WAG Panda/tiger paws

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymbee06

Proud Parent
So tonight I watched my dd practising what looked like a hundred robhs lol and noticed that after nearly all of them she was stretched her wrists I asked her coach about this and was just told that you can get panda paws(I think you guys call them tiger paws) to support the wrists. I'm kinda torn as when she was finished said that they were hurting while doing the robhs but they weren't by then end of practice and she hasn't complained of any pain but I don't know whether to get any or not. I haven't noticed anyone else in our gym wear them and I've read on here an a previous post I think that she needs to strengthen her wrists but then I don't want to cause her any problems if I can avoid it.
I guess I'm just looking for opinions on whether she should continue without them and hope no problems arise or get them to prevent any problems and also any recommendations on brands size etc thanks in advance

Well, you should definitely look into it if she is expressing discomfort with her wrists. Is it normal for them to do so many ROBHS on floor at a time? The main thing is that your dd is not in pain.

My dd said her wrists hurt before we got her Tiger Paws. She broke her finger on beam doing too many backhand springs on beam every practice. The broken finger led us to check her wrists because of her rubbing her wrists a lot after floor and beam for some time before the break. We found out she had stress fractures starting in her wrists. She missed quite a bit of her level 7 competition season, but the outcome was that she always protects her wrists with some sort of support on vault, floor, and beam. We left that gym, and they no longer have an optional team. The coaches did not even believe that she had stress fractures after she was in splints and kept wanting her to compete. I would not let her until the doctor released her.

I'm just sharing our experience. If I had it to do over, knowing what I know now, I would have taken her to sports ortho much sooner. I really cannot give an opinion on whether or not your dd should have wrist supports. Only a medical professional could diagnose a problem, and I have heard both sides of the wrist support question.

My dd needs wrist supports until her growth plates close. She loves TIGER PAWS and will not use another brand. The sizing measurements are given when ordering them and have always been accurate even though her hands are very small for her age.

Unfortunately, sounds like she has or will soon get an 'over use' injury. A huge part of coaching is knowing and understanding 'impact management', and sadly many coaches don't have a clue. Tiger Paws are more of a band aide than a fix. I think I would mention to the coach that you have noticed that her wrists have been a little sore after tumbling, and see what they say. Good luck. :)

My daughter had similar issues on the heels of *finally* being brave enough to try her ROBHS... She got so excited she must have done at least 15 of them during one open gym... Her wrists and arms were like jello for days!! Lol...

We just had to tell her that although repetition is key, sometimes less IS more-- the more she did and the more tired she became, and the sloppier the skill... She also has had less issues the better she has executed the skill...

I talked to coach about it and no recommendation for tiger paws or anything. Continuing to work on strengthening and keep reps to a necessary yet minimal level...

Good luck!

How exactly do you strengthen your wrists in a way to better handle what tumbling/vaulting can dish out? What muscles must be strengthened? And what exercises can do it?

My dd is hopefully on the tail end of resting her wrists. Damage to both growth plates. She had tried tiger paws previously but didn't like them. Now she will be forced to wear them on everything but bars. it stinks and she has lost almost 2 months of practice time. I would definitely take precautions and have her wear them. But also think about taking her in to make sure there isn't a lot of damage already.

My tiny 7-year-old who is training very basic tumbling skills (ROBHS, FHS) wears wrist supports at the suggestion of her pediatrician. The smallest size of Golden Hands work for her. The supports instantly ended the complaints, wrist-stretching, and wrist-rubbing after tumbling and handstands.

My DD started getting sore wrists when practicing a lot of tumbling skills. She now wears tiger paws whenever she is practicing tumbling skills on floor. They are also good for vault. Not so good on beam as they can slip. Tiger Paws are not a fix, they are for prevention, by slowing down and limiting the range of wrist extension.

To strengthen wrists you can use a 1kg weight and slowly flex and extend the wrist 10-20 times. This can also be done side to side. You can also use a small slosh pipe and hold it steady for 30-60 seconds.

My DD just jumped way up in training hours to 20 a week and has been complaining of wrist pain too. Coach said to get tiger paws. is there a big difference between those and golden hands? We just moved and I just had to buy her new grips so money is right right now. Thanks!

Our pediatric sports ortho said better to do wrist strengthening exercises and wear over the counter wrist supports (sold at Target etc) because wearing Tiger Paws doesn't allow the wrists to become stronger. My daughter is 15 Level 9 and her gym has the girls do a lot of wrist strengthening exercises. Only one girl wears the Tiger Paws because she had a growth plate issue.

Thanks for everyone's replies she hasn't been doing the skill that long and says it doesn't bother her on any other skills or events. Do you think it would be ok to leave it for maybe 2 weeks to give her a chance to get used to it? She doesn't complain after practice that they hurt during I only found out due to watching her practice will 2 weeks make that much difference if there is an injury/ overuse issue I would prefer to give her wrists a chance to strengthen but don't want to make any possible issues worse. Is there anything in particular she should do for strengthening? And how long should it be before there is improvement/ less or no pain?
Thanks everyone

My DD just jumped way up in training hours to 20 a week and has been complaining of wrist pain too. Coach said to get tiger paws. is there a big difference between those and golden hands? We just moved and I just had to buy her new grips so money is right right now. Thanks!
They are the same thing... just different company. If you go with Golden Hands, I would consider getting "seconds" ...
http://www.ten-o.com/Seconds-Golden-Hands-Wrist-Supports,1099.html

We have a pair and you can't tell the difference... We got beige - the coloring my be a little more off with other colors, but it doesn't affect the way they work so its no big deal. And it saves $$$

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back