Parents Overplayed floor music

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Do your gyms let you/your child choose the music on your own or do they have a pared down list for you to choose from? What sort of stuff have you seen younger girls use (8/9 year old)?

My dd's group just went through the process of choosing floor music for level 7. At her gym (or at least with her group at her gym), they were told to make a list of several songs they liked. Then the coaches would narrow it down and eliminate any they were not okay with. Of the options left, the girls were allowed to choose a couple of favorites and then the coaches made the final choice. We don't have any 8/9 year olds in her group, so I can't help with that. But I do know that her coaches did not want any pop songs like Fight Song. They also vetoed any songs that were already being used by any other level at the gym including any from the Xcel teams.

Do your gyms let you/your child choose the music on your own or do they have a pared down list for you to choose from? What sort of stuff have you seen younger girls use (8/9 year old)?

Coach gets final say, but that is often just in length of the music... and girls can't have the same music as another girl on team (MAJOR drama the first year with the high school team and 3 girls wanted similar music), so when you pick a music, they let HC know and then they let me know (or vice versa, lol - if HC doesnt know yet, I tell them to let her know).
We only have one 9 year old going into level 6. She chose "Poppy" and it is 55 seconds.
Most of our Optionals (Xcel Gold and Platinum and L6-8/9 and High School Team and Junior High Team) are at least 11 with the occasional 10 year old in Xcel Gold.

For our gymnasts that LOOK younger, we try to steer them towards Disney music or, for example, at 10 years old, YG did "Jump in the Line" aka "Shake Señora" and it could have been really cute.

Coach gets final say, but that is often just in length of the music... and girls can't have the same music as another girl on team (MAJOR drama the first year with the high school team and 3 girls wanted similar music), so when you pick a music, they let HC know and then they let me know (or vice versa, lol - if HC doesnt know yet, I tell them to let her know).
We only have one 9 year old going into level 6. She chose "Poppy" and it is 55 seconds.
Most of our Optionals (Xcel Gold and Platinum and L6-8/9 and High School Team and Junior High Team) are at least 11 with the occasional 10 year old in Xcel Gold.

For our gymnasts that LOOK younger, we try to steer them towards Disney music or, for example, at 10 years old, YG did "Jump in the Line" aka "Shake Señora" and it could have been really cute.

Is Poppy the name of a song? I can't seem to find it... My DD has ruled out traditional Disney (princess music) but I can see her liking something like Jump in the Line. She's pretty small and looks young, but at least she has all her teeth this season! She's struggling with some of the Level 7 skills now and thinking about her floor music seems to be a big motivator for her!

Is Poppy the name of a song? I can't seem to find it... My DD has ruled out traditional Disney (princess music) but I can see her liking something like Jump in the Line. She's pretty small and looks young, but at least she has all her teeth this season! She's struggling with some of the Level 7 skills now and thinking about her floor music seems to be a big motivator for her!
The "Poppy" she is using is a shorter version of this:

Ok, that's the one I was talking about with the breaking glass and heavy breathing. No, it is overused. Seriously heard it about 30 times in 3 days, maybe more. Multiple times in each session from both gym floors. Find something fresh and different.
Lol, we only heard it once this season (or rather 1 gymnast from another team that we see multiple times a season).
The 9 year old REALLY likes it, lol.

I let my girls bring me 3-4 choices. If a song is over used, then at least I know her style and I will try to pick something similar. Sometimes, another coach or I find the perfect song for someone. Sometimes, you just have to tell a kid “No,” or maybe they can use it when they’re older. My teenage son found a cool song for me this year, I am just trying to match it to the right kid. I also always make sure that they love their song, two years is a long time.

It is really a group effort to find floor music.

I'm hearing a little less of the Crystallize/Lindsey Sterling stuff this past season, but there is still a lot of it out there.

And if you're looking at pop music, a wise coach once told us to keep in mind that your typical WAG JO judge is in her 40s or 50s, so . . . .

https://spinditty.com/playlists/Top-100-Songs-of-the-80s

https://spinditty.com/playlists/Top-100-Songs-of-the-90s

Edited one more time to add: why haven't I ever seen a floor routine to Wake Me Up Before You Go Go? How fun that would be for the right gymnast!
OMG. Wake Me Up was my daughter's first choice about 3 months ago, and then she changed her mind. Again.

My DD keeps looking at music and keeps going to modern pop girl power stuff like Katy Perry Rise, Rachel Platten Fight Song, etc. but I'm not convinced the coaches will approve them because she's really young and little (and can't dance!)... She doesn't like cutesy stuff but it would definitely "fit" better!
My youngest DD competed level 7 (9yrs old) competed to Walking on Sunshine this year. It was cute and fun.

I let my girls bring me 3-4 choices. If a song is over used, then at least I know her style and I will try to pick something similar. Sometimes, another coach or I find the perfect song for someone. Sometimes, you just have to tell a kid “No,” or maybe they can use it when they’re older. My teenage son found a cool song for me this year, I am just trying to match it to the right kid. I also always make sure that they love their song, two years is a long time.

It is really a group effort to find floor music.
At our gym, girls rarely use the same music for 2 years... exceptions are: High School gymnasts that also compete YMCA meets may keep theirs, gymnasts that were injured for most of the season may keep theirs ... but even then, a lot of girls want new music each year.

Ok, that's the one I was talking about with the breaking glass and heavy breathing. No, it is overused. Seriously heard it about 30 times in 3 days, maybe more. Multiple times in each session from both gym floors. Find something fresh and different.
It's possible that some of the ones you heard weren't Poppy... but were this one:

Lol, we only heard it once this season (or rather 1 gymnast from another team that we see multiple times a season).
The 9 year old REALLY likes it, lol.
She no longer gets Poppy. An older girl claimed Animals Skeleton Remix way earlier and it is too similar. Going to try to talk her into Ra - Ra- Rasputin :)

At our gym, girls rarely use the same music for 2 years... exceptions are: High School gymnasts that also compete YMCA meets may keep theirs, gymnasts that were injured for most of the season may keep theirs ... but even then, a lot of girls want new music each year.
Ha! Mine would WANT new music each year also but thank goodness her gym makes them do a 2 year rotation. New music means new choreography which means my wallet takes a big hit!

Ha! Mine would WANT new music each year also but thank goodness her gym makes them do a 2 year rotation. New music means new choreography which means my wallet takes a big hit!

Leos and warm-up every two years, new choreography every two years. I don’t know which is better for the parents, buy one every year or pay a lot one year and be able to afford a vacation the next.

I've heard this one more than a few times and even though I like contemporary music, I gotta say I am not a fan.

3 out of my 5 new optionals chose a Lindsey Stirling song for their floor music... I wasn't thrilled, but those songs were the ones that they loved the most and they were not the most popular ones so I let them decide.

How do they afford that? It's $350!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back