Off Topic Passing time

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
So, how is everyone passing the time while on stay at home or safer at home orders? Other than gymnastics (I know! There is nothing other than gymnastics!) What are you doing?? How are you passing the time??

Me? Well, I am working from home. I teach special education in an elementary school, so I am working M-F from 7 until 4 or 5 trying to help students. Somehow, it is more exhausting than when I was being punched, kicked etc at work! I would much rather go back and see my kiddos in person. SO many are non verbal and I so miss getting to connect with them.

I am also cooking dinner nightly, and our family gets to sit down and eat together. My oldest is staying with us for now, rather than alone in an apartment, so we all get to hang. We have also done a few puzzles, some exercising and lots of tv and reading.

We’ve been drawing/painting/coloring, watching tv and movies, cooking and baking, taking walks, and exercising. My girls have been doing school but that’s coming to an end soon and we are gonna have a lot more time to fill yet.

Well, I own a gym. The gym is shut but the work never ends, running zoom classes, doing online training videos, maintaining staff, helping students etc etc etc. A bit less intense than it was before, but still very intense as it takes longer to do everything as everything now has to be done in a different way.

We’ve been drawing/painting/coloring, watching tv and movies, cooking and baking, taking walks, and exercising. My girls have been doing school but that’s coming to an end soon and we are gonna have a lot more time to fill yet.

Sounds great. Luckily both of my kids are doing summer classes, so that will keep them busy once school is over. The eldest will eventually go back to her apartment as well...

Well, I own a gym. The gym is shut but the work never ends, running zoom classes, doing online training videos, maintaining staff, helping students etc etc etc. A bit less intense than it was before, but still very intense as it takes longer to do everything as everything now has to be done in a different way.

Knowing that what I am doing now is harder than usual, I can imagine you are having the same issues. It should be less time, but the amount of time it takes to get ready for and prep for the online stuff seems harder. Thanks for keeping up with your kids this way! I love that gyms are doing this!

Well...The problem is that teachers are trying to replicate the school day, which isn’t really how homeschooling should be done. I have homeschooled in the past and this is a whole different ballgame - where I am responsible for doing the teaching but not for the curriculum selection or the schedule. So by the time I finish getting three kids through school for the day plus take care of my regular responsibilities, my day is always shot. Honestly I’ve lost almost ten pounds since this started only because I’m so busy that I keep forgetting to eat. Even though we haven’t even gone anywhere in six weeks! And I am unemployed! It blows my mind.

Even though I am not pursuing anything cool, luckily my kids are each other’s best friends and they have endless imaginations so there is never enough time in the day for them to pursue all of their ideas. They have done backyard sports, conditioning competitions, scootering, chalk art, playing school (after real school is over for the day, go figure!), they invented their own currency and started “businesses” trying to sell each other their junk, card games, they’ve been learning spanish together with duolingo, exploring music from past decades, reading books, drawing, baking etc.

My favorite thing is probably that without gym my daughter has had time to pursue art. Until now I have delayed any official drawing lessons because I love the way her own style shines through when it is uninfluenced by the style of a teacher or “rules” or a step-by-step art book. But she’s 9 and kept saying recently that she wants her drawings to look real and not like cartoons, so... it was time. I gotta say I love this too. I will miss the childlike art but it’s also fun to watch her talent blossom. She’s been watching a lot of YouTube tutorials, got a set of real drawing pencils and a figure mannequin with her own money and has done some cool stuff this week. It gives me hope that if gym never comes back, she will still find ways to feel fulfilled and happy.

kendo348 reading your post really made me smile. Sounds like a fantastic opportunity for your kids to pursue the things that make them happy.

Well...The problem is that teachers are trying to replicate the school day, which isn’t really how homeschooling should be done. I have homeschooled in the past and this is a whole different ballgame - where I am responsible for doing the teaching but not for the curriculum selection or the schedule. So by the time I finish getting three kids through school for the day plus take care of my regular responsibilities, my day is always shot. Honestly I’ve lost almost ten pounds since this started only because I’m so busy that I keep forgetting to eat. Even though we haven’t even gone anywhere in six weeks! And I am unemployed! It blows my mind.

