Parents Out of state meets?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Thanks for the kind words gymjournymom. That meet was back in March. It was our third meet and really set the tone for the rest of the season. I thought it was a great experience for all the team girls. I can certainly understand the comments from the other parents who have multiple out of state meets. Personally, I find that our one out of state meet is enough, but if there were more, we would be there. it was great to compete against teams that we otherwise would not have been able to. We seem to face many of the same teams every competition in state. This one was especially interesting considering the international mix of the different teams that attended. http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/members/gymjourneymom.html

In our gym the L4's and L5's only travel within the state of NJ or within radius of 2 hrs. We traveled last year (and on schedule for this year too) into NY, but it was really not a far trip for us and right over the border. Nice meet, very big and different than the little ones closer to home. We may be joining some of our upper level teams this year at an away meet in MD, not 100%, but only about 3 hrs from home. Rest of our meets have really been very close or about an hour. I believe our upper levels 7-10 pretty much compete within state, go within about 3-4 hrs radius, and have one big travel meet. Last year it was the Hard Rock. I have not heard of any pressure from coaches on those that can't go and I agree with all who said it is a family thing. Should my DD ever make it that far in her gymnastics career, we would probably only go if we could do it together like a family vacation.

I do think we are very lucky in that our state offers a huge selection of invitational meets and NJ is so small we can pretty much make anything in state & within 2 hrs, LOL

Hi Blackie6, We are on the east coast too. Yes, we are lucky, there are a plethora of meets within driving distance...NJ,DE,PA,NY,MD even VA & WVA. With plenty of varied, different & REALLY GOOD competition. That is exactly my beef with flying to meets. With ALL of these options within driving distance...I don't feel LEVEL 7's really need to FLY to meets across the country(I'm talking TX here) 3-4 times in one season. Especially, knowing the state of the economy & how many people are out of work right now. My DD's & I would rather donate $ to hurricane victims & others in need. Blowing mega bucks to fly to multiple meets, when there are so MANY drivable meets available to us?!? This just isn't the lesson I want to teach my girls. That's also why I'm so impressed by Teamdad's DD winning a team spirit award. She will use that positive attitude in more areas of her life than just gymnastics:D Gymnastics is much more than just mastering tricks & showing them off(although that part is fun to watch;)). There are many life lessons to learn along the way...for all of us. Good luck to your DD this season Blackie6.:)

I can't believe they are asking families to fly cross country for meets .I find it insane there is no way I could do that.Our girls stay in state there plenty of meets in Fl the futherst meet for the opt. girls is 7hrs away but still in fl.exept reg.&nat. of course. The comp.schedule meets are usually 1&2 hr usaully 1 that is 3-4hr.

I wonder what the environmental impact of all this driving and flying to away gym meets is?:p Perhaps you lot are all causing global warming one meet at a time.:eek::D

I wonder what the environmental impact of all this driving and flying to away gym meets is?:p Perhaps you lot are all causing global warming one meet at a time.:eek::D

:laughing::laughing::laughing::rotfl::rotfl:

In our area there are so many meets, the coaches probably don't know which ones to choose! Sometimes we see the same gyms but usually not more than maybe twice.

Last year our optionals and boys team traveled to the Jazz Invite in New Orleans. After they extended the deadline to enter, our gym then asked if any of the compulsary girls wanted to go, not required. Let me make a disclaimer here. My son plays select soccer and does some travel so we thought this meet would her travel time.

She was the only level 4 from our gym to compete and there were a few level 6's. Everyone had a blast and did well. It was a great experience for her. I can say for certainty that the likelyhood of me taking her to New Orleans on a vacation wouldn't have happened. She got to see things and experience things she wouldn't have otherwise. If any of you live in the south and New Orleans is somewhat close, I would recommend this meet. The gym owners are great and it was a very well run meet!!

If our gym has another out of state/town meet this year, we will definately consider it!

At our gym only levels 8-10 attend meets that are out of state. Some of these do require flying, but most are within our region. L7 usually attends one out of state meet toward the end of the season, but it's in a neighboring state less than 3 hrs away. Compulsory meets are in state. There is a lot to choose from in our state, including many bigger meets that out of state clubs attend.

Normally we have done 1 Fly away meet.. This year we are not doing any Fly away meets but we are doing 3 'traveling meets'. We are doing 4 instate meets and 3 Regional meets. Travel time is 5 - 7 hours each.

We live in a tough judged state. This year we hope to raise some morale by going out of state for a few meets.

Most of these meets are for both compulsary & optional gymnasts.

Our compulsory levels don't go out of state, the optionals have at least 1 I think.

NONE of our meets at compulsory level are mandatory. Not sure about optionals. For us, just paying for gymnastics and local meets is a struggle, so I can't imagine having to pay for out of town meets.

Interesting how many do out of state meets, especially at the compulsory levels. I agree that for optionals it is necessary, but why make things so expensive at the lower levels? Yikes.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back