Parents Parent drama

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter has been on team a couple years now and for the most part I am there for the last ten minutes of class to say hi to people but lately there is just so much drama. There are a couple of entitled parents and I stay out of it because it is not my business but get interjected into it because they seem to want their feelings validated and it’s giving me anxiety. Just wanted to vent and see other people’s experience with gym drama.

Bring a book and always be reading (even when youre not really reading lol). Or wear headphones (even if youre not listening to anything. Then people are less likely to engage you even for validation etc. For the most part our gym is drama free but theres always one ya know especially at the lower levels where parents can get competative about who gets what skills, whos in what group, and whos at what level. The longer you stick around I feel like the drama people weed themselves out. I read alot at gym and sometimes its funny just to sit and listen to some of the other drama that people will talk about in public places.

I have a naturally friendly and unthreatening facial expression, unfortunately, so I attract the crazy moms even when I just breeze in for pickup. It’s not the worst thing because at least I know who to keep a safe distance from and I get all of the info (accurate or not) that they obsess over collecting and analyzing. I always thought that the stories about comparing skills and ages at pre-team and compulsory levels were exaggerated. They are not.

My favorite gym parent just moved out of state and I’m sad because we mostly talked about TV shows and which places have the best onion rings. This summer, moms and dads new to the gym have tried to get me talking about who was born in which month of which year, who is the tallest, who is the shortest, who is going to skip which compulsory level, etc. I say “I don’t know, I’m not around much” and disengage. I never show up early without a book. Hopefully the chatter dies down once the season gets going.

I hate being in the waiting room for exact that reason

Yep, we have a few of those at our gym too. I second the suggestions above. I will sometimes directly seek out and start conversation with a parent I enjoy talking to, or pop in my airpod and “be in a meeting”. I also try to keep a couple good excuses to exit a convo on hand if need be, like “oh no…I think I left my phone in the car and I’m waiting for an important call”

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back