Coaches Pain because of going from TumbleTrak to Floor?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymcoachindy

This question may sound strange, but here's the situation:

I recently moved and took a head coaching position at a small gym (120 rec, 15 team). One of the things I've done in the past is to have the team practice certain skills (back/front-tuck, fronthandspring-front, etc.) on the trampoline or TumbleTrak, then go to the spring floor (after warming up, etc.) to do the skill. But, I'm getting complaints that their feet, ankles, and/or shins are hurting after going to floor. According to the gymnasts, it's because they're not supposed to go from a "soft" surface to a "hard" surface and that their previous coaches told them that doing so can cause pain.

I (and the kids) are aware of the timing and rebound differences. I am also aware that extra caution should be used with very young or inexperienced gymnast, but these are levels 4-7 and 9-15 y.o. (Seems to be the oldest that complain the most.)

In 23 years of coaching, I've never heard this. Was I sleeping in my Physio class, not paying attention in a coaching clinic, or is this a 'psychosomatic' reaction to their belief that the change causes the pain? Would their ankles be sore, regardless?

Anyone heard of this or experienced this, before?

This question may sound strange, but here's the situation:

I recently moved and took a head coaching position at a small gym (120 rec, 15 team). One of the things I've done in the past is to have the team practice certain skills (back/front-tuck, fronthandspring-front, etc.) on the trampoline or TumbleTrak, then go to the spring floor (after warming up, etc.) to do the skill. But, I'm getting complaints that their feet, ankles, and/or shins are hurting after going to floor. According to the gymnasts, it's because they're not supposed to go from a "soft" surface to a "hard" surface and that their previous coaches told them that doing so can cause pain.

I (and the kids) are aware of the timing and rebound differences. I am also aware that extra caution should be used with very young or inexperienced gymnast, but these are levels 4-7 and 9-15 y.o. (Seems to be the oldest that complain the most.)

In 23 years of coaching, I've never heard this. Was I sleeping in my Physio class, not paying attention in a coaching clinic, or is this a 'psychosomatic' reaction to their belief that the change causes the pain? Would their ankles be sore, regardless?

Anyone heard of this or experienced this, before?

Sounds like they are testing you. Don't fall for it.

Maybe they should just stay off of the tumbltrak.

Good luck.

I don't get it either. I do find that after being on tumble trak the spring floor feels like tumbling on bricks and all the shock and stress on the joints *seems* magnified because there's very little stress on the tumble trak. Honestly, if my kids were complaining of pain (for whatever reason, legitimate or not) I'd have them do more wrist and ankle conditioning. That's the best way I know to reduce pain!

I think its a combo of they were told they would feel pain, and they are testing to see what they can get away with. If they say are in pain- I would tell them that they def need more leg and ankle conditioning, and make them do it!

I would also do a lot of tubling up on 2 or 3 8 inch mats- landing on that soft surface will help as well as ehlp w/ the height of their tumbling!

Thanks, everyone! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I think it's just 'psychosomatic' -- they think it's going to hurt, so they feel it. A little extra conditioning with the idea that it will prevent the pain might counteract it.

Just to put another coach's point in there---I agree. As a gymnast I never had a problem going from tumbletrak to floor, and we did it a few times each night.

I didn't either, but I don't think I would have noticed -- I always pushed it until everything hurt, anyway! LOL!

The only thing I can think of is that if they're not used to going from TT to the floor, they might be trying to use TT technique on their first few turns on floor. (For example, on TT, I set at a greater angle and land with my feet further behind so that I don't fly into the pit, and I also wait much longer to punch.) I guess it's possible that if they were waiting for the floor to bounce them, they could be doing weird things, although it sounds more like they just don't want to do it.

I personally never liked going from TT to the floor, since I had trouble with slowing down my reaction time on TT, but it didn't usually make any body parts hurt to switch from one to the other.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back