Parents Cleaning the Gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Interesting topic...at DD's gym parents don't clean the bathrooms regularly. Coaches empty the trash in the bathrooms daily as part of their jobs, and during home meets, one of the parents' jobs is "bathroom monitor." I've personally never volunteered for that job!

Nope, no cleaning for us either. Can't believe a gym would expect that.

That said, I always clean up the bathroom when I am in it at the gym. I know it is hard with 100s of little girls in and out and I will pick up loose paper towels, push down the trash and wipe off the sink. :) But I would be upset if I was told it was my responsibility to do that. I do it because I want to.

Parent Cleaning - Sanitizing Equipment?

I'm actually a parent who cleans the gym for credit toward monthly fees. It works out very well for me right now, but I'm hoping to pass this job along to someone else soon.

What do you guys use to sterilize the gym equipment? With all of the nasty that's going around, I'm worried that I'm not sanitizing well enough. :sneeze:

Thanks!

The gym owner told me I wasn't to use bleach because it wouldn't be good for the mats. So sometimes I use PineSol (diluted) and I have tried OdoBan (diluted). I was thinking I would change to Lysol, but I honestly would like to use bleach. Is it not damaging to the mat covers? Do you also use it on the beams? And this might be a dumb question, but is there a way to sanitize the bar?

We use a bleach-water solution on all our mats with no problems. For equipment that can't get wet, we spray Lysol from a safe distance over the vault, springboard, beam, bars etc.

Our parents only clean to prepare for a meet and help with clean up after a meet. It's one of the ways they can earn their volunteer hours through the Booster Club. On a daily basis, no way do we ask parents. Clean up is all divied between the staff on a daily basis.

As for cleaning mats. Bleach, bleach, bleach. We use approx 1/4 bleach, 3/4 water. No bleach on the beam, vault or carpet of course. You can spot bleach bars if there is a bloody spot from rips, but other than that Lysol spray. Lysol spray for anything we can't bleach. The floor carpet area is always our problem spot. Lots' of vacuumming weekly, but it's difficult to truly sanitize.

This season we keep Clorox wipes handy all around the gym to clean up the preschool drool/snot etc. as it happens. Gross, I know... but reality of the trade. We also don't hesitate to send nose pickers directly to the bathroom or hand sanitizers if we catch them pickin. We have kleenix all over the gym for them to use so we are trying to "change the habits" in the gym.

Our gym is a volunteer club, and even then we don't ask parents to clean toilets. We do however ask for their help twice a week to pack up equipment for another activity to use the hall. They are quite happy to do this. (they are only paying $4-$5 Australian dollars for class). So I think a little bit of help can be called for.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back