Even though I am not pursuing anything cool, luckily my kids are each other’s best friends and they have endless imaginations so there is never enough time in the day for them to pursue all of their ideas. They have done backyard sports, conditioning competitions, scootering, chalk art, playing school (after real school is over for the day, go figure!), they invented their own currency and started “businesses” trying to sell each other their junk, card games, they’ve been learning spanish together with duolingo, exploring music from past decades, reading books, drawing, baking etc.

My favorite thing is probably that without gym my daughter has had time to pursue art. Until now I have delayed any official drawing lessons because I love the way her own style shines through when it is uninfluenced by the style of a teacher or “rules” or a step-by-step art book. But she’s 9 and kept saying recently that she wants her drawings to look real and not like cartoons, so... it was time. I gotta say I love this too. I will miss the childlike art but it’s also fun to watch her talent blossom. She’s been watching a lot of YouTube tutorials, got a set of real drawing pencils and a figure mannequin with her own money and has done some cool stuff this week. It gives me hope that if gym never comes back, she will still find ways to feel fulfilled and happy.

This is awesome. First, I am sorry that your teachers are trying to replicate the school day. That is definitely not what we are doing, in any way. OF course, some parents are still not happy that we are not doing that, so we cannot make everyone happy. We are pushing out lessons for kids, and they can do them when they can. I do have live times with my students, but they rarely come. My own kids still have school, and they are doing similar things. Putting up lectures and lessons for kids to do when they can. I have seen schools doing what you are saying and it is crazy!!!

So cool that your kids are doing all of that fun stuff! I love that!

Trying to stay sane - enjoying the free trial that Peleton offered to stay in shape, lots of dog and family walks in the neighborhood and working. I am in healthcare, so still going to work daily and my husband is special education at the middle school level. Between work and managing all the kids school zooms, school work and gym zoom (I have both son and daughter gymnast) it has been a little crazy. But I am enjoying more family time and an earlier dinner time.

OF course, some parents are still not happy that we are not doing that, so we cannot make everyone happy.

It’s true - it’s impossible to please everyone! Parents who have to work from home all day and/or whose kids are used to structured activities/being entertained want the schools to do more than they are doing so that their kids are kept busy. We happen to be on the other end of the spectrum, where we don’t need that and I resent the school having increased control over our home life. It would be fine if they offered stuff and said take it or leave it like you are doing, but one teacher in particular goes overboard on expecting that her idea of what the kids’ day should look like happens. It’s a hard balance. Teachers are doing their best. I do wish I could remember to eat though lol.

I don’t pretend to know what chipfolk is (looked it up and didn’t find anything) but my kids and I liked this!

I dunno if it's really a thing, it's just what I'm calling the style. I'm taking American (especially Appalachian) folktunes and arranging them in chiptune style (ie imitating the sound of old video game consoles).

I don't know of anybody else doing this, but I doubt I'm the first.

Last edited:
The Pumas are doing the best we can! We have good days and bad days...Puma is busier than ever trying to teach US History and Sociology from home (his APUSH kids still have the AP exam), and teach Brazilian jiu-jitsu via zoom. I’m still at work (part time, thankfully!) as a pharmacist and getting as many miles in as our terrible Syracuse weather will allow. I’m doing a few virtual races. Both kids are being (mostly lol) great sports about online school. They miss their friends and activities terribly... Puma Jr is still healing from her January 28 vault injury. The break is healing nicely, but there is damage to two ligaments, so she still can’t do all that much. Thankfully her gym has zoom conditioning meetings, so I’m glad she‘s connecting with teammates and getting some physical activity though she has to modify. Anyone who knows me on FB has probably seen some of our quarantine craziness...we did a murder mystery party, a dance party to BGT’s Crumble Lady Golden Buzzer, a birthday party for our cat :p....Also, lots of walks, movies and board games. Between Two Cities is our favorite right now. And lots and LOTS of zoom/google duo/FT “happy hours“...lol stay safe everyone!

I’m learning how to make different breads. I just started a sourdough “starter” yesterday too. So far, I’ve only been doing basic white bread recipes. Just trying to get my bread rhythm down. It’s such a gratifying feeling to see and smell homemade bread.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back