think they see that we are just like them, parents of girls who want to do gymnastics, pretty laid back, no drama mama's and they have plenty of coaching and know how to handle all of them nicely! And, like I said, the meet wasn't about the score today, it was about winning friendships and being a teamate, showing support and having fun. She was very excited for teamates getting the kip finally. And, it was nice to not have any worries for once...

Dani has her first meet--it feels like she hasn't competed in like forever!!!

Oh, she must be so excited! It sure does feel like forever sometimes between seasons. We were supposed to have started in Dec or Jan but our season changed and we started a little earlier. I'll be glad when it is all done in Jan now. DD is going to repeat most likely so we are looking forward to learning some new stuff and refining the old.

Good Luck to Dani on her season & looking forword to reading everyone else's meet reports when we are done, LOL

She did great considering she has been sick, out of the gym and is still probably recovering, most take awhile it seems. Glad she had a good meet! Isn't it funny how sometimes their worst event becomes their best. LOL. :D

Glad you guys are liking the new gym and that you are feeling more like it is your family! That is a good thing. :) I still don't feel the same way I did at Abby's old gym, but wouldn't trade it for anything. We have some great parents and her coaches are great. I guess it is hard sometimes coming in on already made friendships. A few are really nice to me and I feel comfortable, so I am not complaining, just not like I was used to.

Dani has her first meet--it feels like she hasn't competed in like forever!!!

Oh, she must be so excited! It sure does feel like forever sometimes between seasons. We were supposed to have started in Dec or Jan but our season changed and we started a little earlier. I'll be glad when it is all done in Jan now. DD is going to repeat most likely so we are looking forward to learning some new stuff and refining the old.

Good Luck to Dani on her season & looking forword to reading everyone else's meet reports when we are done, LOL

Thanks for the good luck wishes! Our season seems so long because we don't compete until December and it runs all the way through the end of May. We compete about once a month so there is quite a while in between meets. I guess that is good in a way so that the kids have some time to really fix things or change routines if need be.

Sounds like a fun meet and like you said a good bonding experience - who cares about the scores... she's just coming back from the flu, she'll get 'em next time! ;)

Glad she was feeling well enough to be part of her team and enjoy the bonding. Having already qualified for states must really take the pressure off. She had a great showing for missing practice most of the week.

I'm glad to hear she did so well, even with being out sick for a week. Just be sure she takes it easy and doesn't end up getting sick again. It happened to a Level 5 in our gym. She was out for a week with H1N1, came back for a week and was then out another week with pneumonia. Scary stuff! Congrats to her and her team!

wow:) She is a trooper and I am so proud of her for sticking out a meet right after getting well enough to compete from the flu. She did fantastic Blackie:)
You should be beaming with joy as always.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back