Parents Parent volunteer at competition

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am embarrassed to say how long it took me while reading this thread to figure out what the heck "flashing" was and why the kids would be doing it.

(In my defense, every meet in our area uses electronic scoring/scoreboards.)
I honestly wish every meet had electronic scoring!

TECHNICALLY, we don't have mandatory volunteering at our gym... you can CHOOSE not to volunteer (hopefully, you are at least willing to bring in a 24 pk or soda or water or gatorade or something - but you don't even have to do that)... and you can CHOOSE for your gymnast NOT to volunteer... HOWEVER, if the gymnast does not work a session, HC can, at her discretion, have the gymnast work the session in which she WAS scheduled to compete.
This is not usually a problem since the girls LOVE working the session (and they get a free concession stand meal out of the deal for EACH session they work).
At Championships, we had one girl with a BFH mom... Mom couldn't work a session because, since it was Dad's weekend with her gymmie, she was working at her job (completely understandable... and Dad's weekend, Dad should be volunteering anyways). She said her daughter couldn't work a session either... but she WOULD be there to compete (how did she know if the girl is with dad???). I offered to contact dad since he would have her and I am "the keeper of the parent contact information" ... but I didn't have his info (mom had conveniently left that completely out of the paperwork). When i asked for his email, Mom bit my head off... tenuous situation... dad doesn't support gymnastics... HC is the only one mom will communicate with from now on! Fine.
No problem. EXCEPT that mom lied about dad not supporting her gymnastics. HE brought DD to a meet in bad weather that was a 3 hour drive in GOOD weather! The next meet, mom dod NOT bring her to a meet that was a 2.5 hour drive in good weather because it was SUPPOSED to get bad later in the day (after her session of the meet was over).
Day of the meet, she is in the last session. Dad is sitting less than 10 feet from me the entire time. He is cheering her on! When he found out she qualified for Nationals, there were tears in his eyes!... I was standing RIGHT THERE and was the one to tell him (just as the coaches were telling her!). He asked me about the kids flashing scores because he thought DD would have liked to do something like that! I explained that we had sign ups, but I didn't have any information on him. He gave me his email and cell phone number and said to please keep him updated on important things.
So as to not further aggravate BFH mom, I friended him on Facebook and added him to the team page there... but did not add him to the team website (where SHE is a member). HC knows what is going on and liked my solution.

Wow that hurts my eyes more than your love of SHOUTY capital letters.

TECHNICALLY, we don't have mandatory volunteering at our gym... you can CHOOSE not to volunteer (hopefully, you are at least willing to bring in a 24 pk or soda or water or gatorade or something - but you don't even have to do that)... and you can CHOOSE for your gymnast NOT to volunteer... HOWEVER, if the gymnast does not work a session, HC can, at her discretion, have the gymnast work the session in which she WAS scheduled to compete.
This is not usually a problem since the girls LOVE working the session (and they get a free concession stand meal out of the deal for EACH session they work).
At Championships, we had one girl with a BFH mom... Mom couldn't work a session because, since it was Dad's weekend with her gymmie, she was working at her job (completely understandable... and Dad's weekend, Dad should be volunteering anyways). She said her daughter couldn't work a session either... but she WOULD be there to compete (how did she know if the girl is with dad???). I offered to contact dad since he would have her and I am "the keeper of the parent contact information" ... but I didn't have his info (mom had conveniently left that completely out of the paperwork). When i asked for his email, Mom bit my head off... tenuous situation... dad doesn't support gymnastics... HC is the only one mom will communicate with from now on! Fine.
No problem. EXCEPT that mom lied about dad not supporting her gymnastics. HE brought DD to a meet in bad weather that was a 3 hour drive in GOOD weather! The next meet, mom dod NOT bring her to a meet that was a 2.5 hour drive in good weather because it was SUPPOSED to get bad later in the day (after her session of the meet was over).
Day of the meet, she is in the last session. Dad is sitting less than 10 feet from me the entire time. He is cheering her on! When he found out she qualified for Nationals, there were tears in his eyes!... I was standing RIGHT THERE and was the one to tell him (just as the coaches were telling her!). He asked me about the kids flashing scores because he thought DD would have liked to do something like that! I explained that we had sign ups, but I didn't have any information on him. He gave me his email and cell phone number and said to please keep him updated on important things.
So as to not further aggravate BFH mom, I friended him on Facebook and added him to the team page there... but did not add him to the team website (where SHE is a member). HC knows what is going on and liked my solution.
And way too much (irrelevant) information about a family who may not wish to have the story of their life published on a public Internet forum.

[/
QUOTE]

Y

What is a BFH mom?

And way too much (irrelevant) information about a family who may not wish to have the story of their life published on a public Internet forum.
It's ok. I know that this same description could apply to SEVERAL families I have encountered in the past few years. And it wasn't a whole life story. It was about volunteering at meets and one particular situation I encountered and a HAPPY resolution. :)

Way too much detailed personal about someone else's family. You and your gym are easily identifiable, therefore this family are easily identifiable. Eeek. And please stop shouting.

I try not to shout, but do it for emphasis - just like in real life :) I am me. I like tiny print for the whisper effect, lol.

But I would like you to stop, it is not really good internet form to use caps as it is perceived as aggression. You do know we have rules about grammar, punctuation etc.

This applies everyone not just you. Please avoid colours, odd fonts, changing the sizes of the font. It makes it hard to read. Plus when we change the system we run on, old threads can be rendered unreadable because the code that creates the changes becomes visible and is then part of the post.

Last edited:
We host at least 3 meets a year. We use to have a volunteer sign up but had drama with parents and kids. So now there are no volunteers. Scoring is all digital now, so there are no runners or score displayers. Just timers. The same person works the door all sessions, and the same person works concession, the same person does score sheets etc. etc. it makes for a very long exhausting weekend but it runs like a well oiled machine with everyone knowing exactly what needs to be done where and when.

Way too much detailed personal about someone else's family. You and your gym are easily identifiable, therefore this family are easily identifiable. Eeek. And please stop shouting.
But, as I said before, this could describe a number of families I know. And the only people that can "easily" identify me and my gym are those to whom I have revealed myself in private messages or am friends with on a more personal level.

Sorry raenndrops but you are definitely wrong about not being identifiable. I do not know you personally nor have I ever conversed with you by PM, but you have revealed enough info previously that I know who you are and what gym you are associated with. Not to be stalker-ish, but it is surprisingly easy to figure people out on a public forum.

Our last competition of the season is coming up, it also happens to be the meet have host. This is the first year at this club and so it will be a new experience with volunteering at the meet.

At our old gym only parents were allowed to volunteer, kids were only allowed to be their as spectators, and it was a mandatory parent volunteer, and you had to volunteer for 1 day out of the 3 day meet.

At our new gym this year parents only have a mandatory 1/2 day of volunteering, and the kids are expected to hang out at the meet and help/ volunteer, as long as they are over the age of 8. I guess they can get the 8 year olds to do stuff like 50/50 and be score runners etc.

My question is what is your gyms rules about parent volunteering at competitions
= Sounds like a good deal to me! :)

Sorry raenndrops but you are definitely wrong about not being identifiable. I do not know you personally nor have I ever conversed with you by PM, but you have revealed enough info previously that I know who you are and what gym you are associated with. Not to be stalker-ish, but it is surprisingly easy to figure people out on a public forum.
PM me with my info please. I am curious.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back