WAG Patellar Tendonitis

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymjunkie

Coach
Proud Parent
Judge
Can I hear some experiences with how your gymnast got relief from this? This is for a L10 who has cut back considerably on vault and floor to let it heal. She does her prescribed PT exercises daily in addition to seeing a PT in the office and is still not enough getting relief/progress after many months.

I had it as a level 8 (or the equivalent of level 8, anyway).

Not much you can do except take it easy for a season and wait for it to get better. It's a good opportunity to improve bars, strength, and flexibility, at least.

(Sorry I don't have a better answer)

I agree with Taucer. My daughter was Level 7 when her patellar tendonitis first flared up. It took a couple months and pain subsided. She did used a knee strap. It flared again the last meet of her Level 9 season. She only got to compete two events at regionals. She was a few months short of turning 12. It hasn’t flared up since. She is 20 years old now and a junior competing at a Div 1 team. So it does go away. But my daughter took it easy and avoided tumbling when it happened.

Even with rest and PT, my daughter’s patellar tendinitis did not improve. She is 15 and lvl 8. She would likely have moved to 9 but has been held back due to having to sit out training because of her knee. After X-rays and an MRI, it was determined that she was a good candidate for the Tenex procedure. Essentially, an ultrasound guided needle is used to clean up the damaged tissue while leaving the healthy tissue untouched.

My daughter had this procedure ten days ago and woke the day afterwards in less pain than she had been in prior to the procedure. She is pain free for the first time in years. She will be starting PT in a couple weeks and will hopefully only be out of full training for six weeks. I had searched this forum hoping that someone else had had this done but couldn’t find anything. She is so happy she opted to have this done and should be back for season in the late half of December.

Even with rest and PT, my daughter’s patellar tendinitis did not improve. She is 15 and lvl 8. She would likely have moved to 9 but has been held back due to having to sit out training because of her knee. After X-rays and an MRI, it was determined that she was a good candidate for the Tenex procedure. Essentially, an ultrasound guided needle is used to clean up the damaged tissue while leaving the healthy tissue untouched.

My daughter had this procedure ten days ago and woke the day afterwards in less pain than she had been in prior to the procedure. She is pain free for the first time in years. She will be starting PT in a couple weeks and will hopefully only be out of full training for six weeks. I had searched this forum hoping that someone else had had this done but couldn’t find anything. She is so happy she opted to have this done and should be back for season in the late half of December.

My daughter had this procedure ten days ago and woke the day afterwards in less pain than she had been in prior to the procedure. She is pain free for the first time in years. She will be starting PT in a couple weeks and will hopefully only be out of full training for six weeks. I had searched this forum hoping that someone else had had this done but couldn’t find anything. She is so happy she opted to have this done and should be back for season in the late half of December

Ignore the previous glitchy post. She is getting a consult for this procedure next month. I assume this would be a season-ending recovery? Please share details if you don't mind.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back