Parents Oy. Let the gym drama begin

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Should probably preface this by saying we're not intending to move at this time, or at any time in the next 1.5 years, at a minimum.

But, still have to vent about this to folks who understand.

So, the drama.

A few years ago - there were some fairly significant coaching changes in the optional levels. One coach left, due to family reasons, and a few others left b/c they felt they were w/o leadership.

The optional program has remained strong, in that girls are still getting scholarships, placing at regionals, etc. There are still good numbers on the L10 team, L9 has struggled to keep it's numbers up, and L7 and L8 are still strong.

Two of the highest profile gymnasts left during this. We've had a few trickle out since then.

But now? Now there is a new(ish) player in town, and the trickle has upped to a stream. Rumor has it, after the season, it will be a gush. Rumor is, of course, just that - and we'll see how it all plays out, but for now the rumor is strong and it's starting to be detrimental to the atmosphere of the gym.

Where dd is, is still a dominant force in compulsories. Most of these girls who have gone on to secure NCAA scholarships were raised in the gym - they started there in preschool classes and moved up the ranks. They clearly had a grasp on that development model - under the old HC leadership.

But now? You can start to see it's affects. More girls are getting injured. Some not so major things, some requiring surgery but they're able to come back, and some career ending injuries. An average observer can see it in how practices run now, as opposed to before.

The coaching changes are starting to trickle down to the lower levels, too. Some coaches are beginning to allow "good enough", instead of correcting small form errors - strong legs/pointing toes, tight passes, arch-y backs, small body piking. Scores are starting to slip.

Parents are starting to talk - especially parents of injured girls. The owner isn't painted in the highest esteem as she has in the past. The shine is starting to wear off.

It's all too much to consider now. As a family, this is the best place for her. But I can already see that little pinpoint of a light, the train that's approaching the station. My husband and I are committed to here through L4. Like I said - the compulsories are still strong on the state level. After that, she'll have 2 years under her belt, and a better feel for what she wants to do - what she wants to accomplish - how far she wants to go. She has those goals now, but she's five, and she's susceptible to the stars some of her coaches have in their eyes. She's trusting, and when they tell her she's a "big deal", she eats it up. What 5 year old wouldn't? We keep her grounded (or at least we try the best we can), and we keep her as normal as a 5 year old can be who spends 6-8 hours a week in the gym.

For now, the 20 minute drive to the gym is perfect for her, for us, for our family. But I can see already the allure of the "other" gym. I can see the atrophy at dd's gym. I can see the 45 minute drive becoming less of a hindrance than I see it to be right now.

Anyway - just had to share. With the season firing up full force - I'll be interested to see how it all plays out.

May is going to be very very interesting.

I don't blame you at all for being frustrated.....with all of these changes. I commend you for trying to stick it out for now. I hope that things improve soon and if they don't, please don't feel guilty for doing what is best for yourself and you daughter. Especially if you are concerned about injuries.

Best of luck to you guys!

While I can understand your frustration I think you are worrying to far into the future. I honestly would not worry about optional levels at this point sadly I have seen so many girls leave the sport in the past 4 years that my daughter has been competing. I do not know the particulars of the coaching relating to the injuries but I think when girls move up to those high optional levels they are doing risky difficult skills and injuries happen. Your daughter is very young I would just make sure she is safe with the coaches she has and that she is happy.

Panda-girl's Mom -
Absolutely. We're a "one year at a time" kind of family, and optionals really isn't even on our radar. I mentioned it because we're starting to see the "good enough" attitude trickle down to the compulsory levels. We've seen so much change in just the last two years - who knows what the next two years will hold. We're confident the coaching staff at L4 will stay the same through next year. They've been consistently successful, and we have confidence and trust in them. We're seeing some "slacking", if you will, on coaching at the L3 level, especially in beam. And you can see it again in floor in L5 & L6.

As far as injuries - of course bigger skills come with bigger risks, and those skills (and those risks) are getting bigger every year. But compulsory levels *aren't* increasing at that rate, and yet the injuries *are* increasing. I re-read what I posted and realized that I didn't make that clear the first time. The injury rate is up at the compulsory level. I don't know about the optional level - I haven't really been keeping tabs on them.

Like I said - we're committed through next season. After that, we'll re-evaluate and she where things lie. It will be a better time to evaluate where the current gym's program is headed, and see what happens at states/regionals now that the coaching changes are in full effect. As I mentioned, scores are slipping a little. They're still good enough to medal, and in many cases, bring home team championships. I just don't know how long they can keep it up if the newer gym is pulling more gymnasts over; you can only sustain so much atrophy before it affects morale.

Sorry to hear about all this. Gym changes can be frustrating, and often parents can do very little about it...except...well, leave. I hope it gets better and that most importantly your daughter continues to have fun. Through our ups and downs my daughters have never stopped having fun...so, we keep on keepin' on and try to roll with it all.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back