Coaches Partial Handstand (Xcel Bronze)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have a kid with some major fear and confidence issues. She has been competing a lever so far this year and scoring relatively well. She has been working really hard on her handstand but it's still not quite there, but she really wants to compete it this weekend. She gets her top leg to almost 45 from vertical (most of the time), however her other foot only comes 3-4in. off the beam at most.
Does anyone know how they are judging this skill? I have warned her that her score would likely be lower than it is with the lever and that if her back leg is not high enough she will not get credit.
She competed it at our in house meet in Dec., got her first foot back on the beam and then fell and scored in the 7s for an otherwise nice routine, she has not scored lower than an 8.4ish, even with a fall, on the lever, so I'm wondering if there are huge deductions that can be taken on this skill? Or if judges are just unsure what to do with it?
Thanks for any input! We will be talking about it tonight and hopefully making a decision.

I know their handstand doesn't have to reach vertical, I believe is 45 degrees from vertical, but I don't think all judges know that. I know for a fact some judges are judging based on compulsory skills. Which sucks for our Xcel girls. Same with the cast on bars. I do believe their feet must come together though . Same with the handstand dismount.

Top/lead leg must reach 45 degrees from vertical to receive credit for bronze (for silver, the legs must close!). I think the partial handstands often have leg form and body form errors (failure to lever in and out).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back