Parents Overplayed floor music

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mamaplum

Proud Parent
Yes yes yes I know asked in different way way a million times but when I searched I didn’t see any current threads.

Our first time picking. What songs are seriously overplayed? My daughters first choice is a piano version of Chandelier.

I'm hearing a little less of the Crystallize/Lindsey Sterling stuff this past season, but there is still a lot of it out there.

And if you're looking at pop music, a wise coach once told us to keep in mind that your typical WAG JO judge is in her 40s or 50s, so . . . .

https://spinditty.com/playlists/Top-100-Songs-of-the-80s

https://spinditty.com/playlists/Top-100-Songs-of-the-90s

Edited one more time to add: why haven't I ever seen a floor routine to Wake Me Up Before You Go Go? How fun that would be for the right gymnast!

Last edited:
Optional Music is way in the future for me but personally I am dreaming of something from the Harry Potter scores. I dont know how much say our Optional girls have with music so fingers crossed o_O:D

I'm hearing a little less of the Crystallize/Lindsey Sterling stuff this past season, but there is still a lot of it out there.

And if you're looking at pop music, a wise coach once told us to keep in mind that your typical WAG JO judge is in her 40s or 50s, so . . . .

https://spinditty.com/playlists/Top-100-Songs-of-the-80s

https://spinditty.com/playlists/Top-100-Songs-of-the-90s

Edited one more time to add: why haven't I ever seen a floor routine to Wake Me Up Before You Go Go? How fun that would be for the right gymnast!

Oh she likes some oldies i listen to so this could be cute!! Will keep in mind

Yes yes yes I know asked in different way way a million times but when I searched I didn’t see any current threads.

Our first time picking. What songs are seriously overplayed? My daughters first choice is a piano version of Chandelier.
After sitting through 3 days of optionals floor music - may I suggest nothing with high pitched violin or Elevator music versions of pop songs

Optional Music is way in the future for me but personally I am dreaming of something from the Harry Potter scores. I dont know how much say our Optional girls have with music so fingers crossed o_O:D

I heard Hedwigs Theme more than once. I think it’s a popular choice- but I love it too! My kid would love to have HP floor music!

oh man @profmom that 80's top 100 takes me back! If I could get my dd to do a routine to Walk Like an Egyptian, then my life will come full circle. All those hours of rounding the roller skating rink to that song will not be in vain! :p

edit to add: or anything by Tifani. I wonder if her coaches would let me choreograph?? :D I had pretty awesome routines made up to her songs back in the day.

oh man @profmom that 80's top 100 takes me back! If I could get my dd to do a routine to Walk Like an Egyptian, then my life will come full circle. All those hours of rounding the roller skating rink to that song will not be in vain! :p

edit to add: or anything by Tifani. I wonder if her coaches would let me choreograph?? :D I had pretty awesome routines made up to her songs back in the day.

I have very vivid memories of choreographing dance moves to ‘I think we’re alone now’ with my friends in elementary school :rolleyes:

Lindsay Stirling has some gorgeous pieces but is VERY popular! Then again, I'm using Heart of Courage which is a pretty popular one this year so.... :p

My mom wears hearing aids and the Lindsey Stirling music and some other dub step makes them emit a high pitched noise. She has to turn them off when she comes to a meet. I always hear Harry Potter and Alice in Wonderland.

Overused: Pink Panther, Adams Family, there's one this year with breaking glass and someone breathing heavy--DON'T use it! I heard it about 30 times at the Regional Championship, once even back-to-back! There's another one--Bom! Bom!?--just say no. Heard it the other 30 times I didn't hear the 1st one.

And for first timers —what are some good places to look for floor music?
For ideas, you can look on You Tube... just search gymnastics floor music.
I only suggest that way because the floor music sites have talking over the music so you can't "steal" it. It makes it hard to hear some of it sometimes.
Once you have an idea of what you want, then you can go to a floor music site or other avenue to find exactly what you want. you can even buy a full length instrumental version of a song and have someone cut it to create a custom piece ;)

Do your gyms let you/your child choose the music on your own or do they have a pared down list for you to choose from? What sort of stuff have you seen younger girls use (8/9 year old)?

My DD keeps looking at music and keeps going to modern pop girl power stuff like Katy Perry Rise, Rachel Platten Fight Song, etc. but I'm not convinced the coaches will approve them because she's really young and little (and can't dance!)... She doesn't like cutesy stuff but it would definitely "fit" better!

DD's coach doesn' t usually offer much of a choice of music. SHe feels in touch with the girls and picks something that she believes will suit them. She does ask for things the girls would like in their routine.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back